3.3 v rechargeable on Inova xo3?

ledled

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought some china 3.0 V rechargeables and used them on my Inova xo3. Turned on continuously for 20mins. It's a bit brighter than Duracell 123.
Later on I measured the battery it's actually putting out 3.2-3.3v.
Will this damage the light or the regulation circuit?

Interestingly I tried these cells on my Arc LS (2nds) it's slightly dimmer than regular 123.

How does the regulation circuit work when the input voltage is higher as oppose to lower ?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think many of have seen your post... but what do you want us to say? I mean, we don't know the brand of cells or if they are protected or not though that won't likely make much difference). Generally speaking, 'most' normal rechargeables 3.7-4.2 are considered safe for 'most' single cell lights, but are not safe for 'most' 2 cell lights. Even though the 3.3V rechargeables have lower voltage, they are still higher than spec.

If you must know, try this (though some will disagree with the morality and I am not condoning it myself)... go through about 20 charges and burnins with your current X03. Then go to Target and buy another X03. If your old X03 is still as bright when using primary 123s as the new X03 is using primary 123s, then I would call that pretty safe. If your light is significantly dimmer, then it just might be hurting the LED or circuitry.

I just don't think anyone on here wants to put their rubber stamp on something they haven't use or haven't used at length.

ledled

Newly Enlightened
Well, I figured not worth the risk as the xo3 is very expensive. I do noticed using 3.3v is slightly brighter then 3.0 which might mean its pushing more than 3W. Maybe I find a true 3.0V rechargeable for more $$ then using those $2 cell.