San Francisco Passes Handgun Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Hard to believe, but apparently the anti-handgun bill was passed in San Francisco. All the legal handgun owners will have to get rid of their weapons by next April. There are a few exceptions for law enforcement, security guards, etc. Expect an increase in handgun crimes next year when only the criminals will still have their guns.

"Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

With 100 percent of San Francisco precincts reporting on Wednesday, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.

Measure H prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and make it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses."

http://www.ktvu.com/politics/5281949/detail.html

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
what do you expect from sanfransissysco anyway?
the sooner californica breaks from the shelf and sinks the better for the rest of us.

Malpaso

Enlightened
Obviously, they did a lot of research on how well that has worked in NYC and DC. Shouldn't be long before the robbers, muggers and thieves start moving in for easy pickings.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
almsot makes ya wanna ask what country san fran is.im not a gun fan but i belive people should be able to own one.scary place san fran is

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be interesting to see what happens when "the big one" occurs and the bad guys come to visit.

Remember New Orleans!

cslinger

Enlightened
Lord, you would think these people were walking outside having to dodge bullets on the way to work everyday. Violent crime is down nationwide, gun ownership is up. I am not saying that either is connected with the other only that we certainly cannot say gun ownership causes violent crime.

I really have to believe some people have psychological issues when it comes to firearms. If these folks spent half the time and money addressing the real issues of violence in society then maybe they might make a difference. Instead they continue to try to screw over the law abiding folks who, very likely would be the ones pulling their bacon out of the fire should the big one hit.

Makes me sad really. As far as I know though, this law actually goes against the Calif. constitution so hopefully it will be shot down.

In other news Shotgun and rifle sales skyrocket around San Francisco. :D

Chris

TorchMan

Enlightened
They never learn. And not even a grandfather clause allowing those that already own to keep them? Never mind letting the individual choose to own one or not. I wonder how they are planning to enforce this? And of course all criminals will comply. Kalifornia politics...

That's why I tell those that say "It can never happen here" that, oh yes, it can!

Edit. Wow, they also went after military recruiters being in high schools and colleges? How liberal is it to try to deny young people the right to choose if they enlist in the armed forces or not, and to let recruiters speak? Oh, the hypocrisy!
What's next, saying that recruiters are committing "hate crimes" by giving out the info? Free speech doesn't mean a thing to them when it's not the free speech they want being spoken.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
IlluminatingBikr said:
If this works its way to the Supreme Court then the ban might be a blessing in disguise, assuming of course that the court rules the right to keep and bear arms applies to individuals. Should be interesting because NYC's gun control laws would be unconstitutional under that scenario.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Can't really comment on the gun issue except to say that's....amazing.

As far as military recruiters, I don't really like them calling me, but they never bothered me at school. This means that now they'll have to rely a lot more on telephone recruiting. Dunno how it is in California but they were pretty low key when they recruited at the school here. There was always plenty of interest, but it was easy enough to avoid them if you weren't interested.

drizzle

Enlightened
I'm suprised that they weren't already banned there. Handguns have been banned in Chicago at least since 1986 when I moved there.

I would like to see this ruled unconstitutional but I don't give it much hope considering the other cities that have had handgun bans in place for years.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for some of our west coast guys to chime in.

This may not be one we want to take to the supreme court. I believe the strategy of the NRA and other organizations is to wait for the slam dunk case we can win. If we take a weak case there and loose, we'll have established a precedent that will hurt us forever. This is more of a state authority vs city authority deal, with the little guy caught in the middle.

Malpaso

Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
This may not be one we want to take to the supreme court. I believe the strategy of the NRA and other organizations is to wait for the slam dunk case we can win.

And, wait for Alito to get on the Court.

Empath

Flashaholic
While this is newsworthy, and deserving of discussion, there's no way we can keep it civil. Already, the people of San Francisco has been labeled "sissy", and remarks that California should suffer destruction by earthquakes. That's not the way of CPF. The topic will be welcome in the Underground. Here, on CPF, the topic is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.