River Rock 2 AA with a pic inside

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one today, nice construction, similar to my old, now gone Elektrolumens XM3. Decently bright, typical Nichia blueness at the edge (not too bad) and pretty white in the middle with in a beam similar to the SF KL1/Coase Lensers. Finished nicely, beam is clean. Pockets nicely. Not bad for $20.
Scan10003.jpg

Last edited:

tmf2

Newly Enlightened
I liked the looks and finish but found the very tight spot without
any spill to be useless. I'm going to pawn it off to someone
at Christmas.

Dennis

InfidelCastro

Banned
The only thing I don't like about my 2C is the slight blue tint, but it's not horrible in that respect.

I love this flashlight! It's the one that now sits next to my bed at night.

My 2C has a small amount of sidespill. I haven't tried the 2AA model, but am considering one, although I don't see the point since the 2C is a 1.5W instead of .5W and it's not much bigger + has a much longer runtime. I love the 2C model!! I wish they supplied them with an endcap though, I always worry about the lense.

InfidelCastro

Banned
GarageBoy said:
Err the 2AA is a Nichia Jupiter, 1.5 Watt

Oh yes, I think you're correct, my bad.

Then the beams may be similiar. I do like the 9+ hour runtime of the C model though.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Wow, thanks for the comparison shots. Looks like the 2AA has a slightly brighter hotspot, but about zero sidespill.

The beam on that 2C has an orange tint that mine doesn't have. Mine looks more like the 2AA on the left, only with more sidespill and no rings around the hotspot. Mines almost like a spotlight in that respect.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infidel, your light doesn't have rings around the hotspot?

I'm kind of surprised at the green-ness of the one light... I'm afraid I'd have to take that back if it's as pronounced as it looks in the pics.

My 2C has a very bluish-white hotspot with a few blue rings and one single tan looking ring. It takes some getting used to, but I can see applications where one would want just the spot with basically no spill beam. I just wonder how many folks that don't know anything about flashlights are buying these two lights and being very surprised at the beam.

Still, for ~$20, these are very nicely finished lights with great build quality. I made a PVC spacer so I can use rechargeable NiMH AA cells in my 2C. After running it through several charges, I SWEAR it's brighter than when new.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Mine has no rings around the hotspot, but it does have the slightly blue tint to the outer shell and a slight green tint to the hotspot as well.

.... I take that back, just shined it against the wall close and their are three outer rings. If I shine it at the wall twenty feet away the rings are near invisible except for the large outer ring which is barely visible.

Last edited:

Radio

Modulated Moderator
My RR 2AA and 2C both looked as bad if not worse than the one on the right, very green, took em back, glad to see some others can finally verify the green tint. Thought it might have been my wall!!

BlackDecker

Enlightened
tmf2 said:
I liked the looks and finish but found the very tight spot without
any spill to be useless. I'm going to pawn it off to someone
at Christmas.

Dennis

I agree with you. I find the RR 2AA light with zero spill to be pretty much useless. I use my RR 2AAA lights quite a lot in comparison. They offer plenty of spill and some throw. The 2AAA lights don't have that stupid magnifier lens affixed to the front like the 2AA model does.

Last edited: