xnova 8 versus fenix 1lp

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

:awman: I'm totally confused. I've been trying to research very dilligently regarding xnova 8 versus fenix 1lp. However, I came to the conclusion that it seems xnova 8 is brighter overall is this right?

Second, I see the runtime for both lights are pretty similar. Can anyone confirm this?

Note that we're comparing fenix 1lp v2.5 versus xnova 8 newest one.

Also I know that they're in different classes, but just comparing brightness.

Thanks!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Neither one has a pocket clip, so I don't know how you're supposed to carry them.

Well, clip or no, I carry my Fenix in my pocket ;)

While I don't have the xnova specifically, I've seen similar lights; they are a good value, but are in a totally different class of light IMHO. I can't comment on a direct brightness comparison, but the Fenix is sure to have better tint and be able to throw much farther than a 5mm LED light. The general build quality and finish are also far superior.

Considering the xnovas cost about a fourth the price of the Fenix L1P, they are clearly a good cheap option for getting a lot of light out of a AA cell, but if you can afford the Fenix (which is still cheap for its quality range) I'd say go with that.

Sorry if I just reiterated what you already knew and couldn't directly answer you're question.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have one of the newest XNovas on the way and I also have some of the HAIII XNovas from the group buy which are pleasantly bright.

Right off comparing it to my Fenix L1P v2.5, the Fenix has a tremendously larger spill beam... The XNova has a larger hotspot than the Fenix's hotspot, but outside of that hotspot, there's basically no spill beam. Neither one is better than the other but my personal preference is, outdoors I'd like a lot of spill beam while indoors it's less important to me.

Of course, since you can get the XNova for like $5... why not just get a couple and if you don't like them, give them away as gifts?

If I could only keep one, it would DEFINATELY be the Fenix but I've given away more XNovas as gifts than any other light and they are a fine value for a single AA cell light.

pizzaman

Enlightened
The clip from a Gerber Infinity Ultra is a superb fit on the Fenix L1P. I wore it this way for a while till I decided to cut the "ears" off the clip. This allows it to be mounted closer to the end of the light for more pocket stealth.

I wore it that way all day today in total comfort. Much nicer than laying in the bottom of my pocket. It is much more comfortable than my SF A2, which feels more like a lead pipe in my pocket compared to the Fenix. The Fenix with a clip in now my favorite EDC. The light is always lens down and I no longer reach in my pocket and put my thumb right on the lens instead of the switch. It is a great light.

My Gerber now wears a neck lanyard, which is my favorite carry for this light around the house at night when the rest of the family is asleep. :sssh:

I don't have any experience with the Xnova.

Hope this was of some help.

TR

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forum member GJW organized a group buy. Details can be seen here and here.

I just did a whole bunch of beamshots this evening and happened to use both lights being discussed here. It's hard to capture all the detail of beams in an honest and realistic manner, but these are pretty close. Be sure to look at the light switch. See how it's better lit up with the Fenix... that's what I was talking about spill beam. Also notice how you can see details on the table, outlet and the doorstop (to the lower left of the painting on the left). All these things are illuminated by the spill beam of the Fenix.

I'd probably say that the Fenix puts out at least twice as much total light but a fair bit of that ends up in the spill beam that's missing from the XNova. Xnova is on top of course, with the Fenix below.

IMG_1784%20HAIII%20Xnovaa.jpg

IMG_1785%20Fenixa.jpg

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Wow I think you just made my day :whistle: , I can rest easy that I made the right choice! It seems that the Fenix is much brighter and much whiter in beam!

Anyhow I bought 1 fenix(from another store), 3 xnova 8, 1 karmen from chinaquality goods with 6 rechargeables lithium battery:broke: :sold: . The owner said it was his personal favourite.
Thanks again! You didn't have to take those beam shots!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Neither one has a pocket clip, so I don't know how you're supposed to carry them.

I carry mine in the pouch, beside my wallet and multi-tool, in my left rear pocket.
Great little light!!

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The above shots were from 15 feet. And I actually took those shots before I read this post... Actually, I took about 20 at the time and ironically, the XNova and Fenix were taken back to back, again before I read this thread!

I'll try to take some from 5 ft and 1ft later this evening... of course, I'll need to change the camera settings as I suspect either will be blown out with the f2.8/1 second setting from those close distances.