Which EDC for Y2K?

Babo

Newly Enlightened
My wife has never really gotten over the fact that I traded her engagement ring for a 5000kw generator back in 1999. That said, I think I can put the whole sorry matter behind me if I use up the last of my Y2K stash fairly soon.

I'm down to the last case of canned carrots, and, if I can control my gag reflex, I only have about thirty more pounds of rice to eat.

My real problem is the thousand dollars worth of batteries I bought. Patoodie,
my wife, says if she opens another drawer and finds another stash of D cells,
she's going to use them as suppositories...on me.

My question is; what's the best EDC for using up these batteries quick?
Please don't say "5 cell Maglight". Patoodie has a quick temper and I don't want to chance being bludgeoned because of a slight misjudgement six years ago.

I'd like something small that sucks batteries dry-(It's going to take time to go through 800 D cells). It should have great throw and modest spill. I'd prefer
something small that I can pocket carry. It should be powerful enought to drop an assailant in his tracks at 10-15 yards. Thanks, for your suggestions.

turbodog

Flashaholic
You want a suggestion? And this is a win-win for everyone.

Donate the cells to a charity and take a tax write-off.

Buy something nice for your wife with the $.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
You want a suggestion? And this is a win-win for everyone.

Donate the cells to a charity and take a tax write-off.

Buy something nice for your wife with the $.

That would be a very smart thing to do.

As for lights a direct driven LuxIII mag should work ok off 3 D cells, but it will proabably give you about 10 hours of 'decent' light on 3 D cells.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Whoa,

Are you being literal about buying thousands of dollars worth of batteries for Y2K? As in the end of civilazation as we know it kind of thing? 800 D cells? Do tell about the lights you have already sir, the ones that these batteries were inteded for, among other electronic items. How many bulbs did you buy for said lights?

I didn't really stash much for Y2K, believing it was going to be a week at most, of bad times. I'm glad I didn't.

Now some friends of mine bought many MREs, much canned foods and dried good, and a pantry closed full of bottled water. Sometime in 2003 he finished off the food, and boy was he glad he did! He was quite sick of it all.

My decent stash of batteries is hard enough to finish off. I think the charity suggestion is a good one, tax write off or not. Someone can use them, and it's better than them just self-discharging on their own.

I'd be buying some Luxeon Mags that take D cells, for sure. And if you don't already have any lanterns that do, some of those. Not sure how "Patoodie" would feel about this, but I'd have nights were I mostly used the lanterns/lights and radios or batt. powered tv(s) to try and save a small penny on the electric bill, while also using the batteries.

I'd also like to have you for a neighbor, since you are definitely willing to err on the side of caution when it comes to stocking up! I can hear the Miller Light: Real Men of Genius commercials salute now. We salute you, Mr. Y2K OverPreparer! Because when your neighbors are all living like cavemen, you are sitting pretty in your Fortress of Modern Living! Whose having a cold one and laughing now? :lolsign:

quokked

Enlightened
Donate them to the Local PD or send them to Iraq.
if you can still get a tax write off (don't know how your neck of the woods work)

Next time you get stopped by a traffic cop, hey aren't you the guy who gave us all those batteries?

On the less serious side, who's got some good Y2k leftover stories?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give them to Katrina or Rita Survivors. Estimates are power will NOT be completely restored to New Orleans until the summer of 2006!

Considering recent havoc caused by mother nature around the world in the past year (are we up to a half million deaths yet?) I think it would be smart to replenish your preps. It would be a sad day if your wife was wishing she hadn't been so hard on your disaster preps.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
nikon said:
Her engagement ring?!!!!!:faint:

Why, yes.

We had already sold our wedding bands and her silver to buy
other necessary items.

Would still like to hear from some experts on what I should consider as an EDC
that will burn those D cells up fast. Patoodie is still simmering about the whole
Y2K thing and if I don't use up our stockpile pretty quick, she's likely to begin
pestering me about the cost of upkeep for my coon dogs.

