Do I need a Lion Cub???

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been EDC'ing a new HDS U60XRGT and find it to be a very versatile light. lighthound is selling the Lion Cub and I would love to hear comments from owners of both lights. The question is: Do I need this light?? What does it offer over the U60?

Thanks...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The LionCub will have a much simpler user-interface than the HDS and will likely be brighter at maximum output, but HDS strikes me as better-engineered (does not direct-drive LED, more features, overall longer-lasting)

kukula

Enlightened
I have been eyeing the LionCub myself for some time now; and trying to convince myself that I dont need it, esp since I do have a PD. The HDS EDC that you now carry is actually quite similar in form factor and use to the LionCub. So in the end I think your question shouldnt be "Do I need it" but instead be "Do I want it". Its your call really. But the LionCub in brass really looks awesome :naughty:

Chris

Geologist

Enlightened
I have a number of the LionCubs (actually one for sale in BST ;) )

Some reasons why I like it are:

1) Even an klutz like me can change out the star. I've already changed one to a U-bin.
2) The availabilty of the LionHead which will turn the Cub into a Light-Sabre-Throw-Monster
3) The availibility of various sized battery tubes. When you need extra run time, you got it.
4) Just like newer upgrades were made for the LionHeart series, similar upgrades may be made available for the LC series as well.
5) Side switch - I do not loathe cap switches, but side switches are so much more practical for everyday use.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Make sure you are aware of what the warranty covers. A company like Surefire ---> If it breaks they fix it!

Some warranties from some manufacturers are not transferable to successive owners. I'm pretty sure I read that about the Lion Cub, but you would have to check to make sure.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your questions are very specific in nature wanting to know what more would you get out of a LC light. You would get more accessories like a larger head and larger battery tubes. The emitter would be, luckily, easier to change. I can say no more.

As for needing the light...what do you do with a light?

B@rt

Flashaholic
From this thread:
Mr Bulk said:
For all original purchasers I will repair your unaltered MR Bulk light for the cost of replacement parts and return shipping to me.There is No Charge for labor

This unofficial "warranty" is hereby extended only to original purchasers of MR Bulk lights who are registered members of, and in good standing with, MR Bulk Forums.

I would seriously think about getting a used one.... :thinking:

The "unaltered" part in the warranty would make me doubt to get a new one as well, unless you're not planning to use one of it's touted features, moddability... ;)

Last edited:

Geologist

Enlightened
B@rt is right - be aware of the condition of any used light that you buy. However I would think the "unaltered" clause would apply to just about any light not just the Mr. Bulk Lights. If you were to modify a SF light and then screw it up, I wouldn't expect SF to fix it for free either. Custom lights are just that CUSTOM lights and if you begin to make modifications, then you do so at your own risk. If you take apart your HDS to modify it (has anyone even tried this), then I am also sure any warranties would be voided.

Geologist

Enlightened
BTW - it might be actually good to list the warranty policies of all light makers regardless of the quanity they produce. Does McGizmo, Elektrolumens, ORB, Peak, ARC, HDS also have an official warranty policy? How does the warranty cover lights that have been modified? Are there any light makers whose warranty cover modified lights? I don't want to get too much OT, but I think thay would be a great idea!

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
liteboy,

Get a LionCub!!! You will not be disappointed. They are really nice, bright little lights. :rock:

ChocolateLab33:)

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have a PD nor an HDS but I do have a lioncub so here is my opinion. the Lioncub feels good with the 123 battery, has a decent throw and the OI is outstanding, if you do get one I do suggest getting one with a opened up front the output is dramatically improved.

However I still find myself picking up the Lionheart over the Lioncub still I don't know if it's comfort but I still perfer the lionheart.

the need of a light is a direct reflection of the WANT FACTOR. enjoy

doug

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hi liteboy,

The Cubs sold by www.lighthound.com are new, so you would be the original owner and thus covered by the warranty if you bought it from them - simply contact me privately for details on how to activate it.

And yes, I too am curious to know whether other small light makers offer any kind of warranty...:thinking:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Need is really the wrong word for this kind of thing for most of us. Certainly for me. That said, I got a Lion Cub from lighthound.com and I am developing an emotional attachment to it? ;)

It really is an incredible light. The user interface can be changed so you have two choices of interface. I found I like UI1 which has 5 preset levels and you can set it to automatically come on at the last level you used. When on at that level it can be sent to full power with a single push and hold of the button. For me that is a perfect use since the second or third lowest level is great for most use and that is what I have it come on as. Of course you can also preset it to come on at the highest level if that is what you want.

The other user interface lets you scroll through 64 different brightness levels. I find I dont use it as much but you can change to it whenever you want. The flexibility of the user interfaces is a great feature.

I also really like the way it looks and the ergonomics of it. I cant compare the brightness to the HDS, I have asked about that several times and not really gotten an answer. I dont have an HDS but have compared the Lion Cub to and E1L, E2 body with KL4 head and an A2. The KL4 seems to put out more light, but with less throw than the Lion Cub. The E1L is less light (lots less) and less throw. The A2 incandescent has more throw. A seems close in terms of total light. This is all eyeball based.

The Lion Cub is now in my pocket and the Surefires have been place in my backpack. When I reach for something to carry it is now ALWAYS the Lion Cub.

