What happened to the US? Napalm / Torture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or is there something wrong?

CNN report - where the CIA complains that CIA prisons in other countries (to allow torturne/rendition not allowed in this country) were leaked to the press. HELLOO this means they confirmed that torture/rendtions and secret prisons happen. I don't know about you, but I think Torture is wrong. Their complaint basically proves that this has been going on on a systematic level :rant::rant::rant::rant:

Then I am reading that the US used Napalm in Irak (chemical warfare). Of course US media don't mention anything.

Torture/Renditions and Napalm burned people, that's simply just WRONG. Am I the only one who thinks like that or what do you guys think.

Don't get me wrong I have a tremendous respect for everyone serving in the armed forces!!! But torture can backfire big time, and Napalm is simply just wrong. But maybe that's just me.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The attidues of our government towards the human rights angles have been getting more and more questionable. Both abroad and at home--quite troubling. All the things that folks on boards like this were worried about happening during the last administration are coming to pass. And no one seems to care any more.

As far as the second thing, WP and napalm aren't "chemical weapons" in the usual sense of the phrase. Standard incendiary ordnance for most militaries since WW2. However, I do question using them in a situation like this. Hard for me to justify outside of a full-scale military engagement. By that I mean a massive pitched battle, not the asymetric warfare going on in Iraq.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the reports carefully! The only mentioning regarding torture is from critics of the US policy and government. The original report leaked to the Washington Post speaks only of prisons at undisclosed locations in Eastern Europe and other countries. There are reasons for this; the prisoners might have information about plans and members of terrorist cells, so the CIA keeps everything secret. If, for instance, the identity of prisoners is leaked, for instance by a public investigation, other members of the cell are alerted and change their plans. Nothing in the story is proof of torture by the CIA.

Same with the phosphorus/napalm story. No physical evidence that US troops have used napalm or phosphorus, just observations by witnesses, which might be trustworthy or not (they're not named, so we cannot check), on photographs, which are not shown and whose history is unknown. Besides, the USA never signed the ban on those weapons, so there's no illegal use here.

Just to be sure: I do not say that the US did everything right. I'm just saying that those stories don't contain a shred of proof of US wrongdoing. It's just more fuel for anti-US conspiracy nuts.

Besides, after seeing the last seasons of "24" I do not believe that actions that could be called torture are always bad. They make a compelling case of fictional situations where such actions might be required. Only extremists deal in absolutes (such as "Torture is always wrong").

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.