What is a Veteran?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a Veteran
Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.

You can't tell a vet just by looking.

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies
unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the
freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

Father Denis Edward O'Brien/USMC

Last edited:

vaism

Newly Enlightened
Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..
JonSidneyB said:
"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the
freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

Father Denis Edward O'Brien/USMC

:awman: That is beautiful..

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB said:
He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

USMC Sergeant Instructor (trains USMC Officer Candidates), must serve a tour as a Drill Instructor before being eligible to become a Sergeant Instructor) as a correction, the USMC Drill Instructors are at Parris Island or San Diego (trains USMC Recruits.)

Nice passage none the less. Just nit picking details.

Added line

He/She is a college student trying to finish school while at the same time getting deployed to combat zones.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm familiar with that "certain look in the eye" Jon talks about. My grandpa received a Purple Heart and the equivalent of the US Medal of Honor of the Congress for his duties in a war back home. I salute him and other Veterans.

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Jon, nice...
My wifes Grandmother has made front page of two papers in the past month, full uniform.
Today is my daughters 2nd birthday. :)
God speed to all those that provided what we have today, we will always remember!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
If you see an old fart in front of a grocery store selling red paper poppies, buy one! (I did last saturday.) Edit: Thank you Jon.

Larry (VFW Life- at large)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Indeed a "SALUTE" to my fellow Sisters & Brothers who have, are, and will serve in the future!!

...and another "SALUTE" their families & friends who have, are, and will support their loved ones & friends while serving!!

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
DieselDave said:
Thanks Vets

Here is a link to some photos I took of the Blue Angels today. The only neat part about them was I was able to shoot the photos from the parking lot at work.

http://www.dieselsuburbans.com/BluesNov05.htm

Cool pics. When I lived in lake forest some times the Blue Angeles would fly over our house as part of their routine!

I salute every veteran out there.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you VETs.
Thanks for the great post there Jon.
My boys and I called all of their grandpas yesterday to say thank you. I believe it is a great thing for them to learn about.

mut

Last edited: