Anyone Using Flashlights for Mountain Biking Light?

Ned-L

Enlightened
Updated: I was hoping that an updated title might get someone who uses flashlights as mountain biking lights to provide some advice. I am still looking for advice whether using a couple of affordable Luxeon 5W flashlights with rechargeable batteries is a viable option for mountian biking lights. Thanks.

Hi,

I am new to CPF and have been enjoying reading a tremendous amount of detailed information about a huge quantity and variety of lights. I am in the market for a new mountain bike light. I noticed that Luxeon 5W technology is beginning to be used (for example DiNotte Ultralight Light Set), but there are not many choices. I was wondering if there were any Luxeon 5w LED flashlights that with a bike mount might double as a mountain bike light. I need something that is roughly the equivalent of a 15w halogen light with a runtime of about 2 hours. Because of fairly frequent use, I would also need to use rechargeable batteries. When the price gets around $250 there are lots of excellent bike specific halogen light systems, so I probably wouldn't want to spend much more than $250. Anyone's suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking at the DiNotte bike light which uses a Luxeon 5W LED and claims to produce 120 lumens and run for 1 hr and 40 minutes on 4 AA NiMH 2300 MAH batteries. Does anyone know what wattage this would be the equivalent of in a halogen light or whether it is enough light for mountain biking at night?

Thanks

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: Help re Flashlight Doubling as Mtn Bike Light

Welcome to CPF NED-L!

Can't really answer your question right now, but there are those here that can answer that since they themselves share the same sport of mountain biking.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Here's a quick question(s) though—Have you looked into the Light & Motion and or NiteRider products? In particular the HID w/LED models? Just curious. . .

Ned-L

Enlightened

I have a couple of older NiteRider 10W & 15W lights. The batteries are pretty well shot on both of them and replacement batteries get so close to the price of a new light that I decided to look at new lights. I am familiar with the lights you mentioned, but not "HID w/LED." The HIDs are too expensive in general. I am considering Jet Lites Phantom Single Beam 20W halogen (with smart switch and fuel guage MSRP $295).

CLHC

Flashaholic

You know exactly what you're looking for and that's great!

"Good ride. . ."

greenLED

Flashaholic

Ned-L, welcome to CPF!
Check out http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Lights/ (if you haven't yet, o'course) for cool reviews on more bike lights than you'd ever imagine existed. Those HID/LED combos seem worthwhile if you're deep into biking.

Ned-L said:
I was wondering if there were any Luxeon 5w LED flashlights that with a bike mount might double as a mountain bike light.
As far as "standard-shape" 5W LED lights go , there's a wide variety from which to choose from. I know CY uses a U2. I currently secure a Pila GL3R to my handlebar using a twofish lockblock and it's a nice setup. I mention the U2 and the GL3R because you can use them with Pila rechargeable li-ion batts.

For more on "regular" 5W LED lights, go to ledmuseum.org and/or flashlightreviews.com

Edit to add:
Here's a GB thread we just did to purchase some twofish lockblocks, and here's another one with me trying to figure out how to attach a small-sized light to my helmet.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic

"Those HID/LED combos are SICK!"

I don't understand that "sick" part? To me these are awesomely built and BRIGHT! Don't know 'bout that part being said though. . .

greenLED

Flashaholic

CHC said:
"Those HID/LED combos are SICK!"

I don't understand that "sick" part? To me these are awesomely built and BRIGHT! Don't know 'bout that part being said though. . .

Exactly what I meant. Sick as in slang for wicked, groovy, cool, awesome, super, the most amazing combos ever to light the trails... you know... sick. :huh2:

Just translated my original statement to English. :nana:

Last edited:

Ned-L

Enlightened

Thanks for your input. What do you think about using the twofish lockblocks (Nashbar has a set of 3 for $9.95) to secure two Nuwai ALX-352Ls to my bike handlebars? If I have both lights on at 50% I think I should be able to get in a 2 hour ride. Do you think that is enough light to for trail riding? Will rechargeable batteries give me close to the same 2 hour runtime at 50% power as disposables? Any recommendations on which rechargeables to use? Thanks. Ned

CLHC

Flashaholic

GREENLED—Now I understand. . .

"And when you said I'm down with that. . .Well it meant you had the flu. . .I miss back when. . ." —TM

greenLED

Flashaholic

the feedback I've gotten from the people who bought the lockblocks has all been positive. I'm loving mine: compact, simple to use, good grip on both handlebar and light. The straps fit up to a C-sized light, and need to be longer if you want to use them on your helmet (depends on your helmet).

Shipping's kinda high on NashBar, if you're willing to organize a GB for those, I may order another set. Thx.

Ned-L

Enlightened
New Mountain Biking Flashlight Idea!

