My best flashlight experience so far...

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
...was yesterday. The British band Coldplay had a concert in Stockholm and I was lucky enough to own two tickets, bought for a ridiculous high price, and to be able to go there with the most wonderful girl in the world, on her birthday. Man, what a day...

So, to the flashlight point. During the ballads, people pulled out their lighters and waved the flame with the beat of the music and I saw at least one using a AAA incan with quite pathetic output. I was also equipped for this, not propane powered, but lithium powered :devil: .

The premises (strange translation) was a bit smokey to give more effect to the lighting effects (very cool ones). So, I pulled out my SF G2 with P61 and BANG!, a large pillar of light shot out from it and I waived it with the beat of the music like everyone else. All the people around me was looking at me and their facial expressions was priceless. My date was laughing with me as she waived her lighter. (She loves to hear how HID lamps work and is very fascinated by my flashlights... Man, I just have to marry her).
Anyway, the P61 sucks batteries like crazy and I noticed the beam getting dimmer, fast. Soon it went out and the song ended.

I did have spare batteries with me but I decided to try out my U-binned Groovy! (CPF special #38) which, according to PhotonFanatic, was a Luxeon lottery winner. As they began singing "Fix you", it was time for the lighters again and, as everyone knows, the song goes "LIGHTS WILL GUIDE YOU HOME..." :naughty: . My Groovy! was literally lighting up the ceiling at Globen (where the concert took place) and I bet that no one missed the even brighter blue pillar it was shooting into the air as it waved with the music.

When the concert was over and people tried to find their way out in the darkness before they tuned on the lights again, I used the Groovy! to illuminate the pathway in front of us. I heard someone behind me saying "Holy crap! That's a bright flashlight!" :naughty:

I will never forget that night. And the concert was awesome too!

Was any other CPFers there?

Take care!
/Andreas

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nice story, you'll marry her. :)

Another story. Just light night I was heading back home on my bike, and startled a couple of pedestrians who suddenly appeared around a dark corner. As I went by, one of them said "Wow! That's bright, I thought it was a car..." :laughing: Made my flashaholic heart swell with pride. And they haven't seen my new helment setup! :grin2:

Mattman

Enlightened
How come my experiences never work out like this? I always end up having someone ask "why do you have that with you?".

CLHC

Flashaholic
Not as exciting as the one posted here, but yesterday I was at Traffic Court. I did not know you had to check in through security like at the airport. Had to put all personal items into the plastic bucket like belt, watch, wallet, cell, and these—SureFire M2, 3MMag, MiniMag w/NG750 Sandwich. . .

I heard one of the sheriff's deputies call out to the others saying: "Hey fellas! Now THAT there is a nice flashlight!"—[refering to the M2] They all came around to check it out and the 3MMag to. A couple of them asked to try both of them out and they remarked how bright it was and that the beams had no "black hole"! All the while the 2 of the other deputies standing there were talking to themselves saying something like "that's the one!". . .

They proceeded to let me through and said "don't let that get away from you now!"

And that's all folks!. . .

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
To everyone who felt like they where there,

I'm trying to find pictures from the concert to enhance your feelings and to se if cameras judge differently from what I saw.

Perfectionist, greenLED,

God knows I'm trying. Problem is, she's 25 and I'm 21. However, I've come up with the perfect Christmas gift for her. :grin2: If she then doesn't melt like butter in front of a USL then I don't know what to do.

More from the concert: The security guys who showed they way for Chris Martin (the singer) when hi did a run among the audience had flashlights to show the way and illuminate the pathway in front if him. One of them was almost out of batteries and I wished that I would have put more time into completing my 46 kilocandela Magmod, just to do their job from the grandstand (strange translation again), about 40 meters away or so. :devil:

Coop57

Enlightened
Last August I was doing 35 in a 25MPH zone. Got stopped by a local LEO. It was a dark night. During the usual Drivers license, registration and insurance check the bulb on his 4 D Maglite blew out. He said that it happened too often. I asked him if I could show him an easy solution to his problem and I showed him my 3 D Maglite with an LED conversion. He asked where he could get one of these LED conversions. I told him to give me his email address and I would send him a link http://www.led-replacement.com/ . Needless to say I got off with no ticket and a thanks for the LED conversion suggestion. OK maybe I was going 40 in a 25.

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
The Mastercard marketing team should get in touch with you (assuming this type of ad is used outside the US):

Tickets to Coldplay concert: $$$
Surefire G2 w/ P61: $$
U-binned Groovy: $

The oppurtunity to show off your flashlights in front of thousands of people _AND_ your girlfriend at the same time: Priceless!!

gbaker

Newly Enlightened
winny said:
The British band Coldplay had a concert in Stockholm Was any other CPFers there?

Take care!
/Andreas

For what its worth my 21 year old stepdaughter likes Coldplay. I at 45 listened to several of their songs and really got to liking them. Bought their live CD and DVD (the DVD unfortunately was poorly done) and enjoyed them. They kinda remind me of the way rock & roll was (and should be:) ).

Robban

Enlightened
Mattman said:
How come my experiences never work out like this? I always end up having someone ask "why do you have that with you?".
You're not alone.
"Well... that's nice.." is what I usually get.

Wyeast

Enlightened
"How many flashlights do you have?... and why do you need so many?"

:naughty:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robban, Mattman,

You need a new set of friends, preferably those without girlfriends, who doesn't get out very much. Normal persons could work here too, if they have a (good, but strange) sense of humor, and taste.

GalvanickLucifer,

Sure thing! They did have a run with some men out fishing who had all the expensive equipment money could buy, and the ability to show feelings and let the fish go in front of your friends as priceless a year ago or so, and some others.

Tickets to Coldplay: $152
Gorgeous date: Free
SureFire G2 with P61 LA: $60
Serialized Groovy! with your name and UX1K: $160
The ability to show off in front of your date and thousands of people: PRICELESS!

Now, I just need a picture. I've been looking like crazy for pictures and videos and found lots of them, but none with me visible anywhere. What's wrong with people??? If I would have had a digital camera and saw someone with a ridiculously bright flashlight at a concert, I would have taken a picture and put it on the Internet under the geekiest nerd ever section right away.

About the girlfriend part you mentioned, and this one is funny.
Girlfriend? No, unfortunately not.
Friend? Definitely.
Girl? I'm not so sure here.

Don't get me wrong, you would not mistake her for a man, no way. But before the concert she was choosing clothes, so +5 girlpoints here. She put on a white shirt and asked,
"How about this one?".
"Sure, why not."
That's -50 girlpoints for not expecting to hear how wonderful it was. Then she changed to a black one.
"Do I look fat in this?", she asked.
"Yes, well, a bit."
Then I just realized what I said and expected the worst. :sweat: Normally I can detect these situations and lie, but my mind was elsewhere that day.
"Ok, then I'll try something else" and changes again.
"How about a red one? Do I look fat in this?"
Trying to save the situation, I responded
"No, just cuddly."

She was as happily as ever and I was amazed. THAT'S -1000 GIRLPOINTS FOR NOT CASTRATING ME. Isn't she lovely?