Looking for the furthest throwing 'EDC'able LED light

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the furthest throwing LED light that I can EDC. I've narrowed it down (although open to suggestions) to a choice between the Pelican M6 2390 or a Surefire KL3 head on a 6P body. I think I'm edging towards the KL3 as QB's review has it throwing slightly further PLUS much longer run time than the Pelican. Not too worried about sidespill as it will be used 95% of the time for spotting things at a distance when out walking. I have other lights to light my path.

Any comments?

Alan

X33

Enlightened
What about an Aleph3 head? Probably a bit bigger than a KL3 (haven't got a KL3 to compare) but also fits on L4 SF bodies and is my furthest throwing light. A bit expensive, but awesome throw for its size.

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
X33 said:
What about an Aleph3 head?

Thanks X33. I know nothing about the Aleph3. Is there a review of it or beamshot anywhere? How does it compare to KL3 interms of throw and runtime?

EDIT: Aha! Just found beamshots. Pretty impressive but think the head might be a bit too wide for my liking

Last edited:

X33

Enlightened
You can read up on the Aleph system in the McGizmo forum stickies. Basically you mix and match the components to your needs. Different size reflectors, flashlight bodies and switches. Most importantly you can choose what LightEngine with what LED and drive current you want for your needs. The Aleph 3 reflector is the biggest of the three available sizes and has the best throw. I would recommend a DB 917 or similar running on 2 123cells. Other please chime in here as I'm hardly the expert! Not sure on run time on that. I think about an hour, but stand to be corrected. Also with a McE2s tailswitch you can add a second lower light level by choosing your resistor in the tailswitch.
The Sandwich Shoppe and also lighthound.com sell Aleph stuff. They also always pop up on the mod/ custom BST.
Maybe someone else can help better.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a KL3 gen 2 but don't have anything else 'throwy' to compare other than a big, cheapo type spotlight that obviously outthrows the KL3 due to a huge reflector.

The KL3 is a great thrower for its size, but don't expect like a 100m or something. According to flashlightreviews, it goes about 50m, and I would say that's about right. Usable light is prob a few metres less than that?

Maybe you can consider the Arcmania Super Flashlight III, looks light it'll throw AND flood. I'm so tempted to get one myself, but it's really exp. I prob could go for an M4 or M6.

Link to review : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89598&highlight=arcmania

(Just look at the beamshot!)

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
Maybe you can consider the Arcmania Super Flashlight III
Lighthound has these for sale. I have to say I was tempted to raid paypal when I saw them BUT after spending so much recently on other lights I really can't justify that amount :mecry:

SO Pelican M6 or KL3............decisions, decisions

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlanP said:
Lighthound has these for sale. I have to say I was tempted to raid paypal when I saw them BUT after spending so much recently on other lights I really can't justify that amount :mecry:

SO Pelican M6 or KL3............decisions, decisions

The almost 4 hr KL3 runtime should make it a winner. And since its designed to be used on a 9p (9 volts) as well, it can take rechargeables.

I just ordered some 3.6v R123as and will be using it with my KL3/Z2. Runtime might lose out a little to CR123as, but I'm guessing it'll still put out at least 2-3 hours.

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
lagarto308 said:
at FLreviews, ledbeam is one of the better about throw, and it is cheap.
I looked at the Ledbeam but it's too big for what I want it for. Besides taking it on walks I'll also be carrying it round on daily basis in my 'case.

Cheers anyway for the suggestion

Mark2

Enlightened
I'd definitely go for the Aleph-III. It's a bit wider but not nearly as heavy as the KL3, and it's still the best thrower among the compact LED lights. Furthermore, it has a perfect beam with usable sidespill while the KL3 is "tunnel vision with fancy rings". This is a case where the more expensive solution is superior. :)

taiji

Enlightened
the LedXtreme Predator is a very good throwing light and small enough to fit nicely in a pocket. a little heavy and no longer in production but worth it if you can find one.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Inova T2? (Or T3). These lights are definite throwers with minimal flood.

T2 gives over 5 hours of regulated runtime. T3 about 2 hours with greater output and throw.

T2 is excellent EDC size, T3 a little longer with wider head. Both very tough and available at a good price.

Mark