Digital Multitrack recorder?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Seems these have been talked about here in these halls before, but I can't find it. Additionally it seems the recorders talked about were the smaller .mp3 style or minidisk type...

I've got a "requirement" to obtain an affordable, though reliable multi-track recorder for a fellow that's learning some musical instruments. He likes to lay down his own track with one, then add another and such...

Ok, it's my 16 year old son who is "shocking" his family with his bass guitar talents and through school grades, behavior and such has "earned" this reward. We think it will be a positive thing for him (well Mom & Dad, remember when I wanted to be a [insert doctor, lawyer, nuclear rocket scientist, cure cancer, solve famine, etc...] and became a "rock star wannabe" when you bought me that multi-track recorder)!! :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

Anyway...looking to spend "perhaps" $100 - $250...should we go digital, tape, cdr? I've got no idea what I'm getting into here. I used to have an old Akai reel to reel - I think digital is where it's at now. We saw one that uses SD cards, then you can convert the data to .wav (and then from there .mp3 - whatever in today's world)...is that what we should be looking at?

I'm thinking something fairly basic, perhaps with the ability to use a microphone (or two) with the results one would expect for this price?

HELP?????

Last edited:

Saaby

Flashaholic
Skip the multi-track recorder and put the money towards peripherals for your computer.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't any standalone $250 multitrack units worth using, IMO. Instead, buy a USB audio interface for the computer, then use software to do the multitrack recording. Even an older computer can handle several tracks of audio at CD quality. Then you mix down to stereo, and burn it to CD.

Interfaces start at about $100, and go up to the sky. Typically, they have an input to plug in your guitar or keyboard, and a microphone. The box digitizes the audio, and sends it through the USB to the computer, where your multitrack recording software records each track and lets you manipulate the tracks. Even free software can do the basics.

I don't use these devices myself, as my office has more specific requirements.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If he is a bass player he should play his bass in a bad-*** band and not fumble around with recording equipment. I am a bass player, too, so I should know :D
Well, I was one at least ... :green:

For recording though I'd use a computer program ... much more powerful (and affordable) than a hardware tool. I am using Cubase (an oder version) and there is something like "Cubasis" for beginners that will cover any need he might have for a good price.
www.steinberg.de
... and klick the English version.

There are more programs like this one, but I forgot the names ...

bernie

paulr

Flashaholic
Multitrack usually means 4 channels or more, which starts getting expensive. See http://core-sound.com for some computer interface boards and so forth. Or go over to Guitar Center and see what they have.