mag 3D to 4C mod?

pizzaman

Enlightened
I have a spare mag 3D flashlight that I would like to mod to accept 4C cells.

I have done archive searches, but can't seem to find anyone that has done this mod. I started cruising the mod forum, but that didn't provide much in the way of helpful results (some info on a 2D to 4C mod). I can't be the first person to walk down this path.

I would appreciate any help here.

First, I will need to find/fabricate a holder to take up the extra diameter for the smaller C cells in the D size maglite. I planned on trying PVC pipe.

Second, I need to do some kind of mod to the tail cap to handle the extra length of the 4Cs. (Probably a drastic cut down of the tail spring. Anything else?). The length of the cells is the biggest challenge for me.

Third, I need a new bulb to handle the extra voltage. With a nearby RadioShack I should be able to come up with something.

Am I headed down the right track? Any thoughts?

Thanks, TR

NetMage

Enlightened
I think I did a 2D -> 3C mod using a drop-in Diamond LED module. I needed to sand the inside of the tailcap and cut the spring to drop all the way inside the tailcap (where the extra bulb is normally stored) to make room for the extra cell.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
pizzaman

The PVC spacer will work, 4 C cells are around 10mm longer than 3 D cells, I don't recall if I used a cut down D spring or a C cell spring it's been awhile but it will drop inside the tail cap. Leave the 3 cell bulb in for a little over drive :p

Later
Kelly

pizzaman

Enlightened
Sway, netmage,

If I get the time this weekend I'll bust out the dremel tool and cutters.

mmmmm...overdrive.....

Thank you for the input.

TR

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag-Num Star Xenon 4 cell.

3 cell Mag White Star Krypton it is brighter than the KPR 113 and the Mag-Num Star Xenon 4 cell. Thanks. I like it. I'll let you know if it blows.

Maybe you've discovered something in that XPR 103 Xenon. Maybe it is the best solution even in this 4Cto3D application.

pizzaman

Enlightened
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I will post this write up over in the "incans" forum to see if I can get some new folks into modding.

TR

"World's Simplest 3D mag Upgrade" say the headlines.

I'm probably not the first to do it this way, but I haven't seen it written up in the group yet.

I wanted to use my trusty, but outdated, mag 3D light as a platform for some basic mods. The simplest seemed to be upgrading to 4C cells. The C batteries are smaller in diameter, so an adaptor would be needed. The 4C cells are longer than 3D cells, so a mod to the spring in the rear cap would be needed. The flashlight already has a Radio Shack XPR103, xenon 3.6v bulb installed.

Just for grins, before I started cutting and grinding, I popped in the 4C cells. I looked at the spring and thought it might work inverted. I pulled out the spring and spare bulb holder. I flipped the spring over and installed it back in the cap. I screwed the cap back on, hit the switch and Wow! It worked! No cutting, no adaptors, the batteries do not rattle (I've tried), and no permanent mods.

Plus+
Easy. Anyone can do this mod in less than a minute. Inexpensive, just the cost of 4C cells. Fully reverseable in a minute. Use the same bulb. Significant increase in whiteness and brightness over a stock mag 3D.

Minus-
No more room for spare bulb in base of flashlight (keep a spare in the glove box). Unknown life span of bulb, but so far so good with other lights.

What a great way to get newbies or non-tech folks into modding flashlights.

Non-scientific test time-

I pulled out a matching 3D mag (Krypton 3.6v), put in fresh batteries and compared. The 3D was weak and sickly yellow in comparison. I can't go back now. The difference in performance goes way beyond a simple upgrade from krypton to xenon bulbs. I also tried what I think is mag white star krypton bulb in the stock 3D light. (the bulb has straight sides with a small lens at the top). It did not appear brighter than the krypton, but had more beam artifacts. Maybe somebody can ID this bulb (It says "MEXICO MSA3" on the base).

Currently I have contact paper on the rear of the lenses of all my mags as a diffuser. It works great to smooth out the beam at minimal cost and effort (also fully reversible).

Next, I did some quick and dirty testing in my darkened basement. Side by side tests with a SFA2 and a $20 Cylops xenon 2, CR123 cell flashlight. I'll test for throw after it gets dark out.

Mag vs. Cyclops:
Mag whiter, brighter and better beam.

Mag vs. A2:
A2 whiter. I don't know how much of that is the added blue/white color of the 3 LEDs that also light up. Brightness, A2 may have an edge, but the mag has diffuser that will reduce this. The mag with diffuser has a better quality and brighter spill with less definition to the edge of the spill.

Mag without diffuser vs. A2:
This evened things up a bit. The brightness is fairly similar and whiteness of the mag slightly increased. The mag had a very defined edge to the spill. Down-side, the beam is chock full of classic maglite artifacts. Yuck. Back goes the diffuser. Walking around the basement, the A2 and mag are equally functional with a slight edge to the A2 for whiteness (I understand SF drives this bulb pretty hard with its regulated output). Also slight edge in brightness for the A2. This is a guess since the whiter light may be deceiving my eyes into believing it is also brighter.

Impressions-
Cyclops: Great, low cost beater light (If you can find affordable replacement bulbs)
SF A2: What can I say. This is arguably the coolest, most versatile pocket flashlight made.
Mag 3D/4C: Simple inexpensive mod, that gets this tuff old light off its lazy arse.

For peace of mind, I'll probably go ahead and fabricate a PVC pipe battery adaptor for the 4C, (this baby still has responsibilities as a "persuader"). I know the xenon bulb shouldn't be overdriven this hard, but I have put this same RS XPR103 bulb in three different 4D lanterns, with the same superb results. Only time will tell what the lifespan is for this bulb, but I have no worry about "flashing" the filament. Till one pops, I'll keep running my 4 cell flashlights with this bulb.

I'm liking this mag 4C enough that I may pony up for a nice aluminum MOP or stippled reflector. Maybe even a high quality lens.

I wish I had some test equipment so I could provide the group with precise measurements. I would love to know what kind of output is possible with a 3.6v xenon driven with 4C alkaline cells.

Have fun, TR

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
OE bulb Japan, ususally. White Star Hong Kong. Mag-Num Star Mexico thinner more cylindrical envelope.

Hey, pizzaman. I know you don't want to call this a done deal yet but the XPR103 is still working in my 4D Dorcy Lantern. This lantern never did do anything right except it's immitation of R2D2. Now it actually throws white light. Every since you told me about this bulb I've been turning the lantern on every night intermittantly then letting it run 5-6 minutes.

No problems. Now you've got me wanting to put some contact paper in the "lens". Maybe this thing will actual become of some use other than constantly asking about this Leia person.

Good one, pizzaman.

----------------------------

- Jeff