BOG 5 Watt or KL5 head?

goke

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing some research on these two heads and about the only difference I can find is that the BOG doesn't have an O-ring, so water-tightness might be an issue. Is this the only difference? (besides the price!)

Am I missing any other differences here?
It will be going on a 6P, for use around the house and as a back-up at work occasionaly.

Thanks!

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've just been through this dilema for my 6P and for what you say you want it for, the L5 Head I personally think will be too much power when not needed, plus your batteries won't last near as long. I recommend the new style KL3 Generation 2 head as you can get it in black HAIII finish and it really beats the heck out of the bugout gear 3 watt. Battery life is about 4.5 hours plus on full power then decreasing thereafter. To put it simply, I've had the original KL3, then the bog 3 watt, then the new improved kl3 and WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT.

It all depends on what YOU want as no one knows better than you what will make you happy. If you want economy, then go with bug out gear 3 watt, (the 5 watt is too hot for the 6p) but you don't have the quality. However, if you want the quality then you can get the new improved KL3, black HAIII for under $60.00 and it does blow away the bug out gear drop in. Also you can go with the KL5, but that will cost lots more, and I think is an overkill for the 6P.
If you check with lighthound, or john at www.lighthound.com he can get you one. I had to wait for a little while for mine, as he was out of them, but it didn't take too long, and it was worth the wait.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im curious about the BOG 5W head as well. flashlightreviews.com has its output at right around 62 lumens so it would be very nice and bright. I'm just wondering a couple of things about it. 1) Where is it manufactured? 2) Would it be alright on a 9P?

Anyone know?

socom45

Newly Enlightened
the 5 watt would be much better for the 9p...however the bog drop in I would have thought would get too hot for the 9p bezel... the kl5, as long as it will go on the threads, would work nicely though (IMO). I will say though, after doing a foot patrol around the depot, the kl3 generation 2 has plenty of good light and throw for general use....not to mention has it's tactical advantages too. Really good performance given the runtime compared to the performance vs runtime on the KL5

goke

Newly Enlightened
Two posters mentioned that a 5 watt head would be "too hot" for a 6P. Do you think there will be heat problems?
I want the power of a 5 watt and the 1 hr run-time is fine with me.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the 5 watt "drop in" would be too hot for the bezel, plus the bog drop in would not perform or put out the light like the kl5 head would.... You can get the KL5 head and it will be fine for the 6p (not sure about the thread diameter on the 9p) will work perfectly and if you don't mind the runtime, I think you'll be well pleased with the performance. (Should get at least 1.5-2 hours on high power then decreasing power thereafter) but it won't just die out like the incandescent lamp. I don't know who or where you would buy from but if you talk to lighthound at www.lighthound.com he'll fix you up.