HD45's new 45mm reflector in a M*g mod ???

wquiles

Flashaholic
No, I am not done, but I am way too excited about this accidental "discovery" - the HD45's awesome 45mm reflector fits almost perfectly inside a D M*g head. I bought one with the hope that if it did not fit at least some sort of adapter could be made. Little did I realized that it was a drop-in:

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

In this last picture you can see the light circle of contact with the inside, treaded part of the D head. Tip of pen points to the contact area:
IMG_1858.JPG

On the bottom of the same contact ring, this inner rings does touch the top of the body when the head is screwed (you can almost see the grey contact area in this photo right underneat the pen's tip), so this determines the max as the reflector then starts putting presure on the lens. There is some small play, so without this contact with the body the reflector can actually more up and down some which of course can't be allowed - this play would have to be fixed for best focus. Perhaps some spacer, o-rings, shims, etc. - I am sure it can be fixed.

Now, as you can see above the reflector is "way" too long for a standard O-sink. This would be the real trick as the shoulder of the O-sink would have to go away and the whole O-sink would have to be seated far deeper in order to clear the bottom of the reflector. Instead of cutting the switch flush as normal for these types of mods, the top of the switch (after carefull measurements) could be cut to the "right" height so that the O-sink can actually rest on top of it - this would then determine the propper LED position ;)

As I said, not done, but after some quick measurements and dry fitting I am 100% convinced that it can be done. Imagine that: your own poor-mans HD45 with "your" choise of converter, "your" LED of choise (3W or 5W), and whatever battery arrangement you can think off. The posibilities are endless once we can figure out how to use this awesome reflector in the M*g !!!

Will

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, how's the heat tolerance? I've never wanted to put a led into a D mag, but an HD45 as a Mag85 reflector, hmmm....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Will,
Cool, sort of!?!?! :thinking: (I didn't buy that many 45 mm reflectors; uh oh!) I noticed this a while ago but am not up on the mag platform so I just kept fingers idle. :eek: I also looked at droping in a 38mm along with a ring of 5 mm LED's but no time and no time and I think I have too many projects already! :hairpull:

Paul R,
The 45 mm reflector would waste photons, big time, with an Incan due to focal alignment.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Don,

As always, I am "very" impressed with your designs - this 45mm reflector is a work or art :bow:. Ever since it came out in the HD45 and all of the reviews came out about the reflector and beam characteristics I have been wanting to build my own variant, so I might have a chance this time :grin2:

With a 2-year old girl and a 2-month old boy, I also have too many ideas/projects and too little time, so I "think" I understand what you mean ;)

Will

NITEFISH

Newly Enlightened
Ooooh... I can see a 1D 5W mod in my future.:D Just what I need another project. :)