Wanted: compact AA power

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Could anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably bright (60 lumens +/-) Incan light that can be powered by rechargable AAs?

It also needs to be the approximate length of a 9P.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure about the Surge? Over 60 lumens, yes, but I'd think quite a few lumens shy of its rated 200 lumens (correct?) when running on 1.2V cells vs. 1.5.

A Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon might give the most satisfying results using all-NiMH cells.

If you prefer incandescents and willing to bend on the rechargeables issue, I suggest a compromise:

• A Surge with 6 NiMH AA cells and two 1.8V lithium AAs.
  • A Bright Star 4AA Responder with 3 NiMH AAs and 1 lithium AA.
  • A Streamlight Propolymer 4AA xenon with 3 NiMH AAs and 1 lithium AA.
The lithiums will keep your voltage at the intended level, while the nickel metal-hydride AAs will let you run the light at a 75% savings in cost per hour.

You can see many incandescent AA bodies reviewed in Flashlight Reviews.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Over 60 lumens was all that was asked for. With alkalines I'd guess it about 110 lumens.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a Princeton Tec 40 light for about 3 years. I use rechargables. Its very bright for its size and cost and waterproof down deeper than you will ever go, and if you experiment with Mag Star bulbs you can make it even brighter. I used a 3 cell Mag star bulb for a while and it was exceptionally bright, but the bulb died after about 30 or 40 hours. I am now running a 4 cell Mag star bulb in it and the rechargables last about 6-8 hours of runtime and the bulb has no problem handling the batteries. Its as waterproof as any light, and with its twist on head, very reliable for cheap. I'm not sure about the lumens, but it has been with me SCUBA diving, caving and in many dark places. I even have a red lens cap for it for special night ops.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the sugestions.

So far the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA xenon is looking the best to me.

I should probably add that a standard tube form factor would be nice as opposed to the oblong style, but I suppose that the way its gotta be for a 4AA light.

I'm all ears if anyone has some different ideas.

lexina

Enlightened
I will give another vote to the PT Tec40. Unlike the Streamlight Propolymer, the Tec40 uses commmonly available and cheap PR bulbs allowing experimentation. I have got good results running a Mag Whitestar 3-cell bulb on NiMh rechargeables.