Newbie Here! Crash Course Needed!!

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I have been bitten by the CPF bug.:ohgeez:

However, I feel I need a crash course in lights. What technical jargon should I know? What lights and light related products do I ablsolutely need to have? I crave the knowledge so LAY IT ON ME!!:grin2:

-Paul

greenLED

Flashaholic
Have you visited theledmuseum.org, and/or flashlightreviews.com? There's a page with acronyms on The LED Museum, and reading all the reviews at both sites should bring you up to speed. Also, try the CPF Wiki link near the top of the CPF window.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Im at flashlight reviews all the time. I understand words like lumen, lux, throW, overall output and a few other basics, but when I read some of the posts of you godfathers, I have know idea what the hell you are talking about. I'll check the other links you mentioned though. Acronyms will certainly help alot. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
MAN THAT WAS HELPFUL!!! ledmuseum makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What a wonderful place.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a way to narrow down what someone ACTUALLY wants when they start asking you "what's the best light for ____fill in the blank_____.

Sort of a work in progress but I've found it handy a few times already.

If you know what light(s) to recommend for all of the categories you are probably a complete flashaholic :whistle:

Oh, and welcome to the CPF, and in case someone else hasn't said it already... "Hang on to your wallet!"

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. CPF seems to be full of helpful people.:)

Im doing my best to hang onto my wallet since I joined. My only purchace thus far was a fenix premium. A good buy from what I could gather.

But since you are a flashlaholic Im going to answer all these q's and see what you have to say for my next light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guilty as charged! I tend to try and find the less expensive solutions with the exception of my Surefire L2 and my freshly purchased Gladius. My Cameras and lenses seem to eat up all of my $$$

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
0) Doesnt matter where I order from.
1) Lets try to keep it under $120 (If impossible... then I'll bend over)
2) Flashlight style
3) Holster length
4) Width is negotiable
5) Batteries dont matter, but recharge would be cool.
6) Dont want anything less than 70 lumens (EMT here)
7) Some flood is essential, but I want killer throw.
8) >2hrs is not necessary
9) Durability is critial
10) Clicks are better than twist for me, location of clicker depends on size
11) If the composite is hearty like lumaray then it's ok. otherwise, metal
12) I should be able to carry this on my belt somehow.
Submergable with no problems
Corrosion resistant
Non sparking IS

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I was already planning on buying a T3. If I find a good enough deal on a T4, I might just pick one up.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Battry station has the best price online that I could find. So good in fact that Im gonna pick it up.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Im sure I will be happy. What about other "must have" lights? Im sure theres several out there that people think of that perhaps I should investigate.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
A great light that every one seams to like is the Streamlight propolymer 4AA luxeon. It's going for around $23 from fox. I think that the link is in the dealer section. Or the review on flashlightreviews.com

wallyrulz

Enlightened
The only jargon you need is ...

Run away, far far away

or

Hide your wallet!

If you can't get those, you'll learn faster than you think.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Im trying diligently not to run myself broke. Soon, I'll be able to write a great deal of my lights off though. :naughty: