What to buy?

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a little cash to play with and decided to get a new light (oh what a surprise). But I have been going thru overload when surfing and reading posts as to what to get.

Lately I have been leaning towards the idea of going with rechargeable. I have a modest little Mag 85 setup and figured I'd get good nihms and charger(s) to run it, but I am unhappy with the 3D form factor. I work security and when I patrolled at night in a vehicle it was good to have but that is changed now.
Now I work days at a hospital, so I fluctuate between an older E1, SL Jr., or my G2. My G2 is my go to light and has gotten the most use in the past, but with the little use I get out of my lights on dayshift, the E1 works. Sure as hell beats out all the stock Mini-M*gs that the others carry.

But then the power hunger kicks in, so I start to think about something small like the E1 but with bigger output.

Now I have a second part time job doing some nights so I start thinking about a Stinger or some other rechargeable, or something maybe a bit smaller with same output. Or something near the size of my G2 but with more output.

Thought about the Elektrolumens XM-3 as it runs on inexpensive (and rechargeable) AA'a. But the Blaster and Blaster Jr. looks good too. And now I'm looking at modding a 2D or (preferably) 2C with WA bulb and rechargeables. Would really love to get it set up in 2C.

Then there's the Terrlux 1watt drop in with an advertised 40 lumen output for mini-m*gs. I love it when people are perplexed as to why my light is always so much brighter that theirs, but its the same brand/model:nana: . Also, JMHO, but the mini-m*g is about the best design I have found form a pocketable light that can be used defensively (not as a club). Matters not which end you use for poking, pinching, pressing, punching, or raking. And durable being all metal, so a drop in would be a good upgrade.

Phew, glad to get that all off my chest, been holding it in for a couple of weeks now. regardless, once I start trying to choose I get overload in the brain area, can't decide, and go to bed blurry eyed from surfing for hours looking at options. Yes, yes, i have been here long enough to know "get one of each", but right now I'm looking for just one:laughing:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need a light like my very favorite light. It's a 2C Mag body modded with a Wiz2 convertor running a UX1L at 937 ma and it runs on rechargeable 18650 LiON cells. It gets 3 hours of continuous use or almost 4 hours of intermittant use and is the brightest LED light I own. This U bin 3W is brighter than direct drive T bin LEDs and I absolutely love it to pieces.

Two packs would get you through an 8 hour shift no problem.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Im in a similar boat and have been told numerous time that for the money, the T4 by Inova is a good buy. Do a T4 search on CPF to find out more about the light. Batteryjunction.com has the best price right now.