newest gen KL1

WhiteLight

Newly Enlightened
What options do I have for running a old style Surefire KL1 on two AA cells?

Does someone make a body like the Maglite that will work with it?
How about a tail cap switch options?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Old style Surefire KL1 and 2xAA options?

vital gear is what you need. They sell body tubes that are SF compatible. I belive the 3cr123a tube fits 2 aa. You can get ones with a click tail cap. I *think* SF tailcaps will fit the tubes as well.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
loving the KL1

I received a KL1 head today (thanks Osprey_Guy ). I did not really expect to be impressed. I am impressed. The beam is a bit unusual, it is square. It is a nice little spot light. I put the head on a vital gear single cell body. This is one tiny little thrower. It is very white.

As an aside it is cool that my wife actually has a preference she likes wide bright beams, For example the KL4. While I prefer more of a spot.
Isn't that cool? She carries a bare aluminum (groovy?)light with a 750ma driver behind a nice white Tw0K under an optic.
She is so happy to have a bright white light that works every time in her purse.
Amazing.
Back to the KL1. If you need (or want)a versatile, small efficient white spot go grab a KL1. You will not be disappointed.
Yaesumofo

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: loving the KL1

yaesumofo said:
I am impressed.

Yaesumofo

as you should be, but I got one with a nasty pink tint, and my brothers KL1 outthrows it considerably. Its really unfortunate, I though Surefire would limit the tints on their light.

-David

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Send them an e-mail about your problem they will exchange it .

Yaesumofo

cheapo said:
as you should be, but I got one with a nasty pink tint, and my brothers KL1 outthrows it considerably. Its really unfortunate, I though Surefire would limit the tints on their light.

-David

PJ

Enlightened

I have a KL1 on an Aleph 1x123 body with a Z52 tailcap and an F04 beamshaper. This combination turned out to be more useful than I first thought it would be. I also have a Vital Gear 3x123 body that matches up in color that allows me to use AA rechargeables or Lithiums. It even works for a little while on alkalines. I keep planning on putting this setup on BST and getting a McGizmo PD but so far this set up is doing everything I need in a small pocketable light. I have an Arc AAA for EDC and usually carry the KL1 setup at night. The KL1/F04 combination seems underrated considering its versatility.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wore out a F04 as a lensprotector on the KL1. Very nice, but most of the time, I used the raw throw

JohnJ80

Enlightened

is there any way to have this thing work in a dual brightness mode - I thought someone had a switch that did that.

I'd like my KL1 but it would be 10X better if it had a dim setting too.

J.

Hans

Enlightened

JohnJ80 said:
is there any way to have this thing work in a dual brightness mode - I thought someone had a switch that did that.

I'd like my KL1 but it would be 10X better if it had a dim setting too.

Aleph 2-Stage Tailcap. Try the Sandwich Shoppe. I've got one, and it's great.

Hans

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with you'all. I love the beam of the KL1, it is a good compromise between throw and a decent sized hotspot. Its not a needle point that some make it out to be...I just wish mine weren't so green, it's not so bad that it's unusable but just annoying enough to notice....

Luxman

Enlightened

I also love my KL1 Gen 4. I use on my e2e ...surprisingly good throw. I found my x200 out throws it!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Luxman said:
I also love my KL1 Gen 4. I use on my e2e ...surprisingly good throw. I found my x200 out throws it!

yay... i agree with you all.... the KL1 head is great! just got it and put it on a E1e body or a E2L body and both work great... i like being able to pick between sizes... output between the two isn't noticable at all....

you guys are right though... the throw on it is crazy for its size... i was shining into ally's easy and illuminated the whole thing up... while my SF L2 would put more overalll light out... the KL1 head just seemed to put more light where i wanted it...

i'm considering ordering a F04 for my KL1 head... can you guys who run this setup explain more of what the diffusion head does to the tight beam of the KL1 head? Does the F04 limited your KL1 head to just a close range illiumination tool? close range i mean within 1meter? or does it spread it out enough to decent outdoor walking illumination? i'll get the F04 anyways I just thought I'd ask what your observations were...

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll chime in here. I think the KL1 head has a very useful beam (oversized spot), is value priced, and very underrated. I grab my E2L or E1L all the time for "around the yard" chores that require moderate throw and broader-than-a-pinpoint illumination.

JohnJ80

Enlightened

Hans said:
Aleph 2-Stage Tailcap. Try the Sandwich Shoppe. I've got one, and it's great.

Hans
which resistor value do you recommend for a 2x123 config? Exactly how does this work - higher resistor is brighter or dimmer?

