5W Modded Dorcy Metal Gear//minimag 1w

RCatR

Enlightened
I hope this is in the correct category...

I bought a dorcy 1w flashlight and adapted it to hold 2 cr123's, and turned a heatsink assembly that replaces their cheap plastic assembly

my question now is: with a direct 6V what emitter should I use?

i was thinking about the Lux3 UX1N, or the Lux5 WS1X or Lux5 UYAT

from the way i modded it it would be possible to rig up a 3V source, by runnning the cr123's in parallel.

im also taking the 1W Luxeon from the dorcy and popping it (with a heatsink) into a minimag, should i keep the 1W 1ohm resistor i pulled from the dorcy? I dont think that 3v direct from AA's in a minimag would really hurt it at all..

thanks for any advice, in advance

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCatR...this should probably be in the "Homemade and Modified Lights" forum. A Moderator will probably move it there. You're bound to get LOTS of advice over there from our rather deep pool of "modding mad-men"! BTW...welcome to CPF! Stick around for a while, and hold on to your wallet...and when all else fails, BUY THEM BOTH!!!

PJD

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing you could do is go with two of the 3.7-4.2V rechargeable RCR123s in a parallel pack. Driving something like a UX1L would be very nice. I have a UX1L Mag that runs on two parallel 18650s and it is my very favorite 'larger' LED light.

RCatR

Enlightened
my overall goal is to make a surefire wanna be--120 lumens is my ideal situation, having a near 120 lumen runtime of more than an hour would be awesome, i already have a TV1L maglite for the use of long run time

-120ish lumen small light that has at leasst 1 hour bright time

**edit**
i dont have the TV1L maglite anymore, i burnt it otu by trying to OC it....it died instantly when i put 7.5v to it. RIP bc im an idiot at 2am

Last edited:

Latest posts