Looking for glo-toob type lights

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I remember seeing a glo-toob type light with 4 LEDs in a cylindrical-shaped tube, but can't seem to remember where I saw it.

Any other links and info on similar lights, pls do share with me as well. Generally to be used as an area lighting device, but it has to be small and really portable (like a glo-toob, but I'm not choosing it cuz it's expensive and the batteries are hard to get).

It's to be brought for travel and for standby in case there's a power outage in the hotel and some light is needed to pack-up the luggage. Preferably bright, able to stand and hang, uses regular batteries (even CR123a is acceptable) etc..

Pls gimme some names/links/retailers or something... thanks!!

gnef

Enlightened
http://www.islandtactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=19000

that is what you are talking about, but it is used more of as a marker, not really bright enough for what you want to do, i think.

i think what you want more is a lantern. search for the River Rock lantern. I believe it is fairly small, has some glare, decent run time, and i believe it runs off AA cells, but i could be wrong. it has become fairly popular around here, just look around the threads for it.

hope this helps!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi gnef,

Thanks for the reply. I know about the glo-toob, but am avoiding it cuz its expensive and uses strange batteries and am looking for alternatives. The RR lantern is really small for a lantern, but isn't 'small' for a ladies handbag kind of small. :)

gnef

Enlightened
i see. sorry for the misunderstanding.

the fenix L1P has become an extremely popular light on these forums (in fact, i have one on its way to me now.. :] )

it's not really an area light though, but it would be good enough to pack up with and is able to stand on end in 'candle mode', which could light a small area from reflected light.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
got one of those too, great light, 'cept mine had a faulty tailcap and it was sent for repair and now its possibly lost in the mail! Heh... rats...

Actually my girlfriend will be the one using the light, and she doesn't want anything more than $10, otherwise I mite have bought her a Fenix.... :D

Streak

Enlightened
Safelight have just come out with their new Compact version.
Basically a complete re-design of the original model.
It nows uses the new Nichia CS led, has done away with the lens so the beam pattern is now far more useable, much stronger magnet, 5 modes (off, find in the dark, 50%, 100% and SOS).
I have used mine for travel, night light for the kids etc. etc.

If there is enough interest I can post more details.

Should be available in the USA soon.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The new Safe-Light has the LED shrouded by solid rubber - perhaps not the best "area light" - but bounced off the ceiling may not be bad. Their basic Safe-Light (aka HUMVEE) model has a clear shroud over the LED and would make a better "area light" if you go that route.

The 4AA 2 LED folding Energizer Lantern (Office Depot had them for around $3 or $4) packs well, has a high or low mode, 200 hour runtime on low - really should check one out.

Additionally, a Mini-Mag with an MJLED in it would be an EXCELLENT area light in the candle mode and can use as a standard flashlight as well! Well built for sure. What's a Mini-Mag cost $8 + $4 or so for an MJLED...

I'm sure there's lots of other ideas out there and they'll no doubt work their way into this thread. These that I've suggested certainly are packable and seem to be within your needs/price range.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak said:
If there is enough interest I can post more details.QUOTE]

Ha. Of COURSE there is enough interest for you to post more details! Does this look like The Knitting Forum to you?! I'd like to know.

:laughing:

Actually Streak, I was also wondering if you've got any info on those Glo-Toob FX clickie switches that are supposed to be coming out soon. I am really interested in those. You have some inside info with Toob Co, IIRC. When will they start using the newer, brighter Nichias?

Streak

Enlightened
Hi Phaserburn,
I have played with the Glo-Toob with the new clickie switch already!!! Watch this space. I am working with them on another project as well. Avatar is a clue!!

Here are some pics of the new Safelight showing the mounting of the Led, reltive size and brightness, magnetic clip, easy to use coin operated battery housing etc. etc.

safelight_015.jpg

safelight_001-1.jpg

safelight_003-1.jpg

safelight_004-1.jpg

Fire away if you have any more questions.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the various options guys.. the Lazer Stick looks nice, esp since I'm a glowstick person..haha.. Safelight looks pretty handy too!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Streak! Yes, I did notice your avatar and was thinking about that! Can you give any info at all on that? Looks very interesting. I love stuff like this. I'm like a crow; I'm attracted to bright, blinky lights! I am definitely in for a Toob clickie when they come out. Any chance you have access?

Thanks for the post and pics. Looking forward to the Safelight, too.

HARDMETAL

Newly Enlightened
the 23a cell for glo-toob is not very expensive about usd1 /pc.
glo-toob price about usd 22,it is useful & convenience for carrying .

Streak

Enlightened
Yes, Phaserburn, I have that reputation as well!!
I have Glo-Toobs all over the place, the new Safelight is following as a close second.

As for the avatar, blue flashing light for local law enforcement application.

Streak

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak said:
As for the avatar, blue flashing light for local law enforcement application.

Drat! I was hoping you'd say a light with the function of the Glo-Toob FX, but with a different battery (like 123A).

Oh well.

-john

LowWorm

Enlightened
I'm with Phaserburn - love my Glo-toobs like little luminescent children. According to the Glo-Toob guys:

--------------------------
We have indeed finished the new push button cap - and a solid state "scuba" cap as well. Both will be available in a three-cap-pack (push, solid, and original twist) and also the new packaging for the regular Glo-toob's (both FX and Std) will be now sold with all three caps as well. We should have the new packaging available hopefully in late January - we really wanted it for Christmas, but unfortunately we had delays at the factory. We also have a new clip holder and a pouch which is available already.
---------------------------------------------