New From Streamlight: SL-20X-LED

WDR65

Enlightened
I saw this on Streamlight's site yesterday. Its metal hence the X designation instead of XP for the polymer one that's been out for several years.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah. But it appears to still be using the Sub-C cells of the poly led version, instead of the 1/2Ds of the SL-20X.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What next then, a Streamlight SL-35X-LED?

And then guys will be modding their SL-20X-LED with the SL-35X-LED lamp assembly for a brighter light in a small package with shorter run time.

Oh, wait a minute, I will stop now.

NextLight

Enlightened
I 've been eying the SL20XP-LED as a good lower light level companion to my Ultrastinger. (like my UltraS is lonely...)They use the same battery, so I would buy the SL20XP-LED without charger (the cradle is differrent) and just swap with my Ultrastinger for charging in the car or home.

WDR65

Enlightened
Re: SL-20X-LED

I saw one of these at my local dealer the other day. I like the metal version a lot better than the SL-20XP-LED, its seems sleeker than the polymer version and more comfortable to me in my hand.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight: SL-20X-LED listing on Galls.com

I was looking at this a few minutes ago
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FL538&cat=2831
and I was wondering which particular charger they are referring to when they mention that this works with both the OLD and the NEW chargers. Would this mean the old SL-20 (not "X") and SL-20X chargers? Also, the features that they mention regarding the light turning off when placed in the charger and also the feature of coming on during a power outage, is that likely to be a function of how the light is built, or how the charger is built, or both?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Streamlight webpage http://www.streamlight.com/pdf/SL20x_xp_led_OP.pdf it documents the Power Failure Feature and if power is disconnected while either the halogen lamp and/or LEDs are on the light will come on. It looks as if this feature was already implemented on the earlier SL-20XP-LED. The more that I read about this the more that I suspect that the OLD vs NEW charger is the implementation of this Power Failure Feature, thus I could charge the new SL-20X-LED in my old SL-20X charger, but it will simply not have the Power Failure Feature.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suspect that is probably more accurate. The Pre-86 SL 20 charger is much different than the SL20X charger and the two are not interchangeable.

JAS said:
From the Streamlight webpage http://www.streamlight.com/pdf/SL20x_xp_led_OP.pdf it documents the Power Failure Feature and if power is disconnected while either the halogen lamp and/or LEDs are on the light will come on. It looks as if this feature was already implemented on the earlier SL-20XP-LED. The more that I read about this the more that I suspect that the OLD vs NEW charger is the implementation of this Power Failure Feature, thus I could charge the new SL-20X-LED in my old SL-20X charger, but it will simply not have the Power Failure Feature.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Digital Flasher/Dimmer Tailcap

I was also reading about the Streamlight Digital Flasher/Dimmer Tailcap, but I suspect that this is NOT compatible with the Streamlight SL-35X-LED.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL-35X has been discontinued, so there's no such thing as a 35X/LED.

The new charger cradles are a funny tan color, and have a small LED in the lower front corner. They are compatable with all "X" series SL's.

The 20X/LED uses a hard rubber spacer that suspends the sub-c size battery stick. The stick has both terminals on the positive end, and is rated at 24000MAH. The dimmer cap is NOT compatable. It's an unknown if the 20X series of lights is going to be converted to the sub-c battery stick. I think it will, as the 1/2D size Nicd is becoming difficult to find.

Overall, it's a great, full size light.

--dan

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,

Thank you very much for the post. Do you know if this light could be modified to take a brighter bulb?