Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys... 8 days! (not quite, but close enough)
Until the release of the most expensive movie made to date. It is supposed to be the most looked-forward to movie of the year.

So... what are your opinions on this movie?

-tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
They've ruined my mental image of the Magical World (that is, the mental construct I came up with while reading the books - they're mostly gone as soon as I see the movies). Good stuff, we all love'em at home (books more so than movies).

TorchMan

Enlightened
I've never read the books. I understand the above comments though about it ruining what was conjured in the mind. That's why a movie is rarely better than the book, if the book was first.

I watched the last half of Prisoner of Azkaban, or something last night. I've got the recorder scheduled to get it on Tuesaday. Yeah, I know how it ends now, but no biggie. Probably going to like it better than the the second movie, about as much as the first.

The first two were okay, better than I thought. I won't be going to the theater, but from what I've read the books are evolving as are the movies. I think it's done well enough that adults (of course I'm not really an adult yet in my mind's eye) can watch them as well. Not on par with Lord Of The Rings mind you, but apples and oranges...

Goblet Of Fire is supposed to be the best one yet. In a year or so I'll know the answer!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy both books and movies. And instead of always quoting the tired old saw of "the book was better"... The movie sometimes surpassed the book by breathing life into the details of things that couldn't be related in the text. I think because the movies are so "by the book", they are actually a good pairing.

Deanster

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the books, and the movies are a mixed bag - I prefer the rich narrative of the books, but the visual detail and richness of the movies is amazing, and nearly unique in that it rarely conflicts with my 'minds-eye' vision, and instead adds to it.

Goblet of Fire is by far my favorite of the six books, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit how much I'm looking forward to the movie.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, as far as the movie / book thing go, alot of details have to left out in order to fit the time alloted. The movies are OK, the biggest dissapointment I found with the movies were the score. Two scenes come to mind, One was in the first movie near the end after Harry defeted Voldemorts(sp?) host, and the other was in Prisoner of Azkaban when the dementors were driven away at the lake. I think the music and sound effects could have been better. My other comment is that I think the movies could have been a whole lot better if they were all CGI. They would have been able to give it an allover magical feeling, rather some of the scenes and transitions between live and CGI look really cheezy (to me anyway). Goblet of fire has a LARGE bill to fill due to large amout of information. ie class time, subplots, and all the compitions, not to mention the battle at the end. I guess we will see.

Jeff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The books are terrific, and for driving in the car there is NOTHING better than the audio books. They are excellent, read by Jim Dale and his accents are so amazing and his reading is so well done it's more like listening to a 30 hour long radio play. And now they are finally available for purchase online, so I dont need to buy the overpriced CD's and rip them all into the computer before putting on the iPod :D

These audiobooks will ruin you for regular ones though :)

The movies are highly entertaining, but they are necessarily abridged versions of the stories. But I think they are getting better. Dont expect a pertinent statement on the nature of humanity just go for a good time! What did you want from a movie anyway?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, YES the audio books are amazing. I have listened to all of them (except for the order of the Pheonix) several times. I spend alot of time in my car. Makes a long drive bareable.

Jeff

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
It's fun watching the actors grow up. Just hope they don't have wife and kids by the last movie.

I miss Richard Harris. I think the series lost something with his death. The replacement guy didn't cut it for me.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turd_Ferguson said:
I miss Richard Harris. I think the series lost something with his death. The replacement guy didn't cut it for me.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. Harris WAS Dumbledore.

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Yup, Richard Harris was definitely one of their best casting choices.

I love both the book and the movies. For me, the visuals in the movie are actually pretty much what I envisioned when I read the books (for the most part). So it's really great seeing everything brought to life on the big screen, love it. And from the trailers, GOF looks to be the most amazing movie in the entire series, really can't wait to see it!!

My friends and I organize a Harry Potter movie viewing on opening night every time a new Harry Potter movie comes out. This year we've got 22 people booked for 1st december (that's when it opens here, not sure about other parts of the world).

Can't wait!!
:)

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Wife, Daughter and granddaughter love the books. I like the books. We usually go to opening day of the film. We also saw Wallace & Gromit. A very good movie.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Looking forward to it. I've only been able to read up til "Chamber of Secrets".

While I do like to equally read and watch, books can certainly hold their own against films IMO. I've read the entire LOTR and while watching them was certainly fun, something invariably always gets lost in translating it to film. They pale in comparison to the richness of images and narrative treatment of the author.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
[edit] Doh!! LMAO... wrong thread!

Harry Potter is about the only type of flix my wife can sit thru so I bought 6 tix for a midnight showing at the iMAX. That's 12am on the 18th. I hear it's a long movie. Starbucks with my popcorn please. :)

Last edited:

wwglen

Enlightened
I didn't like the moving staircases in the movies.

I imaganed that they just went different places at different time. NOT that you could watch them move and figure where they still go.

wwglen.