Remember, pocket carry sized, good throw, and capable of stopping a bad
guy in his tracks.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Well I for one would be very interested to hear of pocket sized lights that use a D cell, or more than one. In all the reading I've done here over the last few months, I can't recall any "pocket size" D cell lights!

Good luck with this!

Coon dogs? As in Black and Tan Blue Tick Hounds?

Edit: I'd still like to hear about the lights you were planning to use for the Y2K, and all those D cells.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You might wanna check out the Elektrolumens section of CPF ... Wayne is specialized in reliable lights on big cheap cells ...
bernie

P.S.: you Sir, are a brave man!

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about getting those Energizer HardCase Lantern(s) that take 4-D size cells! Then go ahead and get the Bigg Lugg that you can put on your belt to EDC these lanterns? ! ? ! Think that'll work for you?

Don't know about the "stop the bad guy in his tracks" part if you're talking about the light. But it makes an improvised impact device for CQB. That's if you're one who allows the "bad guy" to get in close proximics!

You could "upgrade" the bulb/lamp on this though!

Last edited:

Warleader

Newly Enlightened
800 D Cells . . . . . hummmmm . . . . I'll bet if you put them in series and parallel in just the right combination . . . . . you could probably run one of those great big honkin arc search lights . . . . . . and I don't mean the lights Peter makes . . . . I mean something humongous and retina searing . . . . trailer mounted . . . . . like they used in WWII during the Blitz . . . . . . something that could reach the stratosphere . . . . .

Woo, woo . . . . you got me going now!

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they're regular old alkaline D cells, and you bought them in 1999, they're probably dead or leaking by now.

As for me, I'm going to buy stock in Vaseline. I can see you'll be needing a lot of it in the near future, as Patoodie disposes of those cells in her own way.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
MrBadger said:
Turd.

That is all I will say.

Although I understand how you feel; you havta understand some
women just don't know how important a man's dogs can be.

I take it you have coon hounds too?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
At some point around All Hallows Eve, Babo's posts became rather, well, for lack of a better word, eclectic. You could even say they became, unsound. I would suggest a read of them prior to spending a lot of time searching for a D cell light that can fit in the pocket and be set for stun.

As for you Babo, the people here are as a rule quite nice and go out of their way to be helpful. I for one appreciate that having come here over the summer to find out about flashlights after deciding I should probably have one or two when travelling. I have gotten several because I enjoy them and as my wife was happy to point out, they are a lot cheaper than my last hobby, which was watches. Well, I will get back to watches but that is another story, at least this distracted me from getting too interested in a Royal Oak for the moment. But I digress.

If someone is amused by this communities willingness to help people with a problem, no matter how implausible, so be it. However, it would be a mistake to read much more than that into what is happening or to give too much credit to oneself for triggering it.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
GadgetTravel said:
At some point around All Hallows Eve, Babo's posts became rather, well, for lack of a better word, eclectic. You could even say they became, unsound. I would suggest a read of them prior to spending a lot of time searching for a D cell light that can fit in the pocket and be set for stun.

As for you Babo, the people here are as a rule quite nice and go out of their way to be helpful. I for one appreciate that having come here over the summer to find out about flashlights after deciding I should probably have one or two when travelling. I have gotten several because I enjoy them and as my wife was happy to point out, they are a lot cheaper than my last hobby, which was watches. Well, I will get back to watches but that is another story, at least this distracted me from getting too interested in a Royal Oak for the moment. But I digress.

If someone is amused by this communities willingness to help people with a problem, no matter how implausible, so be it. However, it would be a mistake to read much more than that into what is happening or to give too much credit to oneself for triggering it.

I was going to say that this seems a bit too improbable. I call shenanigans.

Last edited:

JimM

Newly Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
If they're regular old alkaline D cells, and you bought them in 1999, they're probably dead or leaking by now.

As for me, I'm going to buy stock in Vaseline. I can see you'll be needing a lot of it in the near future, as Patoodie disposes of those cells in her own way.
Vaseline will detiorate the O-rings, won't it?
Jim

Latest posts