KL4 questions

pendentive

Newly Enlightened
I am looking into getting a surefire KL4.

The price is kinda high...but I assume it will be worth it. :D

I just want something bright...and LED. KL1 good enough? Or sure I go with the 5 or 6? Or another brand?

If the KL4 is a good balance between cost/light, then what body is best?

I know very little about LED flashlights. Just saw a KL4 review and thought it was pretty cool.

Thanks!

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums!

The KL4 is great. I have it and use it on either an E1E (one battery) or E2E (two battery) body. It is very bright. One thing you should be aware of is that it is pretty much a flood rather than a spot light. The KL1 has much less total light but it is tightly focused so it reaches quite far. Both are great but different types of light. Oh, another thing is that I think the KL4 will only work on the 1 cell body with a rechargeable battery. It will work with regular batteries in the two cell body. Cant go wrong with either one in my opinion. I usually have my KL4 on an E2E body with a Pila battery and a two stage tailswitch on it so that I can run it on high or low output. Enjoy!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Surefire L4, which comes with the KL4 on it. I really, really, really love it! You will not be disappointed!

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both the KL1 & KL4. If I only had one it would be the KL4. Very bright and a huge flood.

Since the KL4 sells for $90-$100, consider buying a whole L4. If you shop around on eBay or B/S/T here on CPF, it should cost about $30-$40 more than the head alone. Then you have the whole light with a good clickie switch too. A bargain compared to the head alone.

Also you will have a good E series start for interchangeable pieces. For example for about $30 add an E incan head and have both a great LED and a great incan light.

Mark

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
As said before, get either a full L4 or an E2L, and then you have a 'base' light. I personally would recommend getting the L4, then if you want you can get an E1L, adding both a KL1 head and an E1e body. After that you might consider a McE2s to make both lights 2-stage, and a rechargeable 123 or two so you can drive the KL4 (L4's head) at full spec in an e1e body.

You've gotta love surefires 'E' line.

A side thought: get a HDS EDC 60 or 85 (85 preferably) and have multiple levels of light (20 IIRC) Add a few accessories and you have one decked out light!

Best
-David

jtice

Flashaholic
I have an L4 and love it,
Lot of light for its size. Its always been known as the "room filler"
Nice wide spot, that fades to the spill.

Just dont expect it to throw real well, and you will love it.
Then add a dual stage twistie switch from the shoppe later :)

Heres my L4 review.
http://www.jtice.com/review/lights/l4/

~John

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a bright and side beam that gives you the ability to "light up your whole backyard" then the L4 (with KL4 attached) is for you. If you want a two-stage version of this light then look at the L2. It's a bit longer but it's got two levels of regulated output. (You can also get a custom tailcap for an L4 that gives you two-stage output on your L4.)

If you would rather have a tigher beam for longer (outdoor) reach then the KL1 might be right for you. The kL1 comes on the E1L (single cell light) and E2L (2 cell, longer run-time).

If you would rather have a 5W light like the L4 but with more throw then look at the L5, U2 or L6. They have longer throw than the L4.

Last edited:

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Hi Daniel, good to see you here.

I love my L4. It is extraordinarily bright. I put on the two-stage switch and used a rechargable and have a great light with a low and a high setting.

Since then, I moved the KL4 head to a Vital Gear and have a really small light that is incredibly bright, running on one 123 rechargable.

Unbelieveable brightness from a tiny package.

But what I carry on a daily basis is the HDS Systems EDC Ultimate 60 as I find the small size and four settings beats everything.