the new puppy linux needs no hd at all!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
http://distrowatch.com/Puppy Linux has been updated to version 1.0.6: "Puppy Linux version 1.0.6 released. The two big items in this release are AbiWord 2.4.1 and the multisession DVD. With the 2.4 series, AbiWord has come of age. This is now professional wordprocessing, and Puppy enhances the pleasant experience with a large number of plugins included in the live CD, including grammar checker and equation editor. The Puppy multisession DVD-R is a very smooth experience. For the uninitiated, this boots up from DVD and saves everything back to DVD, no hard drive required at all." Read the Puppy Linux release notes for further details. Download: puppy-1.0.6-mozilla.iso (55.7MB, MD5), puppy-multisession-1.0.6-mozilla.iso (46.4MB, MD5). i cut and paste this man thats so cool before ya didnt need hadrive but ya couldt save stuff

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yeah, that's cool.

I frequently use the BBC version (http://www.lnx-bbc.org/) to diagnose probelms or when I want a quick linux system I can boot anywhere.

BBC is a bootable CD small enough to be used with the Business Card sized CDs. It's pretty full featured and includes MEMTEST86, a fairly good memory tester.

Thanks for pointing out puppy, I may need to look into that.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it also has many cools apps for its small size which is only like a 57 meg dl

raggie33

*the raggedier*
useing it now it works great saves everything back to dvd or cd. my sound card even worrks plays my xvid movies and it only took up 57 megs on dvd so far .

shaman

Newly Enlightened
I have never had the opportunity to try Puppy Linux. Aren't they one of the ones that had the USB version as well ?.? I can't remember off hand... Anyways, if you like the Live CD versions of linux (and other distros) you might want to try the Ultimate Boot CD. Its got quite a few helpful programs that can be used for troubleshooting or just a burn in.

Ultimate Boot CD - http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

I'm sure since we are all fellow OSS users everyone has heard of the following but just in case... Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Knoppix. I've tried all of them and each will get you a pc running linux in no time.

Also if you have the time, you might want to try UML, Xen, and QEMU. That way you can run whatever you want, when ever you want. Great for testing your apps in a jailed environment (for you developers) and/or playing with new OSes from the same host OS. Just make sure ya got a beefy enough workstation and/or server before you boot up FreeBSD, Fedora Core 4, and QNX all from your Debian KDE desktop :) . In any even it is cheaper than VMware :) .

Sincerely,

Shaman

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone remember the name of the Unix OS that fit on a single floppy disk? Had a full internet browser that could connect via modem or NIC? I don't think it was QNix, but it might have been from the same company.

I always thought that was pretty neat but this is obviously a step up. Might have to check it out though I haven't done anything with any Unix or Linux since like Mandrake 8.1 which was almost 4 years ago.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yep they have a flash one to but flash memory cost a lot.compared to a dvd.plus my poc sadly wont boot from usb .o i have the ubcd i love it i got the full version.lol had to dl it when i had dail upo still but its a very very valble tool .ya can even test a pc with it since it hs metest an prim95 if irecall .i sw something called the windows based ubcd but some reason it wasnt a iso i couldt figure how to burn it

shaman

Newly Enlightened
cratz2:

Yep, QNX had two floppy versions (dialer & NIC) and even a CD version that was only release once. Tomsrtbt is another floppy version, but it was kinda the first on the block in its time. The QNX versions were merely demo disks but they sure did prove a lot.

raggie33:

I had a friend show me ubcd, it does its job well. You really should try those other apps (QEMU,etc). There just something about running 3+ OSes in windows (not the OS) like they were applications, then when your done just exit the window(s) off... Just shows how fast linux/*nix/BSD are maturing.

Sincerely,

Shaman

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I have USB bootable option, but no DVD burner/reader yet.
I've only used Linux from a bootable CD to reset the local admin password on a XP/2000/2003 server machine. :)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
Cool. I have USB bootable option, but no DVD burner/reader yet.
I've only used Linux from a bootable CD to reset the local admin password on a XP/2000/2003 server machine. :)

Lunux from a bootable PC is also a painless way to wipe disks. For a simple wipe just Boot into linux and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 followed by dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im trying to get rid on windows im closer everyday.but my dang sony md player needs windows

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, I believe you were the one that told me about Slax. That fits on a pocket sized CD. I don't run it much but it's a great diagnostic tool. When a computer running windoze has problems, a quick boot of Slax can help determine if the problem is with hardware or a corrupted OS.

It can't handle NTFS though. Can the puppy do that?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im pretty sure it can but it dont see my sata drives and i dont have ide in this pc

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it was QNX. Before the single floppy thing came out, I used to install QNX on very old systems (386 16s and 20s, I think) for a very large stock and newswire company. This was when about Pentium 120s were the top dog. They used those old machines for security monitoring. I was always impressed with how well they ran. I had one friend that was very into the whole Unix and Linux scene WAY before I was. He even had FAQs published on many of the distribution CDs and he was always telling me how effecient Linux was, but I never really appreciated it until I worked with QNX... mostly because I always had a pretty modern system at any given time.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
eluminator said:
Raggie, I believe you were the one that told me about Slax. That fits on a pocket sized CD. I don't run it much but it's a great diagnostic tool. When a computer running windoze has problems, a quick boot of Slax can help determine if the problem is with hardware or a corrupted OS.

It can't handle NTFS though. Can the puppy do that?

Not positve but I think knoppix will do this. Also a little tip, Mandrake's install disk will allow you to resize an NTFS partition in case you need that. I have not tested this personally so I would not attempt it on your/a production system. Also linux ntfs drivers are coming up to speed but there are still little quirks that are being ironed out.

Sincerely,

Shaman

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really don't need an special distro. I run slackware on my machine so when i wanted a read only system for my truck pc I just installed slack on the cf card and took out the remount r/w from the init scripts, it was pretty easy.