PrincetonTec brighter than Photonlight?

ledlite

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I was at a sporting goods store the other day and saw a keychain light by PrincetonTec (don't remember the model). The packaging said something like "ultra bright LED."

Curious, I took out my 2x Photon Freedom and compared it against the PT light and the PT is noticeably brighter...

Is it just me or are the PT keychain lights just brighter? (I haven't had my Photon for very long so the batteries should be ok)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several different brands of keychain (button cell) lights, but find the Photons the best of the lot and most useable, for me at least. The level of light isn't all that noticeable to me and my old, tired eyes.

For just one example, I find the Photon line to be the most useful and less prone to coming on accidently. I've had several other lights run down to nothing by accident, but never a Photon, or at least not yet.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anything, you should have seen the opposite. You probably saw the PT Pulsar II. It is 3-4 year old design. The Freedom 2x should be brighter.

Two things to consider with the Photon. Unless you are carrying it in the momentary only mode, they can turn on and off in your pocket using battery life without you knowing. I killed mine dead and now carry it on my keys in the momentary on mode. Also you may need to check that your Photon is coming on in the full bright mode.

With fresh batteries in each the Photon should be brighter.

Marl

paulr

Flashaholic
The coin lights are all pretty much the same, though the newest leds are brighter. They all get noticably dimmer after just a few minutes of operation on a set of batteries, though they stay usable for hours. If you want to compare two of them, you have to put fresh batteries in both.

ledlite

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your replies. I went to the store again today to check and yes the Photon is brighter. And I figured out the problem:

The light at the store was in the packaging with a white cardboard background. So when you try it, it really lights up. The light reflects off of the packaging and is really bright. When I tried my Photon, I was just pointing it in the air and looking at the LED from the side... stupid me.

Thanks again.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have noticed several manufacturers doing that with their packaging. Inova uses shiny paper that is slightly reflective on their packaging so things appear slightly brighter. I guess they need to because in most stores with their overhead lighting it is sometimes hard to tell just how bright a light you are buying. Photon also uses colored paper in their packaging to make the color of the LED stand out more when you light it up.