New Mountain Biking Flashlight Idea: what do you think of using two Quicksilver 5W Luxeon lights with 18650 rechargeable batteries? The flashlightreview (under BriteStuff Vari-brite 52L) shows it to be a very bright light and with 32 output settings and with the 18650 it should be possible to get about 2 hours of burn time (see Emilion's test under his group buy post). And the price is great at $55 each if Emilion's groupbuy reaches the minimum.

vic303

Enlightened
Ned! If you want to get new batteries for your NiteRiders, just go to a place like Batteries Plus! You can get a SLA replacement for cheap, or if you want NiMh/NiCad, they can build you one for MUCH LESS than NiteRider will sell you one. Just be sure to take your charger & old dead batteries in, for comparison purposes and to get the right terminals on. I've done this a couple times, and it works just fine.

Ohterwise, I might be interested in buying your 'dead' setup off of you, How much would you want for it all?

--Vic

Ned-L

Enlightened
Vic, Thanks for the info. I'll have to price replacement batteries at our local equivalent to Batteries Plus (don't think we have any of them). Still, do you have an opinion about my idea of using one or two QuickSilver 5W flashlights with rechargeable batteries. If the 18650 really runs for 110 minutes on high, then at slightly less than high I might be able to get over 2 hours burn time. I understand that at least some people say that a 5W Luxeon can be the equivalent of a 12 to 15 Watt halogen light? Plus, I have a pretty nice flashlight for off bike use.

vic303

Enlightened
Personally I don't advocate the use of flashlights for biking except in emergencies. Dedicated bikelights generally perform better, longer and are designed for mounting/running on a bike from the ground up. Flashlights are built for use in the hand, and hiking headlamps generally don't mount well over a bike helmet. A bike helmet lamp will mount more securely and usually weigh less on your head, as the batt is either worn inside a pack/jersey pocket, or frame mounted (Night Sun comes to mind).

You shouldn't have a problem getting an aftermarket batt for your NiteRiders. I'd estimate cost at 1/2 to 1/3 of NiteRider's charge to you, depending on what type of batt you pick. SLA will generally be cheapest, and heaviest.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Vic,

Do you know or have an educated guess what mAH rating I should be using to replace my NiteRider NiMh battery pack? It is a 5 D cell configuration. I use it to power a 10W or 15W halogen light. I didn't see any mAH rating on the old pack. The maximum that the battery store by me carries is 3000mAH. However, I see that BatteryStation carries D size NiMh up to 9000mAH.

Thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
vic303 said:
Personally I don't advocate the use of flashlights for biking except in emergencies. Dedicated bikelights generally perform better, longer and are designed for mounting/running on a bike from the ground up. Flashlights are built for use in the hand, and hiking headlamps generally don't mount well over a bike helmet.

I have to partially disagree.

It depends on what types of lights you're comparing, and the type of use you're exposing them to. I refuse to use those "dedicated" 3 LED bike lights that are so popular among commuters, when I have a small and powerful flashlight that does a much better job at illuminating my way and making myself seen (both in city and on the trails). But that's not an entirely fair comparison, of course. (Comparing 3x5mm LED's vs a 9V lithium-powered light... :laughing:) My main flashlight uses rechargeables, so that's not an issue.

If you're talking about a dedicated halogen or HID bike light designed for off-trail use, then, yes, those might be superior to securing your higher-end flashlight to the handlebar. But that's the other extreme of the comparison, which is unfair also.

Somewhere in the middle, I've decided that my already expensive and well designed flashlight, coupled with a very effective attachment mechanism is:
1. much better than a cheapy dedicated LED light
2. is as effective as a dedicated bike lighting system that costs at least $250 in illuminating the (easier) trails I ride
3. not enough amount of light for serious mountain biking, adventure riding, etc. (which I don't do anyway) :nana:

As a final comment, I just realized that using a helmet+handlebar light combo is the way to go. This system works great.

Ned-L

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughts. I ordered a QuickSilver 5W from Emilion's Workbench (and some 18650 rechargeable batteries) that I will use for mounting on the handlebars. I still have to decide what to order to secure it to the handlebar, probably the TwoFish Lockblock from Nashbar. I took Vic's advice and brought one of my dead Niterider halogen bike light batteries into a local battery shop to have them put together a new NiMH battery setup with 5 D cells. I have a nylon pouch for that setup that can fit in a camelbak hydration pack or even a jersey pocket. I will use that setup with a helmet mount light. They said that they have tried unsuccessfully to make up water bottle batteries for the local bike cops.

vic303

Enlightened
Ned, I'd go with the biggest mAh you can get in a manageable package. Just make sure your charger can charge it properly.

GreenLED, I was not referring to little LED bikelights. Those are for 'being seen' not for seeing. I'm thinking of your typical 6w/10w/15w halogen bikelight. Those alone, will outperform (for biking purposes) your typical midrange flashlight for biking. By outperform, I mean lighting the trail/road where you need it lit. A flashlight that throws 100yds isn't going to do a biker any good. It throws too far to be useable. BTW, those little led's, when used for being seen work just fine and are an inexpensive way to improve your survival on the roads.