Premierlights

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would any CPFers familiar with them please post some comments about the various Premierlight models? I've searched around and haven't come up with much. I've heard they're built like tanks, and some of the models have nice features, like multi-level output, a laser in the center, etc.

Greenmountainelectronics seems to be the biggest vendor on ebay, and I've seen a few online dealers. Would also appreciate any ideas on best and cheapest place to buy.

Thanks.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Check the reviews forum and the passaround section for our comments. JSBurly's sponsored a passaround with some of their models. Yes, they're built like tanks, and the modes of operation are nice. The PL-1 had some problems with the switch button breaking during the passaround.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Gentlemen, for the info. and lnks. Found the JSB Passaround thread, but can't link to the associated thread where everyone posted their impressions of the Premierlights. Can you get me there?

Anyone gotten to play with the 3 level PL-10? http://www.premierlight.net/Products_PL_Systems2.htm#PL-10

Here's the ebay link on a PL-10---sounds like a lot of light for the price, but hard to believe it's going to throw 220' without a luxeon emitter. http://cgi.ebay.com/PremierLight-PL...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And the claim is for 600' with their 5w lux! http://www.premierlight.net/Products_PL_Systems2.htm#PL-10

Troy,

I'm trying to figure out the problem with your links, but I'm no expert. Will post it if I get a possible solution.

Andrew

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Troy,

When you are getting ready to post a new message, scroll down towards the bottom of the screen where it says "Additional Options". Is the box checked for "Automatically parse links in text"?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
AF, thanks for starting this thread. I as well was struggling to find a review of these. I'll have to prowl around those links and get educated.

I "won" a few of these recently when JSB was letting some go on eBay. I really didn't expect to win them, now I'm realizing I'm "knee deep" in lights and once again am trying to "reduce numbers or recycle flashlight funds". Indeed they seem to be "built like a tank". I've only taken them out of the box to "appreciate" them.

I was trying to decide whether to sell them or use them as gifts, but would like some references on the WWW to them.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Troy,

Thanks for re-posting the mini-reviews.

As to your links, when you include a link in something other than a CPF post, does it work as a hyperlink? E.g., if you send a "test" e-mail to yourself with a url/link in it, once you receive it, can you hyperlink? If so, then maybe the problem is just with your profile in CPF. Have you tried looking at that box I mentioned in the earlier post?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen that 600' effective distance claim for the 5w model. Let me tell you, that claim is absolutely false! Heck, are there any 5w luxeon flashlights anywhere that have a 600' range? I don't think so, not even close! I've got two of them (actually, didn't expect to win the auction on either one of them....edit: hey, same thing that happened to Sigman! JSB's auctions!)), so be assured that that claim is more than just a huge exageration, it's a really huge one. Neither one of them is as bright as my L4 or my Nitestar 3-cr123 or my Hyperlux V (they all pretty much put out the same amount of light. The Hyperlux is more focused and throws a bit more, though (not my preference)). The optic used gives a lot of light dispersion, but it's not a round beam, more like a warped diamond shape (I don't know what you call that....it's kind of star like). It definitely built like a tank. What else can I say? One of them will be going to my dad for Christmas, most likely, and possibly one to my brother, unless it sells on the B/S/T (that's where it is right now). As it stands, my bro's getting a Q3, but if the Premierlight doesn't sell, then he might end up with that.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
AFAustin said:
Would any CPFers familiar with them please post some comments about the various Premierlight models? I've searched around and haven't come up with much. I've heard they're built like tanks, and some of the models have nice features, like multi-level output, a laser in the center, etc.

Greenmountainelectronics seems to be the biggest vendor on ebay, and I've seen a few online dealers. Would also appreciate any ideas on best and cheapest place to buy.

Thanks.

I have the PL-5, PL-7 (with laser), and PL-10 models.

PL-5: two level light with SOS. Light outputs are relatively dim with a very small hotspot in the center. Unfortunately the beam is not smooth; it is SEVERELY artifacted with weak light and dark rings and other dark spots. This light has by far the worst artifacts I've ever seen!
Enough output to light up small rooms and up to about 10~15 yards.
However, due to weakish light output and artifacts, this light is NOT recommended!

PL-7: Red laser pointer puts out good beam in excess of 200 yards. Six white LEDs output good beam with slight dark area.
White light output is sufficient for rooms, and perhaps up to ~30 yards otherwise.

PL-10: three level light with SOS. Light outputs are good, with good beam, although there is slight dark area to the lower left of the beam. Beam is far smoother than the PL-5. Three LEDs are used for low output, then five LEDs for mid output, and finally all seven LEDs are used for high output.
Outputs are good enough to light up rooms easily, and up to around 50+ yards otherwise.

Sorry, no digital camera, otherwise I would have included shots of respective light beams!

