Has anybody tried to run a SF M4 on Rechargeables?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the title says it all. Is there anybody that has any experience with running a Devastator on rechargeables?

Thanks,
MSax

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking into this myself. As far as I can discern, the answer is no unless you use M3 lamp assemblies.

Here's a quote from this thread at post #6: "The M4 LAs don't have a proven rechargeable solution that I know of but you can use M3t LOLA and HOLA with Pila 168s or 17670 from AW in there."

I have a M3 Turbo arriving on Monday and will stick a A19 extender on it and try 2 Pila 168S batteries. I think this will work, tho it may need a JS Burley Pila spring between the LA and the first battery. (Thanks Topper for the info). I'm really not in the mood to spend $4 for 20 minutes of diminishing light with primary 123s, so I hope the rechargable solution works.

I'm on the upside of the learning curve here, so if someone who knows what they are talking about contradicts me, believe them. :)

I'll advise if I can get the M3T + A19 to make light, assuming my free JSB spring arrives. Thanks JSB!

Edited: I notice in the thread I cited, that Topper is using an M4 with 2 A19s and 3 168S batteries, using the M4 LAs.

best regards

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
If you add two A19's to the SF M4 it will hold three 168s Pilas and run M4 lamps. I have ran one of mine like that for quite awhile. My other M4 is run on two 168s using lamps for the M3T. The M3T with one A19 and 2 168s Pilas will light my MN16 lamp without a double tap. I use a Pila spring in most as it helps in some and I can't see it hurts anything to leave them in. The L6 runs 2 150s Pilas with spring would work at times without the spring but the spring is a good thing to have in place.

Topper

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega put two bare li-ions, probably 17670's in his M4 and stuck the M6 HOLA in it. He told me to take it outside and try it out. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't think it had been modified, but boy was I surprised to see all that light coming out of it.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took 3 unprotected RCR123's and a dummy with the LOLA for the M4 and forgot to take a picture with my M60 flashbulb. (charged to 4.2v, too close to the edge, YMMV) good luck, and You Have Been Warned.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my M3T today. The MN16/225 lumen LA works fine using one A19 and 2x Pila 168S with no Pila spring (though JSB was nice enough to send me a couple for free).

m3T.jpg

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
I run my M4 on 2 x 168S's and MN16 too, great setup! :D

As a side note, I have never had to double tap to get my 150S's to light up either a P90 or MN16. Has anybody any ideas why this might be, have they been changed at any point?