Glow in the Dark Projects and Mods

Skylighter

Enlightened
In this thread, post pictures of your glow in the dark flashlight mods and other projects. Also post tips, tricks, and FAQ's using glow in the dark paint and powder.

When posting a picture, please include a short description of the products and procedures used.

If you need a place to host your pictures, then send them to me at [email protected] .

I will start this frenzy with my absolute favorite glow in the dark picture, the Ultimate Headlamp!

momspride.jpg
This is about 1 ounce of Ultra Green Glow in the Dark Powder which is stuck to his mohawk using hair spray. The picture is taken with a black light to illuminate his face as well as the glow.​

The story behind this is great. This teenager's mom lets him cut his hair in funky ways during the summer as long as he lets it grow out before school starts. So, he figured he would play a gag on her!

Last edited:

chrisse242

Enlightened
Hmm, that's kinda cool but I guess I'm too old for this. ;-)

I still love my self-made glowtubes. A short piece of clear plastic tube, filled with a glowpowder-epoxy-mix. A small hole drilled through it, and a split ring-attached. I have one on my keys, one on every flashlight I carry and several attached to other items. They also make great give-aways.

glowtube1.jpg

Each is 5 or 6mm thick and about 2,5cm long. Very nice if you're trying to find a light in the dark.

Chrisse

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Glass Jellyfish Paperweight

jellyfish1.jpg

This peice of art was created by Heath Conner. I dont know how he does it, but he can create 3-dimensional sculptures inside of glass. I beleive he called it a negative mold.

For glass artwork, Heath buys a special version of Ultra Green Powder called UG Large. It has a large particle size. It is about 10% brighter than our regular Ultra Green. Because of the large sized particles, it is horrible for paint and other "thin" applications. But it is great for any type of molded medium like glass, cement, wax, etc.

Picture was taken under black light.

Heath Conner is available as a Glass Artist for custom work. I have seen a lot of his peices and he is very good. He uses our products in a variety of ways. I will post some more of his art next week. In the meantime, he can be contacted at [email protected] .

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the dark Enterprise NCC-1701 Model
enterprise-day.jpg
led-enterprise.jpg

glow-enterprise.jpg
glow-in-the-dark-enterprise.jpg

Craig Gildroy ([email protected]) makes high end models complete with sounds, lighting, and.....glow in the dark. For this project, he used our solvent-based paints: Ultra Green, Ultra Blue, Pure Blue, and Economy Green.

Lower pictures are taken in darkness (no blacklight).

I beleive Craig is available to do custom projects. Contact him directly for more info.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Here's a few of my glow projects:

A LuxI mod with GID paint on the Lux's slug (ultra blue behind the optic):

My latest ArcAAA mod (ultra green paint on the base of the LED):

My GL3R with GID+epoxy bezel ring & other goodies (the LED tailcap also has GID paint, but I forgot to take a pic of that end):

My desk had specs of GID powder that spilled out of a bag once, and I have some spots of glowing epoxy on the carpet under my desk, and on the kitchen table. :sssh: don't let Mrs. GreenLED know! I've also been thinking about painting the light switches :crazy: but I can find those even with my eyes closed, so I can't really justify the need.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Here's a few of my glow projects:

My GL3R with GID+epoxy bezel ring & other goodies (the LED tailcap also has GID paint, but I forgot to take a pic of that end):
gl3glow.jpg
gl3glow1.jpg

My desk had specs of GID powder that spilled out of a bag once, and I have some spots of glowing epoxy on the carpet under my desk, and on the kitchen table.
sssh.gif
don't let Mrs. GreenLED know! I've also been thinking about painting the light switches
crazy.gif
but I can find those even with my eyes closed, so I can't really justify the need.

Nice work Green.
goodjob.gif
Details on the making of the bezel ring would be nice, or I may have to tell Mrs. GreenLED about the "glow carpet".
tongue.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Beamhead said:
Nice work Green.
goodjob.gif
Details on the making of the bezel ring would be nice...

:thanks: for the compliments. I followed Darkzero's GID+epoxy recipe, and also added as much powder as I could. The mix almost looked clumpy for a bit; overdid the powder part, I guess, :crazy: so I mixed in an extra drop of epoxy and it got runny again.

I had to continue to turn the bezel round and round for a long time to keep the epoxy from dripping out. Even when the epoxy seems to solidify, it slooooowly moves (with gravity). At one point I got a "diaper call", and one of the sides is slightly thicker than the other. Also, I used masking tape along the edges of the ring to keep the edges smooth. You can also use a toothpick to clean off excess while the stuff is curing.

