New laser gun now available!!! Woohoo!!!!

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Pretty cool,
I wonder what the length of the pulse is? It sounds like just one very short blast(probably less than a milisecond or two) and then 20-30 seconds to recharge.
Being IR it would not have a big WOW factor as the beam or shot would be invisible, but it could probably make neat little holes in objects on the othe side of the room:)

Jack

EGP

Newly Enlightened
According to the extra info available when pressing the 'Additional info' button, it outputs 1 - 3 Joules in 500 usec pulses, equal to a 6000W pulse !! :huh:

They claim it's enough to blast small holes in the hardest metals, with the beam properly focused.

Wonder what kind of eye protection you would need for this ?

Cheers,
Erling

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
They've had this kit for sale even pre-internet in the back of science magazines. I'm sure it can "blast holes" in the hardest metals, if they're drawn into incredibly fine foil.

It's an impressive device, but it's been around for some time in it's present form, it's not exactly the launch point for a laser revolution...

Dosen't mean I'd mind having one though... :D

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing these YEARS ago in a small science sales mag called someting "Amazing" something-or-another. Along with that was a laser kit (which I bought) that has a 1mW HeNe, power supply kit, 4AA holder, and plastic tubing. The whole thing was like a big white blaster from a sci-fi show. At that time there were NO commercial pointers, and this was the thing to have. This was AT LEAST 15 years ago as I had it my Senoir year at HS.

They also has a 'multi color pseudo LASER' that I also bought. All it contained was two tubes that fit in each other, red, green and yellow LEDs, and a long focus lens. It could project a spot 20-30 feet, but not too bright. I felt REALLY ripped off, IIRC it cost about $20.

Jeff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in the early-1980s, I bought the "simulated laser kit" from this outfit, consisting of a telescoping metal tube, a long focal length lens, a 4xAA battery pack, and a circuit to feed a Fairchild FLV-104 red LED high current pulses. It could project a narrow red beam 30-40 feet, but like Jeff says, not all that bright.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Many many years ago I saw a science fair exhibit where a student whipped up a pulsed laser with a ruby rod, flashlamp, power supply and some other odds and ends. The rig was able to blast holes in a razor blade (with many pulses). The student rated the laser's power in "Gillettes."
:)

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
If anyone wants one of these it's probably wise to buy it while one still can. At some point someone will buy one and do something stupid with it and end up getting them outlawed. It didn't take long for people to start doing stupid poop with laser pointers.

Do all of the companies that sell these have signed affidaviths as a requirement prior to sale? I've only seen one that does require it.

HD58PHD

Newly Enlightened
WERD! When they pry them from our cold,dead,bullet-ridden hands.
We have to really thank the powers that be for protecting us from ourselves.
I can't imagine living this long without their divine intervention.
LOL!!!

glire

Enlightened
If I remember correctly, there was a 10% coupon code on mvktech. I can't find it now. Did I miss it or is it no valid anymore?
Thanks.