Anyone have the LT-3 solitaire LED module?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
This came up in another thread, i had never seen it before, and despite the intelligent post stating the true fact that there are too many great 1xAAA light's available for the same or a little more than the cost of this module.

http://www.led-replacement.com/solitaire.html

None the less i love little light's and have a ton of soli's i have procured over the yr's, I would like to try this, even though a couple of soli mod's kill a new arc, it uses the 3.7 rechargeable, and a I want to do a few soli's w/L92's for emergency use in the glove box, guitar cases etc.
So, it this thing pathetic, or up to at least CMG sonic brightness? VDG

Don_Redondo

Newly Enlightened
I've got one and it is definitely better than the stock bulb. A couple things to note is that it does not come with a replacement reflector and the base is about an 1/16th to an 1/8 of an inch thick so the head of the Solitaire will not screw all the way down on the body after the replacement. Another thing that I noticed was that the LED did not enter the stock reflector very far and I could not get it to focus well. So…. to fix both problems, I carefully ground down the base of the reflector. (Note: I did this while with the reflector in the head because I did not think I could pop it out without doing some damage. Even some slight fiddling broke a couple of the little legs on the back of the reflector – maybe someone here knows how to pop the reflector out without damage.)

I recently posted a beamshot and some additional comments here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96235

I would say that it is comparable in brightness to a 35K mcd keylight but slightly better beam quality and can be focused or put in candle mode, which makes it a little more useful. Another comment is that I saw a warning somewhere on the web that the 1.7 volt lithiums could burn out the LED and void the warranty. I tried one briefly and it was a nice improvement - but I swapped it back for an alkaline to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how hard you can push this upgrade and because of the price I didn't really want to find out.

I've had a Solitaire with my keys for a long time – let's just say that my once black light is now uniformly polished aluminum – and I'm happy with the upgrade for what it is – but I don't have any other AAA LED lights to compare it with. It's definitely not in the same league as my new Fenix, but the Fenix is larger than I want on my keychain so the updated Solitaire still has some useful life left.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don_Redondo said:
I've got one and it is definitely better than the stock bulb. A couple things to note is that it does not come with a replacement reflector and the base is about an 1/16th to an 1/8 of an inch thick so the head of the Solitaire will not screw all the way down on the body after the replacement. Another thing that I noticed was that the LED did not enter the stock reflector very far and I could not get it to focus well. So…. to fix both problems, I carefully ground down the base of the reflector. (Note: I did this while with the reflector in the head because I did not think I could pop it out without doing some damage. Even some slight fiddling broke a couple of the little legs on the back of the reflector – maybe someone here knows how to pop the reflector out without damage.)

I recently posted a beamshot and some additional comments here.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96235

I would say that it is comparable in brightness to a 35K mcd keylight but slightly better beam quality and can be focused or put in candle mode, which makes it a little more useful. Another comment is that I saw a warning somewhere on the web that the 1.7 volt lithiums could burn out the LED and void the warranty. I tried one briefly and it was a nice improvement - but I swapped it back for an alkaline to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how hard you can push this upgrade and because of the price I didn't really want to find out.

I've had a Solitaire with my keys for a long time – let's just say that my once black light is now uniformly polished aluminum – and I'm happy with the upgrade for what it is – but I don't have any other AAA LED lights to compare it with. It's definitely not in the same league as my new Fenix, but the Fenix is larger than I want on my keychain so the updated Solitaire still has some useful life left.

Well i typed up a long post on my modded soli's and my thought's on this module but the E-mail response bug we hae been running into ate it.

short version: i modded a lot of soli reflectors and in my experience they are really pretty good with a 5mm LED, I built one around a terralux tele-10 microstar, but the smd LED on it won't sit high enough to take advantage of the parabolic curve of the 'flector, so i think this may be worth playing with
since I have few different reflector styles i made, extending them and were to seat the led for best throw and spill.
(and yep, they always break the leg's off, you can usually press fit it back or a touch of super glue is fine, Just do NOT scratch the inside of it, and ditch the lens, that makes a big diff)
I don't know why I bother with soli's but i will look at this thread and beamshot you linked. thanks. VDG

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what high quality 1 x AAA flashlight would you recommend?
Looking for something as small as possible, more concerned with brightness than endurance.

Thank you =)