New guy looking for a good LED flashlight

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around for a while now, but I not the most decisive person in the world. Mainly I'd like something that uses regular alkalines (or recharables) and isn't too big. I do a lot of computer work, so being short and capable of getting into computer cases is a must.

I looked at the inova X1, but I'm afaid that the beam is a bit too narrow for close-up work (correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like a great light otherwise). Sears has a new LED model that combines three standard LED's and a one watt Luxeon (I saw a post on another Craftsman light that used a one watt Luxeon, but it was a three AA model, this new one is a 4AA model). It's pretty short, but kind of stocky. Haven't seen anything else all that good locally.

Here's the link to the one I mentioned at Sears.

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Small, decently bright, get in tight places, long runtime.

Arc AAA-P

Or

You can skip playing around and get the HDS (everyones favorite but me)

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a dorcy 1 AA light that has 3 LEDs. Very small, cheap, uses common alkalines. You could even have someone mod it for you (or do it yourself) and replace the 3 5mm LEDs with 3 nichia CS 5mm LEDs. It's worth a try.

dorcy1aa4ca.jpg

attowatt

Enlightened
Or a Dorcy 1xAAA for $5.94 at walmart as seen below.

Sean: where are those dorcy aa 3 leds...not at walwart

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
The ARC AAA looks pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be availiable at their website.

The Dorcy's are definitley cheap, but I've never seen them at the local super store. That's not all that surprising, though... they have something different every week.

Any comments on the X1?

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
Ah yeah... I just kind of realized that the utter lack of any sidespill makes it a very single-purpose light. I'm looking for something that can multitask a bit.

Ledean

Enlightened
Powermat , welcome to CPF.
Like Sean said you can replace the dorcy led with nichiaa. To get better brightness you can try lithium batteries but they are not cheap. They are not realy bright for computer work. More useful for finding your way in the dark .

Inova x1 is a good choice.
For small bright lightrobust flashlight, running on cheap batteries , a cutdown minimag is a great choice.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Fenix L1P. First class 1AA light.

Ditto :) Before the fenix I'd suggest the Quantum III, but the Fenix
has the following advantages over it:
- uses AA cell instead of cr123
- has hard annodize finish
- Anti-reflective lens

:D

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the River Rock (nuwai) 2AAA at Target for $9.99. My new favorite little light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've recently seen the Dorcy 2 AA 3 LED at KMart. If the size of the X1 is okay I'd definitely consider the River Rock 2 AAA. On the other hand, my X1 is not as blue as the RR, and a little tape will give the Inova some flood.

Geoff

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
As already mentioned, these lights are top of the heap in this price range. My brother does computer service for a living and uses a Nuwai Q3; he says it's great for that.

- Nuwai Q3
- Fenix L1P
- Arc AAA-P

Of these I think the Fenix is the best overall, despite having a somewhat narrow beam. Sidespill is pretty good, uses one AA battery, better run time than the Q3.

For smallest possible size the AAA-P is good. Broad beam ideal for close up tasks. Excellent run time 5 hr. Output nowhere near the others, but adequate for close tasks (and output is about equal a Minimag, which is often used by service technicians).

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
I'd probably get the X1 if it wasn't for the complete lack of sidespill. Computer work isn't all about working inside cases, there's a lot of hunting for small screws in dimly-lit rooms.

The Fenix L1 (and even the L2) looks pretty good, but where do I find them for sale?

Also looked at the Nuwai Q3, but that appears to require Lithium batteries.

--edit--

Also, haven't heard any comments on the Craftsman, but it's probably too bulky anyway.

--edit--

Another edit... took a look at the Aurora 1.5 watt Jupiter light. A bit bigger than my mini mag, but not too much so. And I thought coming here would make my decision easier. :p

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
Sean,

I visited your web site and can NOT believe the apparent intensity of those sure fire light pics. :huh:

DO they really have that ring of white going around them? I never saw a beam so focused and unbroken like that.

:wow:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
PowerMatt said: "....The Fenix L1 (and even the L2) looks pretty good, but where do I find them for sale?...took a look at the Aurora 1.5 watt Jupiter light. A bit bigger than my mini mag, but not too much so..."

Fenix available here: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/fenix_l1.php

I'd strongly recommend the Fenix over the X1 or Aurora 1.5w. The Fenix is just a great all-round light: compact, powerful, good beam pattern, decent run time, common battery.

The only thing the Fenix lacks is a pocket clip, but it comes with a holster. If you have an old Minimag, I think that clip will fit the Fenix.

Although the Fenix has essentially taken over Nuwai Q3's former position as most recommended small light, the Q3 is still very good. Lithium CR123A batteries are only $1 each at www.batterystation.com for those with a CPF login name.

A very inexpensive pen-type light is the River Rock 0.5w 2AAA. Just $10 at Target. Overall output better than a MiniMag, about 7 hr run time. Only real negative is a blueish beam color.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
PowerMatt said:
I'd probably get the X1 if it wasn't for the complete lack of sidespill. Computer work isn't all about working inside cases, there's a lot of hunting for small screws in dimly-lit rooms.

The Fenix L1 (and even the L2) looks pretty good, but where do I find them for sale?

The L2 should be available in two weeks. They're playing with protos right
now. No price point set yet.

By the way, you can also get fenix's from jsburlys.com and my BST thread.
See my signature :)

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
Seems that the Fenix fits the bill quite nicely. The L1P is a little expensive, but I'm looking for something good and solid to use for quite a while to come, so it certainly seems worth it.

4sevens said:
The L2 should be available in two weeks. They're playing with protos right
now. No price point set yet.

By the way, you can also get fenix's from jsburlys.com and my BST thread.
See my signature :)

Looks like the only deciding factor might be what the price of the L2 is going to be. Otherwise I'd get one of your L1P's as soon as my check card gets renewed.

One more question. How well does the L1P do on NiMH batteries?