I have purchased thru Green Mountain Electronics on several occassions; as their prices are usually very good. However, their shipping has (recently) become quite slow. So you may have to wait several weeks before orders are shipped!

Hope this helps!

Trashman said:
I've never seen that 600' effective distance claim for the 5w model. Let me tell you, that claim is absolutely false! Heck, are there any 5w luxeon flashlights anywhere that have a 600' range? I don't think so, not even close! I've got two of them (actually, didn't expect to win the auction on either one of them....edit: hey, same thing that happened to Sigman! JSB's auctions!)), so be assured that that claim is more than just a huge exageration, it's a really huge one. Neither one of them is as bright as my L4 or my Nitestar 3-cr123 or my Hyperlux V (they all pretty much put out the same amount of light. The Hyperlux is more focused and throws a bit more, though (not my preference)). The optic used gives a lot of light dispersion, but it's not a round beam, more like a warped diamond shape (I don't know what you call that....it's kind of star like). It definitely built like a tank. What else can I say? One of them will be going to my dad for Christmas, most likely, and possibly one to my brother, unless it sells on the B/S/T (that's where it is right now). As it stands, my bro's getting a Q3, but if the Premierlight doesn't sell, then he might end up with that.

Where is the 600' claim? Not by me! Is that what the box says or something? As I mentioned in response to JSBurly's post on one of my two mini-review threads, these lights aren't going to win any long-throw or best-beam contests, but they sure have great bodies that would be superb mod potential. For the money these lights are good buys, in my opinion. I've had nothing but positive experiences with both the PL-1 and the PL-7. Haven't tried any other PremierLight models. Some will argue that these lights are full of problems, but I haven't found that to be the case.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 600' claim is in the last link on post #4 by AFAustin. When you scroll down in the link to the 1w - 3w -5w model section, it's off in the right hand column. It appears to be a claim made by Premierlight.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, meeshu---very helpful info.

It's pretty common to find lights these days with impressive output housed in mediocre or worse bodies. Do Premierlights present the uncommon flip side of the coin---mediocre output housed in impressive bodies?

Mario (Trashman),

Thanks for that post. Where do they get those figures???!!! Your "full disclosure" on the 5w model is admirable.

Troy,

Damn. Sorry that didn't work. My modest computer knowledge is stumped for the moment. I bet one of the computer whizzes here could solve this in a flash.

Andrew

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
The 600' claim is in the last link on post #4 by AFAustin. When you scroll down in the link to the 1w - 3w -5w model section, it's off in the right hand column. It appears to be a claim made by Premierlight.

That's the way I'm reading it---am I missing something or is that their claim?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's appears to be their claim! Maybe they accidently dropped an extra zero in there. An effective distance of 60' sounds much more reasonable.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shhhh.....I was going to say the same thing, but the sneak in me wouldn't let it out as I have one for sale....

I might have to lower the price again, now!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
Thanks, meeshu---very helpful info.

It's pretty common to find lights these days with impressive output housed in mediocre or worse bodies. Do Premierlights present the uncommon flip side of the coin---mediocre output housed in impressive bodies?Andrew

The Excalibur Superbeam at Circuit City http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/100641/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs is another example of a light that's built like a tank, but has modest output. It is 2xCR123 with two stage output of 2 LED, then 5 LED, which is a very nice feature, but it weighs at ton - 170gr on my wife's kitchen scale - compared to the 62gr of my Fenix L1P on the same scale. The side switch must be digital, because there isn't any momentary off.

You could probably drive a nail with this light or peel out on it with your car, but I just feel that if a light weighs this much, it should be very bright if I'm going to carry it. I keep one on my night stand and one in my car glove box. The low beam is dimmer than my Nite Ize 2AA Mini Mag drop in and the high beam is brighter than the Nite Ize. It's 1/4 inch longer than my Cyclops xenon lights from Sam's Club (which weigh 110gr on my wife's scale), but much narrower.

LightObsession said:
The Excalibur Superbeam at Circuit City http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/100641/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs is another example of a light that's built like a tank, but has modest output. It is 2xCR123 with two stage output of 2 LED, then 5 LED, which is a very nice feature, but it weighs at ton - 170gr on my wife's kitchen scale - compared to the 62gr of my Fenix L1P on the same scale. The side switch must be digital, because there isn't any momentary off.

You could probably drive a nail with this light or peel out on it with your car, but I just feel that if a light weighs this much, it should be very bright if I'm going to carry it. I keep one on my night stand and one in my car glove box. The low beam is dimmer than my Nite Ize 2AA Mini Mag drop in and the high beam is brighter than the Nite Ize. It's 1/4 inch longer than my Cyclops xenon lights from Sam's Club (which weigh 110gr on my wife's scale), but much narrower.

I EDC a brass LionCub with a Pila 150A body. Now THAT'S heavy! :laughing: