Is the Fenix L1P worth the extra dough???

Greg

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering if it was worth paying the extra $15 to get the premium version of the Fenix. Does anyone have both of them that could possibly give me some input.

Thanks,
Greg

cognitivefun

Enlightened
HA III is worth it to me because other stuff gets scratched too easily the way I carry everything smashed together in my pocket :)

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's a trade off.

I personally prefer the toughness of HA III and the little bit of xtra brightness. but the drawback to the extra brightness is less runtime.

My dad whom I gave a pick of the two versions of the Fenix chose the L1 for the runtime, he said he didn't care if it had "battle marks" and "HE" couldn't tell the difference in brightness with the neked eye.

hope it helps
doug

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, yes, because don't forget, in adition to the better finish, the P version has both an antireflective coating on the glass which allows more light output AND (and in my opinion more importantly) a hand selected R binned emitter which is more efficient. When dealing with just a AA battery, its good to have all of the efficiency you can muster, and these two additions over the L1 (plus better finish) are worth the $15 more- at least if you are getting the light for yourself. If you are giving it as a gift to a non-flashaholic, I doubt they would appreciate the niceties over the L1 version, but you never know.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have an L1P v2.5 and an L1 v2.0. I'd say in actual use, it's basically impossible for me to tell the difference when using them inside a normal room (ie with the light falling on carpet, walls etc... NOT when shining them directly on a white wall 1 foot away). Out doors (using my oft-repeated 52 foot minibarn test, I can tell a bit of difference though in a double blind test, I doubt I could tell which was which.

I do like the anti-reflective coating on the Premium, and the HAIII coating is nice (though mine is already showing some imperfections and it's never been against keys, change etc...). I think they both have glass lenses as the sound the same when 'clinked' and a gentle scrape with a sharp knife doesn't leave scratch marks on either. I don't know what bin is in my non-Premium, but compared to the Premium, the L1 is violet-ish and Premium is greenish. Without comparing them both directly with one another, they both look quite white.

I haven't done an actual controlled runtime test on the non-Premium, but I expect at least another hour of decent output on 2.500 NiMHs.

I carry the Premium rather than the L1 and I'm not 100% sure why. I bought the Premium first and then wanted a non-Premium in silver to go along with it. I could happily live with either of them.

MrMom

Enlightened
Re: Is the Fenix L1P worth the extra dough??? lux added

Judge for yourself...

Fenix 2.0
a. 540Ma. 350Lux 1.542 Ma/Lux .648 Lux/Ma
b. 650Ma. 240Lux 2.708 Ma/Lux .369 Lux/Ma

Fenix 2.5
c. 780Ma. 430Lux 1.813 Ma/Lux .551 Lux/Ma
d. 720Ma. 300Lux 2.400 Ma/lux .416 Lux/Ma

Fenix 2.5P
e. 730Ma. 440Lux 1.659 Ma/Lux .602 Lux/Ma
f. 770Ma. 470Lux 1.638 Ma/Lux .610 Lux/Ma

Battery current draw from a freshly charged La Crosse 1.2v 2000 NiMH cell. Readings were taken after 1 Min of run time.

I'll let someone else figure out $/Lux.

# a is my favorite of the bunch. :wave:

Last edited:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks for the input. I think I will get the premium for myself, and the standard for my non flashaholic friend. He won't notice a difference anyway.

Problem is, does anyone know when Lighthound will be getting in another batch of standards?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed about the L1P V2.5. I ordered both and the L1 is a nice light. Putting them side by side, the P variant shows what the additional $$ does.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Greg said:
Well, thanks for the input. I think I will get the premium for myself, and the standard for my non flashaholic friend. He won't notice a difference anyway.

Problem is, does anyone know when Lighthound will be getting in another batch of standards?

Lighthound states the production from the Chinese factory will concentrate on the L1P until the end of the year, so it may be early 2006 before you could even buy a standard model.

Mike abcd

Enlightened

MrMom said:
Judge for yourself...

Fenix 2.0
a. 540Ma. 350Lux 1.542 Ma/Lux .648 Lux/Ma
b. 650Ma. 240Lux 2.708 Ma/Lux .369 Lux/Ma

Fenix 2.5
c. 780Ma. 430Lux 1.813 Ma/Lux .551 Lux/Ma
d. 720Ma. 300Lux 2.400 Ma/lux .416 Lux/Ma

Fenix 2.5P
e. 730Ma. 440Lux 1.659 Ma/Lux .602 Lux/Ma
f. 770Ma. 470Lux 1.638 Ma/Lux .610 Lux/Ma

Battery current draw from a freshly charged La Crosse 1.2v 2000 NiMH cell. Readings were taken after 1 Min of run time.

I'll let someone else figure out $/Lux.

# a is my favorite of the bunch. :wave:

Can you comment on the color variations on the L1P V2.5 vs L1 non P V2.5?

I'm interested in the L1 non P as gifts for folks who probably wouldn't notice or appreciate the difference in light output and battery life. I have a L1P V2.5 in transit for myself.

Thanks,
Mike

jtice

Flashaholic

This might help also :)

FENIX.jpg

MrMom

Enlightened

Mike abcd said:
Can you comment on the color variations on the L1P V2.5 vs L1 non P V2.5?

I'm interested in the L1 non P as gifts for folks who probably wouldn't notice or appreciate the difference in light output and battery life. I have a L1P V2.5 in transit for myself.

Thanks,
Mike

All tested were white except #d which is a greenie.

jtice's graph clearly shows the value of running NiMH's in this light.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at jtice's graph, I'd say the L1P v2.0 has about the same curve with alkalines as the v2.5 does, and yet I read that the v2.0 is supposed to have better regulation with alkalines.