What's a good mod(s) under $20 for a Maglite?

jcravenbpd

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am a newbie and just recently aquired a 3-cell "D" Maglite with a 3-watt Diamond Luxeon drop-in. My question is; is there any mods that will get this Luxeon running at full brightness for under $20?

Thanks,
Jordan

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, welcome to CPF! :wave:

I'm not sure about modding the 3-watt drop in, but are you looking specifically for a brighter light? 3-watt luxeons tend to be good for throw (in general) but 5-watters tend to be more of a flood.

-Mike

EDIT: you might also want to take a look at the thread here (not precisely what you are looking for but interesting none the less).

Last edited:

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I've been leery of trying those drop ins due to my worries about heat sinking. If you're willing to change your plan a little and solder four points, the sandwich shop sells a TV1J already thermally bonded to an Osink. That's a bright luxIII with a low Vf you could put in and get very nice brightness---its $21. I've done three 3D mags with TV1K's and have been very impressed--I'll never leave another family member's mag stock again.

Blueblur

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D mag with the maxstar2 bulb drop-in..
basically 2x1 watt side firing luxeon LEDs.
Is the Diamond 3watt that much brighter than this drop-in?

And why would you use a 3AA to D conversion? Other than the increased voltage, the current is greater over a longer period of time in a single D.. isn't it?

:huh:

NetMage

Enlightened
The increase in voltage lets you run a higher power bulb overdriven - do a search for Mag85 - it will blow most LED solutions out of the water in a 3D Mag.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
With your 3 x D cell light, you could put 3 x parallel AA x 3 deep, so the same voltage. The crazy reason to do it for primary cells is that you can purchase Li enhanced AAs, but not Ds (at least easily). There are also a lot of AA size NiMH and NiCd cells around. There are some D size ones out there, but not as many (but good ones )

If you are going to use the light often - and I mean really often, the recharge types are the way to go. If you are like many, and the light needs to be ready to go, but not all that often, then the Li AA primaries have great storage life and good run time.

The price might scare you at $ 2/ each, but they have great capacity.

The better bulbs will draw an amp or more, which is frankly pushing it with a normal D size alkaline. With 3 X AA in parallel, they think they are just coasting.