R123 + Dummy Spacer in U2?

ET

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I ran a search but couldn't find the answer to this and it's the one thing holding me back from buying a U2...Does the U2 work with an R123 + a dummy spacer? The R123 is by MP. Nominal voltage is 3.6V or 3.7V but fresh off the Nano charger is 4.1V or so. I currently use this setup in my L2 and L4 and it works great. I get decent runtime. Brightness seems uncompromised. The L2's high and low settings both work great. Now, can the U2 and all of its selectable output levels be used properly with my setup? I've heard that Pila 168A's and some 18650 battery works great but I don't want to invest in any new rechargeable battery technology for now.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of what I've read on this forum, I can tell you this : do NOT put 2 RCR123's into the light. It will be direct driven at that voltage, and the LED might be destroyed due to overvoltage and overheating. It's possible to drive it with the Pila 168A, the output would be around 10% dimmer but it's not a big difference and you wouldn't notice it if you can't measure it with a lux meter. Since your RCR123 has a voltage of 4.x V, it seems no problem to me to put it in your U2 with a dummy CR123 since the voltage of the advised battery setup (2 CR123) is 6V. It will be slightly brighter than using a 168A, so it should be less than 10% less bright than with 2 CR123 batteries.

cy

Flashaholic
ya it would work, but why?

simply use 18650, which are plentiful and cheap
will give aprox. 2hr runtime on high

ET

Newly Enlightened
cy said:
ya it would work, but why?

simply use 18650, which are plentiful and cheap
will give aprox. 2hr runtime on high

Because, I already own R123's and a Nano charger so I would rather not add to the expensive U2 by buying even more batteries and charger.

Thanks people for helping out. Now to find myself a U2.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
ET said:
Because, I already own R123's and a Nano charger so I would rather not add to the expensive U2 by buying even more batteries and charger.

You can send an e-mail to Michael at mike [AT) opticshq .DOT. com . He can make a very tempting offer for new U2's :)

cy

Flashaholic
ET said:

bare 18650 are aprox 2400 mah VS aprox. 650 mah for highest tested R123. lots of claims much higher, but not..

18650 are aprox. $8ea VS R123 for $4. you can use same charger for 18650 with leads clipped to your current charger. just will take longer to charger 18650.

charger that will do both R123 and 18650 are aprox. $16
simply sell what cha already got and get correct size cell.