Beamhead said:
...or I may have to tell Mrs. GreenLED about the "glow carpet".:p
I'll have to smite you again for that one! :laughing:

Skylighter

Enlightened
"A Light for Life" Glow in the Dark Candles
glow-candle-1.jpg
glow-candle-2.jpg

glow-candle-3.jpg
glow-candle-4.gif

These candles were made by a non-profit organization called "A Light for Life" which can be found at www.alightforlife.com . This company generally suggests these candles as gifts for hospital patients.

These gel candles contain Ultra Green Large and Pure Blue Powder. The "changing" candle has both Ultra Green Large and Pure Blue in it.

Although not shown, Glow in the Dark Sand and Rocks also work very well in candles.

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Fishing Lures
fishing-lures-day.jpg
fishing-lures.jpg

These fishing lures were manufactured by Michigan Stinger http://www.mistinger.com . They use almost all of our glow paints and apply them with an airbrush. This is one of the very few times you will see Zinc Red and Zinc Orange used in a retail product. Glow Picture taken in dark, without black light.

Last edited:

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Handheld.....um......Flashlight

dildo.jpg
dildoglow.jpg

This is another peice of pyrex style art from Heath Conner. He has a technique that allows him to embed a hollow area filled with glow powder, in this case Pure Blue. Heath can be contacted for custom projects at: [email protected]

[Update: Shortly after I posted this pic, Heath emailed me to say that the Ultra Green, Ultra Blue, and Pure Blue powders work in his process. But the Zinc Red, Zinc Orange, and the Daytime products melt from the heat.]

Last edited:

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Model of Star Trek's Doomsday Machine

doomsday4.jpg
doomsday1.jpg
doomsday2.jpg
doomsday3.jpg
doomsday6.jpg
doomsday5.jpg
doomsday7.jpg

This model screams of CPF, incorporating glow powders and multiple LED's, some flashing, some steady.

His technique for applying glow powder:
"Using the airbrush, I sprayed different colors of glow powder mixed in Testors clear lacquer and thinned with lacquer thinner. Some glow powder was also directly sprinkled on. Blue, aqua, green and red in appropriate places were used. The nose of the Doomsday got a good dose of very bright aqua glow paint. The front of the ill-fated USS Constellation got a rubbing of red glow powder around the front sides of the ship. Finally all the powders were sealed with Future Floor Polish."

I found this model on the web and sent an email to its owner asking his permission to post on CPF. He replied and said "Sure, I am a member of CPF and was reading it when your email arrived." Come to find out, this model was made by our very own TrueBLue.

An extremely detailed website with build instructions and plenty of pictures can be found at: http://www.culttvman.com/billy_lehner_s_doomsday_machin.html .

TrueBlue also has several other models at that site. If you are into Star Trek models, I suggest you ask him to send the pictures of his collection. They are fairly intricate.

Last edited:

Skylighter

Enlightened
Glow in the Dark Batmobile Model
bat1.jpg
bat2.jpg

Glow in the Dark Fast and the Furious Honda Civic Model
model-car-honda.jpg

Bill Spencer creates models with very intricate details. He uses glow paint as you would a light on a real car. You typically can not see the paint itself, only the reflection.

Batmobile:

For the batmobile, Spencer used Pure Blue Solvent Based Glow Paint. He first covered the underside of the ribbed hood with metalic foil to protect the plastic from the solvents in the paint. Then he painted a layer of the Pure Blue. The light from the Glow Paint illuminates the engine compartment. He also applied some to the wheels.

Honda Civic:

The bottom of the Honda was done by mixing the Economy Green Powder with epoxy.

Both models can be found on Spencer's extensive modeling site at www.spencer1984.com . He was also featured on Starship Modeler at: http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery9/bs_batmobile.htm .

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are some fun projects. I have one I wish someone would figure out how to make (I have no way to mold plastic and no GID plastic to mold).

What I would like is a cap that would slide over the bezel of a flashlight (like a beamshaper) but the part pointing out would be crenellated (Castellated, whatever) like this http://ah.bfn.org/a/DCTNRY/b/battle.html

The idea is the little points would extend slightly out into the beam and be charged by the light when it was on. They would then glow when the light was off. I could then find my damn lights in the tent at night when I'm out camping. However if I wanted the light for some tactical purpose the whole thing would just slide off and I could stick it in my pocket.

If someone is interested in the idea I could make a paper mock-up of what I'm talking about.