• Forget cutting off just the thumb, cut off the entire hand

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just heard this on the news

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174515,00.html
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47207

Apparently, graffiti has become such a huge problem that the mayor of Las Vegas is wanting to take some pretty drastic measures.

In my opinion, I think it sounds like cruel and unusal punishment but I still added the third option as I can still (awakwardly) shoot a gun (Think of the Kan Gun spray can attachment) and use a flashlight, marker, or pencil somewhat with four fingers.

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wtf: Talk about having a loose cannon at City Hall.

That's just Grand Standing, pure and simple. This guy is looking for is a knee jerk reaction from the public in order to bring the issue into the forefront and keep people thinking about it for more than a few days.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Cutting off any body part probably wouldn't pass constitutional muster but I voted for cutting off their entire hand. I'd even consider cutting off another part so they couldn't pass on their genes. I hate vandalism and graffiti. For a long time NYC had the dubious distrinction of being a world leader in that area. While we don't have graffiti on the subways any more, the SOBs decided to scratch their names into the windows. What possessed the MTA to put plastic windows on subway cars any way? And they even scratch their names into the stainless steel panels inside the cars. I guess these people like living in sh*t and it bothers them when anyone else doesn't. And I hate the politicians who call this crap "art".

A punishment which would pass constitutional muster would be to make them repair vandalism. When they see how much harder it is to create than to destroy they might have a different attitude.

drizzle

Enlightened
270winchester said:
Hang them...Oh sorry, I;m in California, we better give them a grant to open a community youth center dedicated to advance the art of graffiti...

:laughing: :crackup:

Here in Seattle too. And if the vandalism is in the name of the envrionment or animal rights, give them a medal! :rolleyes:

attowatt

Enlightened
JackBlades said:
Cut off the index (trigger) finger and spray-paint them Krylon Green.

I'm afraid if I caught the little shyts who tag my fence I'd cut his hand off and sign his work with the bloody stump.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... I like it... "sign his work".:crackup:

I'm with you.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reminded of a book (Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson) where the justice system was so overloaded that many of the criminals were given a "warning tattoo" on the forehead that stated the nature of their issue (poor impulse control, thief, etc) and released.

TorchMan

Enlightened
So far it's about half and half for being cruel and having body parts cut off for a misdemenor. What a diverse group.

And no one has mentioned canings or floggings in the thread? How about a graffiti stockade? Drawn and quartered? Iron maidens? C'mon, I know more people here can come up with ideas! :naughty:

What I find amazing in my city is that they paint over the freeway exit signs. How do they get up there and do that without being seen? And we have extensive camera systems on the freeways, and they do show the exit signs on most, most of the time.

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I say let the punishment fit the crime. Whenever vandals are caught, their most prized posession, (Probably a bong, a PS2, or a Honda Civic with racing stickers and yet-unpainted aftermarket farings... would top any lists) and it should be defaced in the same way the victim's property was.

MongoMadness

Newly Enlightened
NO! We just need to give them flashlights and lasers to replace their spraycans! Let them display their artwork momentarily in the only truly pure medium: LIGHT!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more in agreement with Singapore's law, public lashing. Maybe not as many, just say 5 or 10 in front of city hall.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
shoot em in the shoulder - they'll live, but it will hurt like hell

I'm with Bravo25 and powernoodle.

just keep going higher and higher until they stop.

--neg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think that laws are way to soft on crimnals .frankly it makes me mad when i watch the news ands seee all the crime

chrisse242

Enlightened
Neg2LED said:
shoot em in the shoulder - they'll live, but it will hurt like hell

I'm with Bravo25 and powernoodle.

just keep going higher and higher until they stop.

--neg

Deterrence doesn't work, never did, never will, no matter how hard the punishment is. Sad, that so many still believe in this method.

Chrisse

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually deterence works quite well, as long as two conditions are met. Punishment must be swift and sure. Unfortunately in most western legal systems it is neither, so it doesn't work.

One of the most interesting features of Dubai is a part of town called the Gold Souk. It is perhaps 10 square blocks of nothing but gold merchants. These guys have literally tens of kilograms of gold in the windows. The windows aren't inch thick, nor do they have iron bars. Ordinary plate glass, no armed guards.

However, you get caught stealing, and we take off your right hand (which for a Muslim is an EXTREMELY serious problem), not in 2 years, not next year, but probably next week. They don't have a problem with repeat offenders, in fact they don't have much of a problem with first time offenders either. In Saudi Arabia, if you dropped a $100 bill in the street, it would either still be there tomorrow, or someone would have turned it in to the police by then.

Punishment which is swift and sure is a deterent, punishement which may or may not occur sometime in the next decade is not an effective deterent. The current legal process make crime a very profitable profession. Ken Lay will spend a year in prison for every $100 million he defrauded people out of? Years to enjoy fruits of ill gotten gains.

Hanging them next month (as happens in Kuwait), or beheading them in a Public Square the next month (Saudi Arabia) is a deterrent. Punishment is both swift and sure, so no opportunity to enjoy the fruits of ill gotten gains.

Last edited: