smallest & brightest & toughest 4aa/aaa

artar

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

need some suggestions on the smallest, brightest and toughest 4aa/aaa light available.
I think it is the UKE 4AA/Q40 (14cm x 3,75cm and 2,1 Watt Xenon).
What do you think?

merry christmas!

Spork

Enlightened
well the only 4aa light I have is the tec40. its very tough and I would say comparable to a 3 cell mag light as far as brightness. it uses pr bulbs so replacement bulbs are common and quite cheap. you can get a xenon replacement lamp from radio shack and make it brighter for only 1.99. with nimh cells and pr bulbs i think this is the most economical bright light you can get. i think tts sells the princeton tec lights now. you may also want to look into the rage light if you want something smaller.

artar

Enlightened
mrchri5, you are right. The use of pr base lamp is a big advantage. And the lamp body itself is not much bigger than that from the UKE.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 4AA, I would recommend Tec 40 due to its PR bulb configuration as other members mentioned. If you really want to make it brighter, use rechargeable and 3-cell Maglite WhiteStar (Krypton) or KPR103 (3.6v/0.75A). It's very bright and white. The whiteness is due to being overdriven although it's Krypton.

I found that Krypton is more reliable than Xenon bulb when being overdriven. With Krypton bulb + rechargables, it might be the lowest usage cost and brightest AA light you could get.

For AAA, I would recommend Rage (no, it's PR based) but it's small, bright, waterproof and pretty tough.

Alan

artar

Enlightened
Alan, is the Tec40 much bigger than UKE 4AA, so that you think its too big to carry in a jacket pocket?
And does the Rage use also a PR Bulb?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

KPR-103 (3.6v at 0.75A) = Krypton

XPR-113 (4.8v at 800mA) = Xenon

HMP-20 (4.8v at 0.5A) = Halogen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) How many mA in an AMP? Or vice versa?

2) How many volts does each AA battery put out?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
TheTec 40 beam is excellent, SureFire-like, roughly 20" diameter at 12' (approximate figures). I have not yet tried any bulb upgrades.

I compared this light to the Streamlite ProPolymer 4AA, the UK 4AA, the UK 2L (because it uses the same bezel/lamp assembly as the 4AA,) and the the Stealthlite 4AA.

The Tec 40 (faceted) has by far the most perfect beam of all these lights.

The Streamlight 4AA had a tiny center spot and a wide, fairly dim peripherial corona.

The Uk 4AA and 2L have essentially the same beam as each other. These vary from poor to good; basically the luck of the draw.

The Stealthlite 4AA has a fairly consistant beam, but very small diameter hotspot. decent beam.

General comments:

Tec 40: Disappointing run time, after about 2 hours dimmer than the Uk's. Also rather "slippery" to hold.(NOTE: I used Duracell Regular, not Ultras, dated 2008 in the Tec 40 and Ray-O-Vac Maximums dated 2005 in the UK 4AA. Perhaps that was a runtimefactor)

Streamlight: I didn't care for either the beam or the ergonomics of this light. I love tac-style lights as much as the next flashaholic, but let's not kid ourselves; The tac-type lights evolved as an ideal illumination tool for use with a handgun; hence the tailbutton and the extreme brightness/size ratio. For trekking, walking, etc. the most practical light has a barrel switch.(ie the Surge, the Stealthlite, etc). This light now resides in my drawer.

UK 4AA Excellent ergonomics, feels"unslippable" in the hand; has decent beam if you're lucky enough to get a good lamp assembly, excellent 3hr+runtime. Also, with a well silicone-greased bezel can be very comfortably operated with one hand.

UK 2L Tiny (4.30" x 1")same beam and one hand operation as 4AA. Slightly less runtime, but still a solid 3 hours.

Stealthlite 4AA Good ergonomics, handy barrel switch, but too big for a 4AA, and an impractically narrow beam for average use.

** 2ND TEST ** 12/24/01

After first evaluating the Tec-40 compared to other 4AA lights (see Tec 40 thread)and concluding that it was an excellent light with a disappointing runtime, I decided to test it again to confirm my results.

In that thread evaluating 4AA lights I stated that my favorite small general purpose light (which includes walking, trekking, and everything else) was the UK 2-L. I included it even though it was a 2x123a because it takes the same lamp/bezel as the UK 4AA, and thus has the identical beam.

I just finished testing the Tec 40 and the UK 2L. The UK had fresh Surefires and the Tec 40 had fresh Duracells (not Ultras) dated 2008.

Initially, the Tec 40's beam was whiter, brighter and generally superior because of its faceted reflector. I left them in a bedroom while I tended to my holiday guests.

One hour later I checked on them. The UK was now as bright as the Tec 40, though the Tec 40's beam was still superior.

I checked back after a total of two hours and twenty minutes. I was surprised to see that the Tec 40 had gone out, while the UK was blazing merrily away, still pretty white. I immediately tried another lamp assembly for the Tec 40 and got a brief dull yellowish glow, then nothing. Those batteries were dead. Then I checked the PTec's bulb with fresh batteries: bright white light.

After total runtime of three hours and fifteen minutes, the 2L was quite dim and yellow, though still bright enough to light your way on a sidewalk.

There is simply no escaping the facts. The Princeton Tec 40, despite its many excellent attributes has one glaring fault; a surprisingly short burn time. If I had used Ultras the burn time would have been longer, but probably not longer than the very highly rated Ray-O-Vac Maximums I intend to use in my third (and hopefully final) test.

It appears that the Tec 40 is essentially a two-hour light, and the 2L is a three-hour light. That is one heck of a difference. There are brighter bulbs available for the Tec 40, which will probably further
compromise run time. On the other hand, if beam excellence and brightness are more important to you than burntime, this is probably the light to get.

The 2L's weak point is its beam quality, and since some lamp/assemblies are good and some not so good, getting a superior one is really a matter of luck. (Although lately the beams have seemed more consistant). I have dealt with this in a way that some flashaholics might consider exhorbitant. If my favorite local dealer is in a good mood, he will carefully open several new UK light packs and let me select the best ones. (I give him a lot of business). If he's not in a good mood I just buy several and usually get one or two good ones. (the rest go to friends and into my UK 4As) This way,my 2Ls have beams that are generally very good, though still not as perfect as those from a faceted reflector.

I own and have tested most of the 4AA lights mentioned in CPF, and my preference for a very small general purpose light continues to be the 2L because of its tiny size and 2.2oz weight, its easy operation with one hand (yes, if properly siliconed it works well), its decent if not spectacular brightness, and its excellent run time. Not to mention the fact that it is extremely rugged and completely waterproof.

I EDC (belt holsters) several lights, (including a "superbright" like the ASP Taclite), each with its own purpose. With the understanding that with current technology, any light is a compromise, I find that the 2L fills a special niche more successfully than any other light I have owned, seen or read about.

I realize that this is probably a minority opinion, but choice of lights is determined by each Flashaholic's personal needs and requirements. I acknowledge the excellence of many other lights, but for my use, at this point the 2L fills the bill.

*** REVISED TEC40 RUN TIME *** REVISED TEC 40 RUN TIME ***

See thread Tec 40 Vs UK 2L for results of retesting Tec40 with different batteries.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
I believe its xpr113. It will say for 4 cell lights on the package. I dont remember how much brighter it is since I've hardly used the bulb that came with my tec40. i found this information by searching about the light.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrchri5:
[QB]you can get a xenon replacement lamp from radio shack and make it brighter for only 1.99. QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mrchri5

Can you please tell me which Radio Shack bulb to get?

Thanks

Brightnorm

Spork

Enlightened
I believe its xpr113. It will say for 4 cell lights on the package. I dont remember how much brighter it is since I've hardly used the bulb that came with my tec40. i found this information by searching about the light.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artar:
Alan, is the Tec40 much bigger than UKE 4AA, so that you think its too big to carry in a jacket pocket?
And does the Rage use also a PR Bulb?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Artar, I don't have UK4AA around but as far as I remember, they're more or less the same size if Tec40 is not shorter. Tec40 could be carried in jacket pocket comfortably.

Rage doesn't use PR bulb.

Alan

Tesla

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artar:
Hi everyone,

need some suggestions on the smallest, brightest and toughest 4aa/aaa light available.
I think it is the UKE 4AA/Q40 (14cm x 3,75cm and 2,1 Watt Xenon).
What do you think?
Smallest...UKE 4AA. Brightest...Stealthlite (due to the REALLY TIGHT beam). Toughest...Streamlight 4AA. Ya pays your money & ya takes your chances. Tec 40 is good compromise if the PR base bulb trips your trigger. I've noticed that beam quality is usually better with the bi-pin type bulbs, but you can always lay hands on a PR type bulb at any Walmart in a pinch...not so with bi-pin bulbs

merry christmas!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>