L2/L4 Beam Pattern

Cool Hand

Newly Enlightened
[font=&quot]Hello CPF. I am a new LED fan, just picked up a new Arc as my first led light. I am looking into a surefire L2 or L4 but I can't decide. The L2 says 100 lumens, which appeals to me, but I need to ask: Is the L2 more of a spot or a flood? From what I can find the L4 is more flood like, and that's what I don't want, but I can't find a cut and dry definition on the L2's beam. Thanks for all the good info I've already found here, much to much to take it all in!!!

-Cool Hand

[/font]

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is all flood. On low you get a nice flood with very long runtime. On High you get the well named "wall o' light" for about an hour or so.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to try the E1L or E2L (only difference between them is one or two batteries, two batteries give a little more light output and longer run-time).

The E1L and E2L use an special optic to focus the light into a nice tight beam. If you buy an E1L or E2L and want a flood beam sometimes, you can use a F04 beamshaper that slips over the lens and diffuses the light for close up work.

Here are some shots of the beam profile of the E1L/E2L (both use the same KL1 bezel) and the L4 (KL4 bezel):

klf04kl46om.jpg

I have some outdoor shots here: http://members.aol.com/mlt113/myhomepage/flashlighte1l.html

Cool Hand

Newly Enlightened
Alright! Thanks guys! Thanks for the pics and links Sean. The KL4 looks to have a nice spot and plenty of flood. I think I'll have to find somewhere I can check them out before buying, and I'm glad I asked.

WDR65

Enlightened
Ehh. Actually the KL4 doesn't have a whole lot of spot, at least not past about 15 feet it will cover my entire backyard at home though. The KL1 is almost the exact opposite with a tight spot. Sounds like you want something in between. The Surefire L5 or U2 might fit what you're looking for a little better and though larger the L5 is only a few dollars more than an L4. Also the Streamlight TL-2 Led though not as bright as the two I listed above seems to have a good combination of throw and side spill. Don't get me wrong, I have the KL4 and the KL1 but the Streamlight might be a better compromise for what you want.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got:

Old style KL1s ( 1 watters - more of a flood - well that depends on whether or not you got a low dome LED [flood] or a high dome [more of a "spot"])...

New style KL1s (3 watters with a definite spot and GREAT throw with plenty of sidespill - but this beam tends to annoy those who favor the older KL1s)...

New style L1 (with the newer KL1 type head)....

Several L4s/KL4s (more of a "FLOOD WALL" of light to me!!)

Putting a Surefire F04 beam shaper gives one the BEST of both worlds (want a flood - put on the beamshaper)
(want a spot - take the beamshaper off)

Don't know about the newer L2s...

BTW Cool Hand, Welcome aboard for sure - but I've got to ask if there is a reason you need to type in that size/bold font? Sort of like screaming. It's actually annoying...

Font sizes/styles/colors/graemlins are indeed an important part of this software and can be used or abused...

Please don't take this as a negative comment, merely "constructive"...thanks and enjoy these halls!!

Last edited:

nidhoggr

Newly Enlightened
as others have stated, L2 is a wall of light. i took it on a walk at night in the river valley where i live and i can say that it's useful for stuff at close ranges but if you want to see further... The L4 will be pretty much the same since it has pretty much the same size reflector. If you want an led light that will have more throw and some spill, I would recommend looking at the L5 or maybe the L6. I have an L6 and it throws very well with a decent spill. Might be a bit long for edc though...