Batteries for Fenix L1-P

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
After reading all the great stuff about the Fenix F1, I just ordered an F1-P from Lighthound.com. What are the best AA batteries to feed that thing to get the best runtimes? I saw a graph showing the Energizer e2 batteries versus alkaline, and it looks like the e2s are the way to go. But then I read that rechargeable NiMH batteries are the best. But what about AA lithiums? If NiMH is the best way to go, where online is the best (least expensive) source for NiHM batteries and a charger? Thanks.

-Greg

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2 Lithium L91's. I can't recall the thread but the E2's had the longest and brightest runtime.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg - I use an e2 lithium battery in mine; if you want to try NiMH, consider the Titanium brand batteries amondotech.com. You can pick the capacity you want (1800 mah, 2500, whatever) and get a cheap charger there too. Or you could try one of the other brands from Target or Wal-mart to get you rolling. I picked up a little Ray-O-Vac charger and batteries at Wal-mart for giggles, which do just fine in a Streamlight Jr Luxeon. I use the Titanium brand in my Mag 85 lights with good results. The e2 lithium vs. NiMH thing just depends on whether you want disposable or rechargable batteries. Remember the CPF rule - best bet is to buy both. :)

best regards

warpdrive

Enlightened
I'm so confused about batteries!!!.....so I hear that some flashlights you should stick to alkaline because either the voltage is wrong or they will overdrive them.

So the Fenix can handle Lithium AA's?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. :)

Edited: be sure to distinguish between Lithium batteries, like the Energizer e2 lithium, and rechargable "lithium ion" batteries like the RCR123. The latter cannot be used in many incan lights like the Surefire 6P, for example. Most lights that will feed on an Alky AA will also eat a lithium AA.

best regards

Last edited:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Energizer lithium AAs are rather expensive, about $2 each. You can get lithium AAs from Batterystation.Com for $1 each (sold in lots of 20). They are not *exactly* like the Energizer lithium AAs, and might kick out a little too much voltage for use in digital cameras and the like, so be careful when using them in multi-cell devices.

Quick and dirty battery FAQ:

http://flashlightreviews.com/qa.htm#batteries

Long and detailed battery FAQ:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

The bottom line: the Fenix will do fine on *any* AA battery. CPFer cy has even used a li-ion AA in his L1+ (I assume it's the same light engine as the L1P, in a stainless steel body) without any issues. However, the L1+ pill is not glued in the head like the L1P's is and cy is a master modder, so you might not be as cavalier about how you treat your flashlight...

If you're cheap like me, I'd go to Wal-Mart and pick up some 2500mAH Energizer AAs. If you don't already have a charger, get the Energizer 15 minute charger, which comes bundled with 4 2500mAH AA batteries.

http://www.energizer.com/products/rechargeables/sizes.aspx

There's a thread in the Batteries/Electronics forum that generally gave a "thumbs up" impression for the charger.

Here's jtice's runtime plots:

* Re-hosted on ImageShack (Free Image Hosting!) (<- link) to save jtice's bandwidth *

Note: The Fenix version 2 is run at a lower current than the version 2.5 (v2 is no longer being offered).

As you can see, the Energizer lithium AA gives the best runtime. I use a 2500mAH NiMH Energizer AA, because I never use the Fenix for more than a few minutes at a time. Because extended runtime is not an issue for me, I just recharge the battery at the end of the day, and I've enjoyed guilt-free lumens. If I ran into a situation where I needed extended runtime, AA batteries and the devices that use them are so common that I am confident that I could easily obtain additional batteries.

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much to all of you for all the help... and so quickly! I will digest the options. I look forward to my little L1-P. It looks made for flashaholics.

- Greg

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
JasonC8301 said:
E2 Lithium L91's. I can't recall the thread but the E2's had the longest and brightest runtime.

The E2 lithiums will give you brightest and flatest brightness output curve but not the longest runtime.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using the 2500mAh Energizer's in mine. Runtime test results were between the two L1-Ps shown in the graph above-2hr 55 min immediately followed by a sudden and drastic drop in brightness.
Charger is $9.86 at WalMart, IIRC, and a package of 4 2500mAh AAs are the same price, so for <$20 + tax, you're in business.
btw, I don't like the charger. It takes 12+hrs. to charge a pair of depleted AAs. I have 8 of them, so charge time isn't a big deal, though. Between my digital camera, MP3 player, and now the L1-P, these were a great investment, IMO.

pec50

Enlightened
No one has mentioned this issue, but the features documentation, provided with the Fenix L1-P, includes a warning:

"The input voltage of Fenix L1 is 0.9v - 1.5v. Please do not use other types of batteries (especially 3.6v lithium battery) except AA alkaline battery or NiMH battery. Otherwise the flashlight will be damaged."

mccavazos

Enlightened
Hookd_On_Photons said:
If you're cheap like me, I'd go to Wal-Mart and pick up some 2500mAH Energizer AAs. If you don't already have a charger, get the Energizer 15 minute charger, which comes bundled with 4 2500mAH AA batteries.

I believe that the 15 minute charger comes with 1850mAh batteries.

They have a pretty basic charger (not 15 minutes) for less than $10 stand alone, I bought mine bundled with 4 2500mAh batteries for $17.

tmf2

Newly Enlightened
>Energizer 15 minute charger, which comes bundled with 4 2500mAH AA batteries

Bought one yesterday, 25 bucks. Worth it with the 4 2500mAH AA cells
bundled with it.

Dennis

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson said:
The E2 lithiums will give you brightest and flatest brightness output curve but not the longest runtime.
Where do you get that? The above graph clearly shows the e2 lithium had the longest run time, at least for the L1P v. 2.

mccavazos

Enlightened
tmf2 said:
>Energizer 15 minute charger, which comes bundled with 4 2500mAH AA batteries

Bought one yesterday, 25 bucks. Worth it with the 4 2500mAH AA cells
bundled with it.

Dennis

The walmart that I was looking at must have old ones.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the advantage of rechargables is self evident, I don't believe anyone mentioned the other two advantages of the e2 Lithiums (besides runtime and regulation). Firstly, they perform much better in the cold (with winter coming this could be an issue, but if you have the light in a front pocket like me, it usually isn't). Second and more important IMHO, the lithiums are much lighter than alks, so the light is substancially less noticable my pocket when using them.

Obviously, rechargables are cheaper in the long run, but you can find the e2s for about $1.60 in bulk at BJ's or Sam's club (if you don't want to shop online).

2dim

Enlightened
Usually I prefer NiMH, but with only one battery needed in the Fenix, lithiums seem most practical and dependable for intermittent EDC...especially here in the Great White North.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
pec50 said:
No one has mentioned this issue, but the features documentation, provided with the Fenix L1-P, includes a warning:

"The input voltage of Fenix L1 is 0.9v - 1.5v. Please do not use other types of batteries (especially 3.6v lithium battery) except AA alkaline battery or NiMH battery. Otherwise the flashlight will be damaged."

I was actually thinking about that was well. I was reluctant to put a Lithium battery in my L1P because of the card that is included with it, but I just went out an bought some e2 Lithium L91 and they work just fine. The power seems to be a little higher, but not extremely noticable. I hope the run time increases as well. The main reason I bought them however is the difference in weight. 1 AA Lithium is ALOT lighter than an Alkaline and the difference is very obvious. Since I am a lightweight Hiker, this is important to me.

chanamasala

Enlightened
Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use energizer 2500's... I run down the last used cell as a night light :)
Actually it's too bright as a night light so I put it under my night stand :D