Mag C focussing wheel mod--how to

akwj

Newly Enlightened
This mod allows a Diamond 1 or 3 watt drop-in module to sit low enough in the reflector of a Mag to be focussed into a very tight beam: usually, they sit too high, and even on tightest focus leave a hole in the middle of the hotspot.

With this mod, you can focus to a parallel beam, and even beyond. The pictures/directions are for an old style 2C Mag, but it should be possible to use this idea with any old or new Mag C or D, however Your Milage May Vary.

Like any mod, it invalidates your warranty, and I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCEPT NO LIABILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS!

With that said :) Let's get started...

You'll need:

5/64" Allen key

Drill and small bit (I used 1.8 mm--more below)

Tap, or small self-tapping screw

First, remove the batteries, unscrew the head, remove the bulb/Diamond, and carefully prize/pinch off the rubber switch cover:

Turn the switch on (you'll have to have the button depressed to get the switch out), and use the Allen key to undo the screw in the bottom of the switch:

If you have an old style Mag, you'll have to undo the retaining ring below the lampholder column. I found it will twist quite easily using a nail or small screwdriver. It will probably help to push down on the bulb holder while you do this:

Slide the switch out of the front (or back, down the battery tube, on a new Mag C/D):

For reference, remember you have to put the ring back in the same place when reassembling!

The switch is liable to spring apart as you pull it out of the tube: beware! For reference, it goes back together thus:

If it hasn't already exploded :ohgeez: carefully open it up and remove the screw from the bottom connection strip:

Lift off the small right-angled positive battery contact, and unhook the opposite contact (connected to the spring) from its peg:

Turn the switch over, and you should be able to very carefully separate the ochre coloured tube from the black switch body (gently lift the tube out of its slot, and hinge it downwards):

Now, with the same Allen key, remove the focussing wheel (just incase you didn't realise, the cam on the bottom of the reflector rolls over this wheel as you twist the head, adjusting the position of the reflector relative to the bulb):

If it all falls apart :rolleyes: it goes back in this order:

Now for the actual mod:

Remove the brass tube, and drill and tap a new place for the focussing wheel. I forget which drill and tap I used (the numerals on my ancient tools are often obscured by rust... :) ), but if you don't have any likely candidates (or your local hardware store can't help), you can drill a small hole, and start the threads off with a small self-tap screw. The 'brass' collar is actually quite soft (and nowhere near as hard as the screw on the focussing wheel), so if you can get the threads to engage, they should cut their own path quite well. Just be careful not to drill the hole too large, or try to cut too large a thread: the tube is actually pretty thin.

BEWARE:

Don't drill too large a hole! Start small: it will be easy to enlarge.

Use a centre-punch (or a nail) to mark a dent where you want to drill--especially on a tube, this is a must to avoid the drill slipping.

I moved my focussing wheel 4.5 mm (0.175") UP the tube towards the bulb end. This much allows the Diamond to focus as tight as possible, and even just beyond. YMMV here.

(Maybe someone here knows the actual thread size of the focuss wheel screw?)

Make sure to clean off any swarf/rough edges from the tapped hole (outside AND inside), then reassemble:

It's a good idea of polish the underside of the brass tube and the top of the silver plated contact strip (the long one that slides under the brass collar) to reduce resistance. I removed nearly 5 ohms of resistance doing that!

With the bulb holder back together, you can follow the dismantling instructions in reverse to get the whole thing back together. On an old style Mag, don't forget to put the retaining ring over the bulb holder tube before putting the whole thing back into the battery tube!

--
:sweat:

With your Mag back together, the Diamond should now focus into a really tight spot, and should drop just below the level of the reflector on absolute tightest focus:

I changed the Luxeon on my 1 watt regulated Diamond to an RY0J: MUCH brighter than the one that came on it (runs at about 380 mA with 2 Energizer lithium AAs). I carefully desoldered the leads, using a toothpick to hold them off the wires, then prized/twisted the Luxeon off and glued the RY0J on with Arctic Alumina adhesive. Be careful with polarity and centering if you try this!

Anyway, I've only posted about a dozen times so far, so I hope this is useful: any comments/feedback much appreciated! :)

Thanks to ImageShack for free image hosting!

Last edited:

lamperich

Enlightened
great Instruction!

Looks a bit different (more complex) than my D size mag... :-D

also have resistance here.
one placeis the spring for the + connection ... but only 0,3ohm that´s acceptable...

Last edited:

akwj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

Reducing resistance really makes a difference! I think mine's down to around 0.2 ohms total now, from around 6.

Good luck with modding your mag: the increase in throw is well worth it.