P91 with rechargeables ?

yves09876

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone !

I just ordered a SF C3 and asked myself : will the HOLA P91 work with rechargeable ?

I bought from AW protected 17500's, so I was wondering if the electronical circuit would go into protection, due to the high intensity demand of the P91.
I haven't the data-sheets of the protected 17500 and haven't any idea of the current demand of the P91.

Did some of you guys already tested it ?

If not or if it doesn't work, would some unprotected 17500 do the job ?

Best regards, Yves

AW

Newly Enlightened
Hi Yves,

The P91 draws approx. 2.5A ( more on cold start ). I don't think the protected 17500 will power up the P91. You 'll have to try double/ triple clicking to see if it'll work.

Regards,
AW

yves09876

Newly Enlightened
AW said:
Hi Yves,

The P91 draws approx. 2.5A ( more on cold start ). I don't think the protected 17500 will power up the P91. You 'll have to try double/ triple clicking to see if it'll work.

Regards,
AW

Hi AW ! Thanks for your answer, do you think that unprotected 17500 could handle the 2.5 [A] ?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following AW protected cells will not power a P91:

The 18670 probably would, but I know of no body that can hold these cells AND a P91 lamp assembly; the Wolf Eyes, Pila, and Microfire long, fat bodies all have miniturbo heads that are not designed for the standard-sized P91.

Here's what I recommend:
  1. Add a Surefire A19 once-cell extender to a Surefire-type 3x123a body.
  2. If your bezel lacks a glass lens, replace the bezel with a Surefire Z44.
  3. Install two Wolf Eyes 168B or Pila 168A cells. The shorter 150B and 150S cells will work, but runtime will be short (maybe 20 minutes).
  4. Get a Wolf Eyes or Pila charger to charge these cells. Other brands are designed for cells that are 2mm shorter and will pose a tight fit that might damage your cells.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I use Pila 150S rechargeables in my 9P with P91 LA. It does work well and seems to be fairly flat discharge rate (ie not much dimming) until it really craps out. Twenty minutes seems about right. And I do have to double click to light it up most of the time. Sometimes this isnt necessary if the bulb is hot if I am recalling correctly.

I should add that I really like this light in this configuration, huge amounts of light with rechargeables. I could add the extender but it would be larger then. I dont usually run it for long at one time so it is a great solution for me. The double click is a small price to pay in my opinion.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
GadgetTravel said:
The double click is a small price to pay in my opinion.
When you lose the ability to single-click, you also lose the ability to momentary click. That's another reason I prefer to run a P91 with a single-clickable long Pila or long Wolf Eyes.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
When you lose the ability to single-click, you also lose the ability to momentary click. That's another reason I prefer to run a P91 with a single-clickable long Pila or long Wolf Eyes.

How so?

AW

Newly Enlightened
When a LiIon battery is driven to more than 2C ( 2 X capacity ), the cell is gonna to deterioate fast. The maximun continuos discharge rate of of most LiIon cell is rated at 1.5 to 2C. With the tiny electrical path inside the protection PCB, pushing the current threshold to such an extreme is indeed very aggressive ( just compare the thickness between a 1A and 3A rated wire and you'll know what I mean ). There is always a trade off between performance and safety / life cycles of batteries.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Pilas in my 9P too with the P91 bulb.

The two 150s do require double clicks most of the time.

However, if you add an A19 extender and insert two Pila 168s you will NOT need to double click ever. This is my current setup. Works great.
(The addition of the A19 cell extender will make your 9P/C3 longer by one cell). Your runtime will be longer too. Around 25 minutes.

Topper

Flashaholic*
A double click is not a problem for me.I have a 6P with a A14 both HAIII that I use a P91 lamp powered by 1 Pila 168s and 1 150s works well for me.
Topper

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Topper, one 168s and one 150s Pila with A14? Any problems noted mixing mAh Pila's? Will the protection circuit of the 150 kick in first, shutting down light?

Bill

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Bill, I would assume so but not sure. I just use it for short runs- never tried a run test I think it would get hot fairly quick and the 150s would shut it down. Using it for a couple minutes at a time it works fine--- so far
Topper

Topper

Flashaholic*
O-Tay I ran it for 23 minutes and it shut down, by 15 min I was shifting it from hand to hand as it was hot. I remembered I have a La Crosse infrascan (thank you JSB) Room temp was 75 bezel at 123 and body was jumping around as I changed my grip running from 108 to 102. I hope that helps someone.
Powernoodle yes to your question. Many have "made" a poormans M4 like that using 2 A19's. If you have a KT2 6P 2 A19's it will work. If you use Pila 168s you can drop 2 in and use the lamps for the M3T. I run 1 of my M4's like that all the time.
Topper

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wrote: "When you lose the ability to single-click, you also lose the ability to momentary click."

GadgetTravel replied: "How so?"

You can click it ON for a moment, but you can't control the length of that moment. The lamp will probably extinguish in 1/4 second.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill said:
Topper, one 168s and one 150s Pila with A14? Any problems noted mixing mAh Pila's? Will the protection circuit of the 150 kick in first, shutting down light?
Correct, Bill: Runtime will be only as long as the lowest-capacity cell, effectively wasting the extra capacity of the 168S.

I'm currently running a 4.5x123A body (3x123A + A14) with three 150S cells and a G&P 12V lamp assembly. I'd like more runtime, so I may get a second A14 and run the light on three 168S cells. A 6x123A body makes for a very long flashlight, but 90 percent of the time I'm swinging this light with an orange traffic wand, when crossing the street in Washington, DC. A long baton means that the bright orange cone is moving in a wider arc as I swing it--a decidedly good thing.

Topper

Flashaholic*
"Effectively wasting the extra capacity of the 168S." ??? I prefer to view this
slightly different. I am "Effectively utilizing A HAIII A14 that was just lying around" that sounds so much better to me.
Topper

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I wrote: "When you lose the ability to single-click, you also lose the ability to momentary click."

GadgetTravel replied: "How so?"

You can click it ON for a moment, but you can't control the length of that moment. The lamp will probably extinguish in 1/4 second.

Thanks. I still must not be understanding though. With the way mine works, lets say I wanted it be be on for 2 seconds; I would do a double-click, holding the second one for 2 seconds and the light would stay on for that long. It I wanted a shorter or longer time I would hold the second push of the button for shorter or longer. The first click is basically a preclick and after that it stays on as long as I hold the button in.

I certainly would not want to deal with the double click if I was in law enforcement or the military. But in other use I dont understand the difference. Maybe ours are behaving differently? Or maybe Im not understanding? Im pretty new to all of this. Thanks.

yves09876

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your advice guys, so I think the best is not to drive a P91 with rechargeables for a better battery life.
Regards, Yves