Quick mod to improve tailcap swich function on Ghost (2) flashlight

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Greetings to everyone as I am new in here.

I just found a Ghost flashlight in my mailbox. I dont know if it might be Ghost 2, but I already ordered one from QCG, so I will be able to compare soon.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_ghost2.htm

When I first tested it I found out that the torque one needs to turn the tailcap increases dramatically just before the Flashlight lights up.
In the tailcap, I found a M3 screw with a nut and a washer that holds the spring. The screw seems to be a little to long so that it touches the battery in a position before the light is swiched on. Thus, more force is pressed on the tailcap than if only the spring pressed it. So friction in the thread increases.

If this is the case with your lights, too, can be tested by screwing the bezel off about 2 or 3 turns. If you have a smoother feeling when turning the tailcap now, the following mod is for you.

I bent the spring to the side, grabbed the nut with narrow pliers and pulled everything out. You will find a large washer the spring is mounted on and a plastic insulation. I removed the screw, turned the nut on and clipped off about 3mm with piers. Then I deburred the screw with a file and the edge of the tailcap with a sharp knive to decrease the wear of the o- ring. After reassembling everything, the torque needed to turn the tailcap stays the same until the flashlight is really on. The push-on mode is more precise, too.

Have fun,

Greetings from Germany,

Julian

Last edited: