10mm LED's vs. Superflux LED's

Velcro

Enlightened
I'm regularly trying to modify bicycle taillights and outfit them with brighter LED's, and have been fiddling with 5mm LED's so far. Unfortunately, I haven't really found any red 5mm's that are truly bright. Bright blue ones, yes. But bright red ones, nah. So I was looking around on a German LED vendor site, and saw two interesting LEDs. One is a 10mm and the other a Superflux.

Specs:
LED 10mm red 32.000mcd

Technology: 4 Chip LED
Case: 10mm waterclear
Viewing Angle: 40°
Power: 2,1V
Current: 80mA typ.
Wave Lenght: 630nm (red)
Maximum Intensity / Brightness: 32.000mcd

Superflux red 15.000mcd

This LED contains 3 ultrabright red chips for a powerfull light.
Technical Data:
Case: Superflux waterclear
Lens: 5mm
Material: AIGaInP
Viewing Angle: 100°
Wave Lenght: 630nm (red)
Power: 2,1V
Current: 60mA typ.
Maximum Intensity / Brightness: 15.000mcd

The Superflux draws 20mA less and has a much larger viewing angle, but is 15.000mcd instead of 32.000 (if these ratings are true, of course). Somewhere on this forum a while ago, I read that multi-chip 10mm LED's are more prone to break down? Can anyone eleborate on that (if it's true)? And what would be the best buy for my needs? It seems to me that a 10mm LED with it's two pins is much easier to mount on a board then the Superflux with it's four pins. Any thoughts on that? As you see I'm not familiar with Superflux LED's. Thanks in advance. :)

Velcro

Enlightened
To visualize, if I where to use Superflux it would (or should) look like this (same housing, but this one has a custom board):

bike200.jpg

(pic from http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/bike1.htm)

Last edited:

Weep

Newly Enlightened
Assuming those numbers are correct, the superflux LEDs should put out a whole pile more light than the 10mm quad-chip LEDs. Also, they're smaller, so you can fit more in the same area. So, unless you need to project the light in a directed beam, the superfluxes should be brighter.

I don't know firsthand; this is my understand of the theory at work here.

Carbonium

Newly Enlightened
These are the hidden "L" Bin Superflux. They should give you 12+ lumens each at 70 degrees. They are the brightest you'll find. That is if they are in stock.

Even the "H" bin is rated at 12 lumens max in the data sheet.

Future Part Number: HPWT-DH00-L4000 Call for pricing
http://www.futureestore.com/eStore/Default.aspx
Manufacturer Part Number: HPWT-DH00-L4000
Manufacturer Name: LML
Package Quantity: 60
Package Description: TUBE
Description: SUPERFLUX RD/ORG *6 LUMEN MIN*

In Stock: Call for Availability

I think they are $.46 each in lots of 60.

Velcro

Enlightened
Do you happen to know what the mA draw of these things is? It's not on their site (nor anything about color choices). $27 for 60 of them is rather cheap. I wonder if they ship to The Netherlands.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI - there is a dramatic increase in your eye's ability to "see" 620nm (red / orange) vs 640nm (red), so if you can accept the slight color shift, the change by itself will be substantial.

AW

Newly Enlightened
How about some new 0.5W high power 8mm LED ? Output rating is 15 lumens. Vf is 3.0 - 3.5V, max. current 120mA. Beam is flood type with a very white tint comparable to the 26K 5mm. Please note the bigger metal frame for heat sinking.

PICT0293.jpg

PICT0294.jpg

Velcro

Enlightened
AW said:
How about some new 0.5W high power 8mm LED ? Output rating is 15 lumens. Vf is 3.0 - 3.5V, max. current 120mA. Beam is flood type with a very white tint comparable to the 26K 5mm.

Nice, but I'm looking for red LED's. :)

greenLED said:
have you tried LED's from superbrightleds.com?

No, but it's US based and the specs don't look as interesting as those on www.led1.de .