SF M3T + 2x Pila 168S

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my spies tells me that I can use a SF M3T + A19 adapter + 2x Pila 168S. While I believe my spy, I'd just like some confirmation before I pull the trigger and buy one. Also, is Pila spring required for this application?

While I'm at it, will an M3 (non-turbo) + A19 + 2xPila168S work? What about a Pila spring for that?

thx

Last edited:

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I haven't tried a M3T, A19 & 2 Pila 168S, but yes it will work.

You will need the free spring. This goes around the stock spring in the head of the M3T.

I have a M3T, M4 & Pilas. I have both Pila 168S & 150S.

You need to use the M3T lamps not the M4 lamps with 2 Pilas.

edit: 2xPila 168S & A19 & free spring for the M3 & L6.

Last edited:

NextLight

Enlightened
Hoghead said:
You will need the free spring. This goes arount the stock spring in the head of the M3T.

Do we have a part number and source for this spring, please?

(Looking to solve problem with 2x 17500 cell shoulder pushing ground spring of KL6 up off M3 body, because KL6 center (+) spring is too short-weak even with n magnets on top 17500 cell.)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also found that you will need to stretch the Pila spring (free from JS Burlys) an extra half inch or so for reliable switching. This does reduce the effectiveness of the shock isolation if you are planning to use this on a firearm. I use 150s with mine and love this setup. :)

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Like leukos said, JS Burly's is the place to get the "free" spring. Just tell Jon Burly you need the free spring for use with the Pila batteries in a Surefire.

I haven't needed to stretch the spring, but one of my tailcaps wouldn't work with 2x150S in a L6, but when I traded with a tailcap from a L5 it worked fine. I don't know why this happened and the tailcap that wouldn't work with Pilas in the L6 worked just fine on my L5 with a Pila 168S. I think this is the only issue I've had with Pilas.

edit: I dented the positive contact on a Pila 168S by using a magnet on the positive end of the battery. This was in a effort to make contact with a KL1 on a E2E. Chop later said he adds a solder blob to make contact.

I was able to remove most of the dent with a fish hook by prying up from the underside of the positive end of the battery. This battery no longer works with a L4, but it works just fine in a U2 because the U2 has springs in it that make contact.

Last edited:

flashgreenie

Enlightened
leukos, just to understand you more. You use 2 x 150s batteries with the M3T without any other parts needed(like the A19) or any mods???

leukos said:
I have also found that you will need to stretch the Pila spring (free from JS Burlys) an extra half inch or so for reliable switching. This does reduce the effectiveness of the shock isolation if you are planning to use this on a firearm. I use 150s with mine and love this setup. :)

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened
will both the LOLA and HOLA (M3T versions) work with this set up? Is there any degradation in performance with them? what are the runtimes going to be like (more specifically with the HOLA) as I would like to use this as a duty light.

Boltgun

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an even simpler way to solve the cell pushing upward than the free spring, you can use a needlenose plier to pull out the stock spring of the SF LOTC and cut two turn of it off making it slightly shorter.
That'll make it work with the 2x150s/17500 setup with no problem and still work with regular cells...

Latest posts