How often to replace surefire bulbs?

nc987

Enlightened
a fresh pair of batteries should last an hour under normal operating conditions. I use my flashlights sporadically (all Surefires) and i replace batteries in each one maybe once every 2 months.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire rates its light assemblies for 25 hours runtime. But just replace it when you notice tint/output change!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 10 of us at work SF E2e's. Five were purchased almost three years ago, five more about two and a half years ago.

During that time we've replaced two lamps, both times the same user, both times because he dropped the light.

Personally I've replaced two Surfire lamps over a 15 year period. One was a 6P (p60) that was 2 years old, that I had just sold. Within days it's new owner said it went out so I don't know what he did (or didn't do).

The second was a from an brand new M6 that litteraly blew up inside the head after less than 10 minutes runtime. Surefire replaced the head and sent three replacement lamps for free.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Double_A said:
. . .from an brand new M6 that literally blew up inside the head after less than 10 minutes runtime. Surefire replaced the head and sent three replacement lamps for free.

Hopefully the assemblers over at the SureFire plant didn't touch the LA with bare hands leaving an oily residue on the glass now did they?—Probably not! Just a thought. . .

NextLight

Enlightened
Grox said:
Surefire rates its light assemblies for 25 hours runtime.

This is my understanding too...but the question is really not that simple. Environmental and useage patterns such as cell temperature, shock & vibration, tactial flashing vs. steady burn, and how often batteries are replaced, all have a huge impact on bulb life.

In the room lighting incandescent lamp business, the "average" rated life is often the time at which 50% of the lamps have failed. Would we be happy if SF told us P60 lamp life was 25 hours, and half of the the bulbs failed before that? I don't think so. I would expect SF to use at least a 90% confidence level, taking into account the way that their lights are typically used in emergency services.

I regularly have peace officers and EMTs say they only replace (P60) bulbs every 2 years, unless they drop their lights while the lights are on. And, they say they replace batteries (on the city's budget) AT LEAST once a week.

I had the same lamp in my 6P original for 7 years. OTOH, I have had three M series lamp assemblies die in less than an hour (running on SF specified batteries) this year. This does not include Hotwire mistakes and failures, which is a differrent subject.

If one is a pest control (termite) inspector and carries a spare lamp in the truck, I bet you can get 50 hours out of your P60, easy. I tell cops to replace their P60s every 6 months or 25 sets of batteries which ever comes first. The lamp cost works out to be about a dollar a week.

I have a good stereo microscope, and each lamp tells a story. I should show a local Sgt (who is a Surefire certified instructor) what his 2 year old P60 filament looks like...

Last edited: