Newbie question: Arc AAA and Peak Carribean - similiar class?

kingfish

Newly Enlightened
Seems to be a big diff in performance and price.....

Looking for a smallish pocket torch that throws out some good light for less than $100.

These two lights even in the same class? - or is the Arc just a little key chain light and the Peak more of a EDC user?

Looking at the Longbow Micra also.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA and Peak MATTERHORN is in the same class. 1AAA battery,5mm LEDs.
The Peak Carribeanis an order of magnitude up. 3V lithium battery. Luxeon LED.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
While these two lights are in the same high class in terms of quality in general (both could be considered close to "best of class" lights), you are correct in assuming that they are not in the same class. The Arc isn't "just a little key chail light"- it could compete with a minimag several times its size- but it does use only a single 5mm LED, and even though that LED is the lastest, brightest version, which in turn is overdriven, it could never compete with a fully driven Luxeon LED (over 10 times brighter). Really, it depends on your needs- the Peak is very compact for a light that will outshine a 4D Mag, but it still would be too big for your keychain- the Arc you would always have with you. Of course, the best light is the one you have when you need it.

If you are comfortable with a slightly larger light, and would be willing to up your funds by $20, I'd also encourage you to look at the HDS EDC Basic 42. This light is more of a "jack of all trades" since it has a nicely balanced primary brightness level, but can dim to two lower levels or one much higher level as needed.

Also, for about the same price as the Arc (around $45 shipped) you could get the Fenix L1P which offers excellent quality for the price (probably a better value than any of the lights mentioned thus far). It won't be as bright as the CR123 lights, but it will still blow away the Arc and has the bonus of using almost any kind of AA battery.

Welcome to CPF! The motto here is "buy them both" so hold on to your wallet!

kingfish

Newly Enlightened
Ok, have a Fenix L1p on the way from a place called lighthound found on ebay.

Greg

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to tell you about that light, but it seems like you beat me to it. There has been a lot of hype about it and I am looking into getting one myself, but from what I hear, it's a really good light for the price.

Greg

By the way, let us know what you think when you get it.

kingfish

Newly Enlightened
Got the Fenix L1P - thanks for the suggestion.

Really nice torch, had no idea you could get that much throw out of a little light.