Do bodily fluids show up with UV LED's?

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Wondering if bodily fluids will show up with the UV LED's?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certain bodily secretions do. Some need very specific UV bandwidth illumination in order to make them visable. If you goggle "UV body fluids" you will get an overwhelming hit on CSI type info.
Hope this helps.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pet urine shows up with easily with any light source that radiates from 360 to 410 nanometers.
In other words, yes.

You can tell if Fido has done the deed on the furniture with a UV flashlight.

Be warned, you may not like what you find.

Sometimes, it's just better to not know.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumenHound said:
Pet urine shows up with easily with any light source that radiates from 360 to 410 nanometers.
In other words, yes.

You can tell if Fido has done the deed on the furniture with a UV flashlight.

Be warned, you may not like what you find.

Sometimes, it's just better to not know.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I used 395nm and could easily see the puppie's puddles, and also um-marks around the toilet. At first it was fun, but then I didn't want to lay down without checking with the UV. I'm going to put a cree uv xlamp in a fenix and pull it out to embarrass friends:devil:

Babo

Newly Enlightened
My nephew works for a well known circus....(The largest one still under the big top). Anyway. They have six elephants. When he first started, he would tell us of the problem he was having constantly stepping in elephant pee.
He said it was like wading through a kiddy pool; and it ate through your shoes
because of the high acidity.

I sent him a RayoVac 2C cell personal illumination device-($3.99 at Dollar General. Fair throw/good spill)). Now, when he steps in the puddle, he holds the light under his chin and turns it on. The he says to the person nearest him; " I'm standing ankle deep in elephant pee again. Will you hand me a towel?"

The circus doctor does say the meds are beginning to help a little; so that's good news.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
As has already been hashed out, urine shows up quite visibly. we've been here 2 years and had the carpets cleaned more than once in some places and I can still find spots in the corners of what is now my office from the previous owners cats. Luckily there is no smell or other evidence... When the kids are old enough not to destroy new carpet I'll be replacing that ;) course, by then our own cats will be old enough that it may not make a difference...

As far as any other bodily fluids... While I've never checked I suppose it would be easy enough to run a test. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes :laughing: For those of you lucky enough to have someone there to help you with this test, I encourage you to approach them in the interest of science and ask for their willing participation. Shall we start a poll? Mine does or doesn't glow? :D

wmpwi

Enlightened
Dukester said:
How about dog ****?

When I got my first UV build I went down to the rec room and checked out the carpet. The stains were so bad under UV I didn't dare show my wife. If the dog wasn't already gone, she'd have killed it right then and there. You can also clearly see the soap spots where we tried to clean it up.

MrMom

Enlightened
I travel with a UV X-5. Yes, I have changed rooms because of it. The sheets are always clean but the walls and cloth covered chairs are another story. :awman:

...And then there are the Vegas rooms...Hmmm...Vegas storys are best to stay in Vegas...

BTW-Does everyone have their room booked for the SHOT show??? :naughty:

wmpwi

Enlightened
ROVER said:
I used 395nm and could easily see the puppie's puddles, and also um-marks around the toilet. At first it was fun, but then I didn't want to lay down without checking with the UV. I'm going to put a cree uv xlamp in a fenix and pull it out to embarrass friends:devil:

When you get this project built, I'd really like to see how it comes out.

pathalogical

Enlightened
ROVER said:

Were the marks around the toilet high-velocity spatter marks ? Possibly indicating that the person had to go really bad ! Also, with these uv lights, don't you have to get up close to the suspect area, that is, shine the light a couple of inches away from a surface ? Or do they have a few feet of throw to make things "glow" up from a distance ?

gandbag

Newly Enlightened
With 360nm LEDs from a group buy:

positive:
urine
earwax

negative:
saliva (although you may see individual cheek cells glowing under a microscope)

That's all I tested so far... eyes microscope under desk.....

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking into getting a uv setup for some time but still have not managed...don't know what to get. What goggles do you need and do you need them, and which light to go with? I did ask the light question some time ago but more lights have been built since then. I'm currently looking at streamlight's UV light, but c cell isn't my style, and then the Aleph 19 Head with Wiz2-500-CreeUV head which would be used on a surefire 6p body (if it would work), or maybe the surefire m1 with uv head if I could find one for the m1. Not worried about the price but on the same hand don't want to waste my money either.