Streamlight Jr. Luxeon Switch Broken

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have a streamlight jr. luxeon with a broken switch. If I loosen the switch a little it will work. However if I tighten all the way (the way it suppose to be) it doesn't.

Any recommendation? Where can I get a new one? What is the warranty on this light? Thanks.

grayman4hire

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I just emailed them and ask how to go about getting a replacement switch.

How type of verification will they need?

2dim

Enlightened
I got OK to return entire light for immediate replacement to where I bought it here in Toronto, Canada...after objecting to their request for shipping to them across border in USA..

L.E.D.

Enlightened
okay, well it's quite obvious to me now that the JR tailcap switch, quite frankly, sucks. mine broke, as well as another one i bought for my friend. the switch on mine in fact only works as "momentary only" now. looking into the switch and fiddling with it a bit (destroying my warranty as well) i found the source of the problem. the switch operates with an 8 position gear system using plastic components, four on and four off positions, not too different from that found on a cheap clickie pen.... i noticed on the main circular gear that a couple of the teeth were broken off, so i just ripped out the whole gear system hence the reason i have a momentary only switch. but when it's pressed down, i definitely do not get any annoying flickering anymore, so my light is sure to fire when i press it down. prior to this, having it pressed down even all the way would result in flickering, sometimes nothing. now if only someone could reccomend a much more reliable jr-compatible tailcap switch...

lamperich

Enlightened
that´s pretty normal for cheap things bad of plastic.

Clickies failed sooner or later especially if they always needs a "click" to turn it on .
Unfortunatley Torchs with LED´s are used very very often.

there is only one construtction that does satisfied my on cheap flashlights.
Take a look on that Tailcap concept. http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/VB-16 3W.htm

It´s twist but only 2 things that can bother...

Bad connection between spring and metallslice and
if this two components aren´t isolated form tailcap body light can turn on without wanting it WHEN HA or someting like that is gone.
If it´s designed like that it works like the tailcap on the well known C/D size maglite´s or the Xnova X8 2AA <- my most used torch for momentan on closeup works. CRI sucks-- but finally that´s all; no mechanic, no flickering, easy to clean, worry free :-D

Last edited:

2dim

Enlightened
L.E.D, perhaps you could phone Streamlight. They'll let you speak directly with the head of engineering. If you mention this forum and the personal research you've just shared with us, they may be 'inspired' to fix the switch once and for all. I've found some companies to be quite grateful for such helpful customer feedback. Might just receive a nice surprise in your mailbox...

lamperich

Enlightened
2dim said:
They'll let you speak directly with the head of engineering. If you mention this forum and the personal research you've just shared with us, they may be 'inspired' to fix the switch once and for all.

another solution might be that streamligh switch to a "Kroll switch" or wait, isn´t it already a Kroll clicky?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
lamperich said:
another solution might be that streamligh switch to a "Kroll switch" or wait, isn´t it already a Kroll clicky?

:hahaha: Ha Ha, funny...

Personally, I'd prefer a Chinese reverse clickie to a Kroll because at lease the reverse clickies DO light up when you release the button.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
2dim said:
I got OK to return entire light for immediate replacement to where I bought it here in Toronto, Canada...after objecting to their request for shipping to them across border in USA..
Where? It is hard to find brand name lights in Canada.

2dim

Enlightened
Streamlight's phone number is on their website...they'll tell you where to buy locally. Mine was from a police/security supply store.

lamperich

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
:hahaha: Ha Ha, funny...

Personally, I'd prefer a Chinese reverse clickie to a Kroll because at lease the reverse clickies DO light up when you release the button.

*hehe*

i thought 5 dollar clicky rules :-D