J.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast

JohnJ80 said:
which resistor value do you recommend for a 2x123 config? Exactly how does this work - higher resistor is brighter or dimmer?

J.

Selecting the resistor value is not easy to describe and is really a preference item.

I use a 22 ohm on my L4 and I feel it gives a nice lower but usable setting. I think 15 or 22 ohms is a good value to try.

Nice thing is, you can get another resistor board and swap it in the switch if you want.

Higher value resistor = lower output.
Lower value resistor = higher output.

Only the low level is affected by the resistor.

Mark

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok what about KL-1 stories?

I have a couple of these new generation KL-1 heads. They run great on a single cell body or 2 cell bodies. The KL-1 puts out an interesting square beal that has an amazing amount of throw for such a small little head.
My story is the other day I had a McluxIII pd around my neck a KL-1 in one pocket and a KL-4 in the other. we were working in a home which was tented to provide total darkness. they add smoke to the air for atmosphere. So part of my job is to keep cables (sound) clear of obsturctions and a safe working environment. urs out that out of the three lights I had on me the KL-1 on a vital gear body was the best choice for the job, I had a bunch of cable to look after 500+ feet The tight beam allows me to chase and follow my own cable all through the house. the pd has too much side spill. the kl-4 was just too wide and bright but the KL-1 provided the perfect hotspot to follow my cables. I will use this light for this porpoise from now on. I will still use the PD for work which requires a some what wider beam and wider coverage.
the KL-4 is a great light for wrapping up the equipment in the dark. the wide beam also lets me check quickly for cables at the end of the night.
It is amazing what my different needs are in a particular day of work,
Yaesumofo

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ok what about KL-1 stories?

yaesumofo said:
I have a couple of these new generation KL-1 heads. They run great on a single cell body or 2 cell bodies. The KL-1 puts out an interesting square beal that has an amazing amount of throw for such a small little head.
My story is the other day I had a McluxIII pd around my neck a KL-1 in one pocket and a KL-4 in the other. we were working in a home which was tented to provide total darkness. they add smoke to the air for atmosphere. So part of my job is to keep cables (sound) clear of obsturctions and a safe working environment. urs out that out of the three lights I had on me the KL-1 on a vital gear body was the best choice for the job, I had a bunch of cable to look after 500+ feet The tight beam allows me to chase and follow my own cable all through the house. the pd has too much side spill. the kl-4 was just too wide and bright but the KL-1 provided the perfect hotspot to follow my cables. I will use this light for this porpoise from now on. I will still use the PD for work which requires a some what wider beam and wider coverage.
the KL-4 is a great light for wrapping up the equipment in the dark. the wide beam also lets me check quickly for cables at the end of the night.
It is amazing what my different needs are in a particular day of work,
Yaesumofo

woot... thanks for the post Yaesumofo... I agree... I run a KL1 head currently on my EDC and I couldn't like it more... You are correct there are certainly a lot of jobs that the KL1 does the best... I personally find that most, if not all my tasks needing a EDC flashlight can be solved by the KL1 head with or without the diffusion filter (F04)...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I show the KL4 and KL1 to people, they all say the KL1 is brighter because of the tighter beam. :)

Cypher

Enlightened

This weekend I was on fishing trip with some of my friends in upstate NY. We were after some big browns that run the tributaries to Lake Ontario following the salmon. The streams get tremendous fishing pressure compared to what I am used to and we had to get there early to get a spot on the good hole.

So we found ourselves standing in the water 2 hours before sunrise when we could start fishing. About 5 a.m. the crowds start showing up and as they walk down to the stream they are shining their lights around to see which spots are occupied. I had been using my Yukon HL to get to the water and get my gear together but I had my E2e with KL1 in my pocket.

So as these fishermen were walking down I thought that their lights didn't look TOO bad in the complete darkness. I could see their beams flashing across people upstream from where I was. I wondered to myself how my KL1 would compare being further downstream from everyone else.

I pulled it out and turned it on and I could see every person in the stream for probably 80 yards and maybe further but my vision was obscured around a bend. It was awesome. I've used it quite a bit but I was still quite impressed. In complete darkness the tight beam still does light up a good area around you. It's just not noticeable in the partially lit places we probably use our lights in more often.

I turned it off pretty quickly so I didn't bother anyone. I should have compared it to the 6P on my belt but I was a little preoccupied with the prospect of catching some big fish when the sun came up.

Daegan

mccavazos

Enlightened
couple of quick questions

Does the newest Gen KL1 have a TIR optic?

and we have to make up our Christmas lists before thanksgiving, what dealer can I put on my list that would have the latest gen KL1?

thanks,

Chris