I own the following flashlights:

UK 4aa Led, with interchangeable 2 and 4 watt bulb
QIII
U2
HDS EDC B60GT
Peak Shasta 3led
Streamlight 2L Luxeon
And a few others.

Why would I want to buy a Fenix? Would it fill a void I have in my collection?

paulr

Flashaholic
If you have a Q3, I see the Fenix as sort of similar, but the Fenix's finish is nicer and it runs on an AA cell instead of a CR123. I like my Q3 and have a Fenix on order.

goldenlight

Enlightened
It's quite similar to a QIII in output, but runs on 1 AA battery. These are universally available, and cheap.

My QIII has more spill light, and my Fenix has more throw. But both have nice beams, IMHO.

The QIII and the Fenix Premium fit a pretty similar niche, ans far as size and output goes. The QIII is shorter and fatter, and the Fenix is slimmer and a little longer.

I don't think it would fit a niche you don't have covered; but it's a very nice little light, IMHO.

The Fenix 'wins', in my book, by efficiently using the cheaper AA batteries. The fit and finish is superior, as well, I think.

The F1P would have seemed nothing short of a miracle, a few short years ago. Until someone (ie. a commercial manufacturer), other than the modders make something smaller, it's the brightest, smallest single AA flashlight I can think of, and not unreasonably priced.

I didn't need one, but I bought one. :naughty:

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
I didn't need one either but I ended up buying six. :D

Seriously, this is the best AA light I have seen so far in terms of brightness and throw. And the build quality is quite impressive too. I really like the clickie switch and the fact that it stands on end. It has nice feel in the hand too because of the slenderness, kinda reminds me of a cigar.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I "needed" it as I am still new to flashaholism. However, I didn't need the subsequent 6 I bought after my socks were knocked off by the light's product!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freedom1955 said: "....Why would I want to buy a Fenix? Would it fill a void I have in my collection?..."

You have a nice complete collection. As others said, overall the Fenix and Q3 are similar. Therefore good as the Fenix is I wouldn't suggest getting that. Rather get a light not covered by your current collection.

You have a void above the U2, so you might consider a big powerful light like an Elektrolumens Tesla-6, Mag85, etc.

Nice as the HDS is, it's a little large vs the Shasta, Arc AAA, etc.

There are variable output (or 2 stage) lights smaller than the HDS but more powerful than the Shasta. E.g, Fire~Fly3, Orb Son of Raw, and my favorite the upcoming CR2 ION. Unfortunately they're all pretty expensive.

In addition if you don't have a headlamp, consider one if you have the slightest need. They are useful when you need both hands free.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I have a QIII and I just bought the Fenix.....no regrets even though they are similar. Since I don't have a rechargeable R123 solution, I will likely use the Fenix more, and since it's more streamlined and thinner, it's more pocketable.

fenix24ks.jpg

fenix19zk.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, comparing the Fenix to the Q3, the Fenix is more pocketable, esp if you like to use small pockets... In two pair of jeans I have, the Fenix will fit all the way down diagonally, almost horizontally, in the watch pocket and it will fit in ALL of my watch pockets in all my jeans. The Q3 will not turn from any position other than straight vertical making it pretty much not possible to carry the light there.

And from an efficiency perspective, the Fenix is pretty amazing... Sure it isn't blindingly bright like your HDS on uber-high, but it puts out a very usable amount of light with a very decent beam for over two hours on a dinky little AA cell.

I think that someone that owns a Q3 doesn't 'need' a Fenix, but if I only owned a Q3 and was on a tight budget, I'd buy a Fenix, make sure I was happy with it and then sell the Q3.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Can the Fenix use Energizer Lithium AA batts?

I think it would be a good combination with my CMG Infinity for my BOB, one for runtime and one for brightness and both takes easy-to-find AAs.

Wrace

Newly Enlightened
Man, between this forum and the knife forum I found recently my bank account is emptying at an alarming rate.... ;) At least it is not as bad as my firearm fetish.

So, you know what I'm going ask now... where can I buy a FenixLP1??

Thanks

Wayne

gnef

Enlightened
There are a lot of places, and if you search, you would've been able to find them.

look in the b/s/t section for 4seven's thread, if you looke in the dealer's corner, you can see litemania selling them, if you look in the supporting vendor's sites, you'll see www.lighthound.com and www.jsburlys.com selling them as well. i'm not sure if they have them in stock at the moment, but last i checked they did.

Wrace

Newly Enlightened
Thanks

Done deal, just ordered one from lighthound. Issue Check.

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
Nice Omega as well!

... maybe I need a Fenix afterall!

warpdrive said:
I have a QIII and I just bought the Fenix.....no regrets even though they are similar. Since I don't have a rechargeable R123 solution, I will likely use the Fenix more, and since it's more streamlined and thinner, it's more pocketable.

fenix19zk.jpg

redduck

Newly Enlightened
goldenlight said:
The QIII is shorter and fatter, and the Fenix is slimmer and a little longer.

My Fenix L1P 2.5 is actually a tad shorter than my stock QIII.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, it's smaller on all accounts compared to a QIII. It's got a really nice shape, and look to it. It's really seductive. NiMH works great in it, and I have a bunch that I rotate between lights.

It looks much more expensive than it is when you compare it to other lights that look as good. A really cool and very functional tool!