As far as the warranty, I would be very surprised to find any company that warranties something that was user modified. I had a salesman very seriously tell me once after I jokingly said I was going to paint thunderbolts on the side of a large scientific instrument that it would void the warranty on the instrument (which cost a quarter of a million bucks) or that it the warrantly had expired that they wouldnt honor the service contract (which they charged 25 grand per year for). If you take something apart you almost always really do own it.

In any case, I am enormously pleased with my Lion Cub, even my wife went from "what the hell kind of flashlight costs $175" to "wow, that really is cute". ;)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
liteboy,
the question wether or not you want or need ( :D ) a specific light will mostly depend on three things:

1) quality and support
2) features / philosophy
3) price

While 3) is obvious and 1) can be a little hard to find out, it is 2) that is the most important part. In 2) you have items like switching style, additional features, complex interface vs. KISS, attachment options, drive current, Direct Drive vs. Regulation, ...

If I were you I'd decide on 2) first and choose between lights that fit this category in a second step in order to avoid loosing yourself in too many choices.
If the LC fits your needs you can then proceed to check 1) as you know already 3)

bernie

EDIT: the best purchase is an informed one. As long as you exactly know what you'll get your chances of dissatisfaction are slim. Being informed can be a long and winding road though ...

LouRoy

Enlightened
I own both a Lioncub and a Basic 42 HDS. Both are great lights. The Lioncub is a bit brighter, but both put out more than enough light for most uses.

I must say, I reach for the brass Lioncub more than the HDS--it just feels better in the hand.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[OT] Geologist,

I can only speak for myself and do hope to satisfy Charlie's curiousity as well. The foundation of the mods and later some of the limited production runs was based on ideas and builds at "the bleeding edge". Many of us have suffered wounds to body and pocket book. :)

The legal industry is healthy and strong without my participation or contributions. I have not stated, written or implied or otherwise inferred any claims to IP, warranty or promised performance or customer satisfaction. Instead, at my choice and disgression, I have elected to remedy any problems or issues which have arrised over my participation here.

[size=-1]caveat emptor - Buyer Beware!!

For some of us, this is merely a hobby and we have fun with words, claims and pretend that it is serious and trade marked business on one hand and then offer little in real recourse if something goes wrong; it is just a hobby and we're having fun and if you blow up a LED, replace it with a newer one and better one. For others, we do want to have fun but do realize that hard earned money spent on our product demands respect as well as an obligation to "do right".

Beyond the cost of shipping to me, I believe most cases where a light has failed, I have picked up the cost of both materials as well as labor. I have elected to do so but make no claims or promises that I will. I will abide by my conscience and act according to my perceptions of obligations and responsibilities. I will not satisy the expectations of all nor do I want to give any false indication that I would. I have unfortunately alienated a few of our community with my attitude and response to their "expectations". In most cases though, these members werre not stuck with an expense that they felt unwarranted; it was my pocket that suffered. :shrug:

On a lighter note, any mod that is an improvement to a light should not by its very nature void the expectations of the light's performance or expectations of being void of defect in material or workmanship. Heck some mods are in fact a rectification of a "void"! :nana:

On the other hand, some mods are ill advised or do adversly effect the life expectancy of a light and certainly the cost of the mod should be borne by the person making the change and not thrust upon the originator. Many of these lights can be destroyed by the user not observing proper polarity. There is a responsibility on the owner to keep their light operational and us little guys can't afford to pick up the tab on user error or mistakes. Our own errors and mistakes are costly enough! :green: I for one can not afford products liability insurance and certainly can't afford to be held liable to the extent our culture now views liabilities; especially with the aid of the legal industry!!! If I did have the extra funds, I would consider a comprehensive policy from AAA on my rail dragster. Uh, that just isn't true and I don't have a dragster. :thinking:

You know, fun and interest are a big part of this community and that is the case on both sides; as a user or buyer and as a builder or modder. As the bar is raised on technical details in these builds, the challenge is increased. As the bar is raised on expectations and perceptions of these limited runs becoming more of a main stream business with implied obligations and standards, the fun starts to diminish significantly for some of us. It's a fine edge to walk out "there". As civilization and the rules encroach, one must move on to other frontiers if one wants the freedom and luxury of the open spaces and the wonder of exploration and discoveries.
EDIT: For any of you owning something of my design or hand, simply log on to www.nana.rolleyes.con to activate your limited warranty. Enter the serial number from the certificate of compliance which was included in the owner's manual and follow the simple steps. If you did not receive a certificate of compliance, in the vernacular of the street, you are simply SOL. [/OT]

Do you need a Lion Cub? :shrug: :D Does need really matter? :nana:
[/size]

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How 'bout another question...Do I "need" a McLux III PD since many veterans here seem to swear by this light? Any takers who happen to own both the PD and EDC??

*Retired*
B@rt said:
From this thread:

Originally Posted by Mr Bulk:

This unofficial "warranty" is hereby extended only to original purchasers of MR Bulk lights who are registered members of, and in good standing with, MR Bulk Forums.

I would seriously think about getting a used one.... :thinking:

The "unaltered" part in the warranty would make me doubt to get a new one as well, unless you're not planning to use one of it's touted features, moddability... ;)

That is just such a very odd and truely weird warranty requirement.