Looking for an LED diving light

WinstonSmith

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have suggestions on a relatively cheap LED light for a diver? I turned up my future bro-in-law in the gift lottery this year. He is an avid diver, and I'd like to bring some light into his life.

I'd like to go LED, with common (ie: non-123) batteries, and something with
some oomph, as my understanding is the local waters are VERY silty.

Comments? Suggestions? Outright flames?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
About the only diving light I have heard of that has any oomph is one made by UK I think that you can get with a 4 watt LED. They have two versions, one uses 4 and the other 8 C cells. I am not a diver but I figure unless the water is really clear anything less than 3 watts driven at spec or more probably will be too weak to be useful. If you want cheap cheap you will probably have to stick with incans.

freedom

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I saw that UK eLED before and I agree with what Lynx Arc said. I think incandescent would be better, right?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have and use an Ikelite - now 30 years old.

My personal choice for a new one would be a PCa - 6 x AAs in a very compact design with a tight beam. If loaded up with Li AAs or NiMH cells, it would be a star performer.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Princeton Tec LED Shockwave rechargeable, not it's not cheap, but it's one of the best diving lights you can get for the money.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
If you just want to see your instruments, any of the 1W and up lights from Princeton Tec or UK will do. If you are looking for penetration/reach, nothing really available. There incandescent/HID still rules.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The UK 4AA has both incandescent and LED versions. There's also a dedicated version, the UK miniQ40 - basically the same light, with dive-rating and extra rubber straps to attach to your mask.

Pelican also makes really good diving lights. People will start recommending Princeton Tech pretty soon, but I prefer Peli's.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The Pelican Super Sabrelite (with the backwards mounted LED) would be a decent dive light. It's available in bright yellow as well as black.

The 3 C cells provide hours of light, and it's big enough to hold comfortably with diving gloves on. The light is test to many feet; I think 100 or so. The light is turned on/off by twisting the head, easy to do with gloves too.

The beam is one of the most concentrated I've ever seen. At 20 feet it spreads to just 18 inches square (really square) with literally zero side spill. Really. No side spill outside that 18 inch hot spot. This is great for under water use.

I think it's model 2020, though it could be 2040.